u-he refurbished Preset Browser discussion

Official support for: u-he.com
tasmaniandevil
KVRian
546 posts since 22 Mar, 2005 from Germany

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:25 am

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Is renaming a folder in Windows Explorer supposed to clear the favorites? That's definitely not ideal.

Expected Result: I'd expect the favourite setting to be a patch-level tag so if I do something like move a patch to a different folder using Windows Explorer, the favourite status is retained.

Note: I remembered there's a Rename Function in the Browser, which indicates to me I should've used that, but by the time I thought of it, it was already too late.
Favourites and junk status tagging are bound to the patch name and the folder they lie in.
Since you can theoretically have different presets with the same name in different folders (example: if you have installed two soundsets, there might be identically named presets in each of the soundsets, yet they are totally different presets), you'd get in trouble if the favourites would only be assigned by patch name.

If you change the folder structure from within the Windows Explorer or Mac Finder, then you will lose the favourite status of the presets in those renamed folders.

As you already mentioned, renaming (and other operations, like duplicating or deleting) files and folders can now be done directly from within the preset browser page. This way the database always knows what you changed and the favourite status of your presets will be kept intact.

tasmaniandevil
KVRian

Re: u-he refurbished Preset Browser discussion

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:27 am

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:This is more of a workflow feature request: please add the ability to for the folder section of the browser to scroll automatically while I click and drag.
Yup, as EvilDragon mentioned, it's already on the improvements list.

PatchedUp85
KVRer
3 posts since 31 Dec, 2017

Post Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:05 am

So is this browser change planning to come to Diva in a future update? Would love to have these options.

P.S. Thanks for all the hard work Urs and U-he team!

#rob
KVRian
501 posts since 20 Aug, 2013

Post Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:11 am

PatchedUp85 wrote:So is this browser change planning to come to Diva in a future update?
Yes, it is. But we don't know yet when exactly that will happen. Only that it will.
Cheers,
Rob
u-he | Support | FAQ | Patch Library

waltercruz
KVRAF
1602 posts since 4 Dec, 2011 from Brasília, Brazil

Post Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:12 am

PatchedUp85 wrote:So is this browser change planning to come to Diva in a future update?
From U-He, on twitter:
Urs wrote: Yep, we'll update each product one by one. Coincides with new & modern preset browser. Repro is done, Zebra beta in our forum, Diva beta following shortly. Everything else is set to happen throughout next two quarters.

PatchedUp85
KVRer
3 posts since 31 Dec, 2017

Post Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:31 am

Nice, looking forward to it.

beely
KVRAF
1608 posts since 6 Jul, 2013

Post Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:47 am

Preset question - Repro-1 (1.1.0, OSX)

When I copy (or move) any of the preset h2p files from the local to the user preset folders, why do they not show up in the file browser?

Edit - ok, had to manually refresh the browser, reloading the plugin alone is not enough - then they seem to show up...

tasmaniandevil
KVRian

Post Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:45 am

beely wrote:Preset question - Repro-1 (1.1.0, OSX)

When I copy (or move) any of the preset h2p files from the local to the user preset folders, why do they not show up in the file browser?

Edit - ok, had to manually refresh the browser, reloading the plugin alone is not enough - then they seem to show up...
If you move or copy presets around by using the Mac Finder, there is no way for the plugin to know about this. That's why a refresh is needed in this case.
Be aware that you will also lose any favourite markings you made to patches you move around when using Mac Finder, since the favourites status is connected to preset name and to preset location.

One advantage of the new browser is that you don't need to use the Finder anymore to move or copy or delete presets or folders. You can do it all from inside the preset browser. This way the browser is instantly aware of the changes (no need for a refresh) and it will keep the favourites status.

Joe Leidigkeit
KVRer
23 posts since 29 Sep, 2006

Post Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:36 am

Hi.
I really like that the search function goes even into the description field.
So when I find a preset that could fit into a new (or old) song I have in mind, I just type "Song A" somewhere into the description field and then later just search for "Song A" and all presets that are suitable for that Song are showing up. So I dont have to create a new folder for every new idea. Very helpful!!!

The only thing I really wish for is the chance to rename the favorites (in the Browser AND the right-click menue)!
I am colour-blind and sometimes it's very hard to distinguish between the colours. Especially in the right-click menue. But I think this request was mentioned befor in this thread. :pray: :pray:

And is it feasible to put an 'back-arrow" (don't know the English term) on the upper left corner in the Preset Browser? Like for example in the Spotify app.
When I use the search funtion and save a preset from the search results it switches to its folder. Expected behavior, ok. But it would be great to just click this 'back-arrow' to return directly to my search results, respectively to the whole browser history.

So, yes and of course the loading times. Zebra needs several minutes before showing up my presets. (i7-6700 4.00GHz Win10) Hope, your new workaround is successful. :)

Diva:
Are you planning a new 'full-screen' for the preset browser in Diva? Because the the old Folder Window (down-left) has become far to small after all this happy years. :pray:

Bazille:
Now the FX section at the bottom goes blank if you switch to the patches and the "midi-section" from the tweaks page dissapears. It would be nice if the FX section would disappear at the bottom, but the "midi-section" (Voices, Pitch, Stack...) stays visible.

So, can't wait to use Diva and Bazille with the new preset browser. It took me some weeks but now when I switch from Repro and Zebra to Diva or Bazille I realise how amazing this new Preset Browser really is!!! Thanks for your hard work!

tasmaniandevil
KVRian

Post Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:54 am

Joe Leidigkeit wrote:The only thing I really wish for is the chance to rename the favorites (in the Browser AND the right-click menue)!
We have an improvement request ticket for this, but no decision has been made yet. So it won't happen now, but it might happen in the future.
Joe Leidigkeit wrote:When I use the search funtion and save a preset from the search results it switches to its folder.
That's actually a bug, which has been fixed recently. Should not happen anymore in the next beta version.
Joe Leidigkeit wrote:So, yes and of course the loading times. Zebra needs several minutes before showing up my presets. (i7-6700 4.00GHz Win10) Hope, your new workaround is successful. :)
Sorry about that. Please make sure that malware scanners are excluding the u-he data folders from their scans. This will already speed up this first scan immensely.
The next beta will have a preference to disable the automatic scan at first startup, so you can do it manually whenever you need to refresh the database.
And the automatic scan will now run in the background, means you will already be able to browse and use presets while the scan is still ongoing. Just some features like preset saving or tagging will be blocked during the scan phase.
Joe Leidigkeit wrote:Diva:
Are you planning a new 'full-screen' for the preset browser in Diva? Because the the old Folder Window (down-left) has become far to small after all this happy years. :pray:
Diva's new browser looks great (imho). There is a lot more space now than in the old browser. I think you'll like it. :)

Joe Leidigkeit
KVRer
23 posts since 29 Sep, 2006

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 am

Great news & thank you for the quick reply. :)

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
5776 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:49 am

The right click menu in the new browser currently says "Mark as favourite" repeated 8 times. Instead, I'd suggest updating the menu to read:

Mark as favourite 1
Mark as favourite 2
Mark as favourite 3...

Currently, the only differentiator is the order in the list and the color of the icon. However, if you're colorblind, and/or your skin doesn't have the icon support yet to show the colored circle, you'll have to count from the top to know which favorite category you're assigning to. Adding the favourite number to the menu should be very simple and would make it obvious and more usable for anyone who has colorblindness.

Treeper
KVRist
52 posts since 5 Mar, 2004

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:44 am

As has been said earlier, I'd also prefer an ability to rename the favourites - I love the colours, but re-naming would be spot-on...

EvilDragon
KVRAF
17158 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:49 am

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:The right click menu in the new browser currently says "Mark as favourite" repeated 8 times. Instead, I'd suggest updating the menu to read:

Mark as favourite 1
Mark as favourite 2
Mark as favourite 3...

Currently, the only differentiator is the order in the list and the color of the icon. However, if you're colorblind, and/or your skin doesn't have the icon support yet to show the colored circle, you'll have to count from the top to know which favorite category you're assigning to. Adding the favourite number to the menu should be very simple and would make it obvious and more usable for anyone who has colorblindness.
Good idea!

stardustmedia
KVRAF
1641 posts since 12 Dec, 2012 from Switzerland

Post Thu May 03, 2018 5:15 am

Probably it has been mentioned already:

It would be good, if the browser remembers its last state, like in which folder I was, and collaps/expand state of all the folders.

At the moment I always have to reopen the THIRD PARTY folder, where I have my presets in. All other new features/folders are expanded, when I come back. And they use up too much space, so I have to close them again.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Return to “u-he”