Satin - Noise reduction systems

Official support for: u-he.com
Winston Smith
KVRer
1 posts since 9 Jan, 2018

Post Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:30 am

First of all I would like you to know that I'm a big fan of your satin plugin. The ability to encode and decode Dolby A, B and DBX I/II is worth gold!

This could be extended. I would like to know if you could implement other noise reduction systems like Telcom c4, Highcom or Dolby C/S and SR in the plugin? Or maybe "just" one or two of them? This would make it possible to considerably expand the intended use. But I also know that it is anything but an easy task to recreate these analog noise reduction systems in software. Some people already failed at Dolby C. Is this a question of rights, or is it due to unclear documentation of the procedures?

Thanks for this great plugin. :-)

sascha
KVRian
1021 posts since 2 Oct, 2001 from Berlin, Germany

Re: Satin - Noise reduction systems

Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:37 pm

I'm very curious to try out C4, since I always kind of liked that system, from a technical POV. We've already been offered some units, although told they need some service beforehand, and occasions to do so are rare these days.
So, that's on the radar, it's just that I can't give a proper time frame, and i can't foresee if we'll succeed modeling such a process.
The Dolbys, especially everything beyond A & B, are tough beasts. Not only are they complex systems, they are also difficult to mimic because important internal parameters (such as timing and windowing) are not documented. Thus, trying to dive deeper into such a thing is a very tedious task, with unclear outcome. The fact that the compander section in the plugin is only a fraction of the overall feature set makes it even more difficult. We might give these things a shot every now and then but that has to be done on the side, when resources allow.

Return to “u-he”