u-he refurbished Preset Browser discussion

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks guys - keep it coming! I'm sure Viktor and Howard will read and discuss things. That's also why we're having this thread :)
noiseboyuk wrote:Warm in particular is one of the most searched attributes I'd have thought, and nothing currently quite covers it.
"Warmth" is also the most subjective type of attribute. It's something else for everyone.

We deliberately decided to keep the character pairs as attributes that are highly agreeable. Cold<->Warm would fuel a lot of discussion, whereas "clean" and "distorted" for instance are pretty commonly agreeable.

winds350 wrote: Would it be possible to either provide the option to turn off drag and drop, or to reduce it's sensitivity? It's fine with a mouse, but with my pen/tablet, and with my touch screen, I've already inadvertently moved folders into other folders several times
I'm experiencing the same issue while using just a mouse. When I left-click a folder, the browser won't select it until I release the mouse button. Because it's waiting to decide whether I'm going to release a button or I will start dragging it. This behavior creates two problems:

- there's a lag when switching between folders
- folders can be accidentally dragged to a different location (and there's no undo for this!)

I guess, the more natural behavior would be to select folder immediately after clicking it (and display its content in the preset pane right away), and activate the drag'n'drop function only if the mouse button wasn't released after say 0.5 seconds.

I think at the very least, your own folder strategy should all be categories.

rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

hehehe, good point ;)

Urs wrote:hehehe, good point ;)
:-)

rsp
sound sculptist

I heard that NI toyed with the idea of a 'Musical' category,
with subcategories of bread and butter, but didn't have
as many fitting presets as the lines of code needed to implement it :dog:

Urs wrote: lack of vision/psychic abilities on my side :oops:
If your product line is the result of anything lacking,
heaven help the competition when you finally hit your stride :hyper:

drzhnn wrote:
winds350 wrote: Would it be possible to either provide the option to turn off drag and drop, or to reduce it's sensitivity? It's fine with a mouse, but with my pen/tablet, and with my touch screen, I've already inadvertently moved folders into other folders several times
I'm experiencing the same issue while using just a mouse. When I left-click a folder, the browser won't select it until I release the mouse button. Because it's waiting to decide whether I'm going to release a button or I will start dragging it. This behavior creates two problems:

- there's a lag when switching between folders
- folders can be accidentally dragged to a different location (and there's no undo for this!)

I guess, the more natural behavior would be to select folder immediately after clicking it (and display its content in the preset pane right away), and activate the drag'n'drop function only if the mouse button wasn't released after say 0.5 seconds.
Maybe there needs to be a move lock?

I think I found a bug in the browser. I'd expect that I'd be able to bulk-tag patches. Urs mentioned this as an advantage of the new browser prior to release when I first raised the idea of adding tagging to the save dialog.

So here's what I'm doing:

1. Go to Bass folder
2. Highlight all patches in the folder
3. With all patches selected, right click the word Category to open the Category selection menu
4. Select Category Bass -> Bass

Expected Result: all patches should be tagged as Bass.

Actual Result: only the patch whose name appears in the window is tagged.

Also, since a patch can have multiple "Features" and "Characters" it would be good if that menu stayed open until the user clicked away. Let's say I want to tag something as having the following Features: 1) Poly 2) Effects, 3) Slow Release with a Character of 1) Dark, 2) Soft, 3) Vintage.

That's a lot of menu opening and closing and extra clicks to tag the patch. If the menu stayed open, it would be MUCH more efficient!

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I think I found a bug in the browser. I'd expect that I'd be able to bulk-tag patches. Urs mentioned this as an advantage of the new browser prior to release when I first raised the idea of adding tagging to the save dialog.

So here's what I'm doing:

1. Go to Bass folder
2. Highlight all patches in the folder
3. With all patches selected, right click the word Category to open the Category selection menu
4. Select Category Bass -> Bass

Expected Result: all patches should be tagged as Bass.

Actual Result: only the patch whose name appears in the window is tagged.
The preset inspector shows only the currently loaded preset. Think you could edit the preset name, would you like all presets that are selected change their name? Same goes with tags. You edit what you see in the inspector! It would be different if we make the inspector multi selection capable. But that comes with its own bag of problems.

When you want to tag the selected presets, drag them onto the "smart folder" of the tag you want to add.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Also, since a patch can have multiple "Features" and "Characters" it would be good if that menu stayed open until the user clicked away. Let's say I want to tag something as having the following Features: 1) Poly 2) Effects, 3) Slow Release with a Character of 1) Dark, 2) Soft, 3) Vintage.

That's a lot of menu opening and closing and extra clicks to tag the patch. If the menu stayed open, it would be MUCH more efficient!
The best and recommended way to edit all tags of a preset is the "tag with patch"-dialog. It gives a better overview and navigation if you want to edit several tags. The context menu is only meant for quick edits.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I mentioned this before the release in the main RePro-5 thread and I know Urs likes the current approach, but having spent some time with the browser I feel even more strongly about it: I'd really like the option to save tags at the time I save the patch. The current system is great for tagging existing patches or tagging in bulk, but as I start to make my own, I want the option to tag in the save screen while everything is fresh in my mind. I could always ignore this option and tag in he browser (current state) if I was lazy, but having the optional ability to set tags in the save dialog would be nice.

Totally not expecting this for an initial release, but maybe something to revisit in the future.
It's already on our list for a future release. We can't promise anything, though.

I am not comfortable with 'Brass' as a main folder. Brass should be a subfolder of 'Orchestral' or 'Acoustic'. Strings also, but brass especially. Brassy? Horns? Horny? If you include Brass then where is the 'Woodwinds' folder? This synth does woodwind type sounds as well as brass.

If 'Brass' then why not a 'Sitar' folder? :hihi:
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

Default NKS tags:

If u-he is going for NKS compatibility, these main category tags should be respected, when possible. Simple as that. Don't care about how "comfortable" somebody is about a certain category being main or not.

Return to “u-he”