Request: Add 1 Voice option to Diva and Bazille like Repro-5

Official support for: u-he.com
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
6183 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:18 am

Bazille and Diva go down to a minimum of 2 voices, and it would be great to have a 1 voice option as well, like with repro-5. Is on the to do list?

For me, it would be good for mpe with Bitwig because in mono or legato mode, you still get polyphony based on the number of voices because the voices are split into different channels.

I currently own repro but not diva or bazille, but I probably would if I could use mpe expression in mono. Given that it works fine with repro-5 due to the 1 voice setting, this could helpful in the others too.

cheers
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

EvilDragon
KVRAF
17155 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Re: Request: Add 1 Voice option to Diva and Bazille like Repro-5

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:23 am

Both go to one voice, too. Just select "mono" or "legato" voice modes.

It would be pretty ridiculous if that weren't possible from day one (it was possible from day one). Did you even try the demos? :D

pdxindy
KVRAF
14153 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:49 pm

EvilDragon wrote:Both go to one voice, too. Just select "mono" or "legato" voice modes.

It would be pretty ridiculous if that weren't possible from day one (it was possible from day one). Did you even try the demos? :D
That is not the same when using MPE

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:21 pm

EvilDragon wrote:Both go to one voice, too. Just select "mono" or "legato" voice modes.

Did you read past the first paragraph? ;)
Mono and legato modes issue was mentioned in paragraph 2.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

Urs
u-he
22624 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:14 am

Hehehe, I would like to avoid repeating the argument.

There's no documentation as to how Multi-dimensional Polyphonic Expression is supposed to work with monophonic synthesizers. In fact, the documentation merely says that a polyphonic synthesizer should act as multiple monophonic instances of itself.

We talked about this before, when Repro-5 set to 1 voice still responds to multiple MIDI channels, it might actually be in violation to the MPE specs should they ever be finalized and should they ever cover the topic. I haven't looked in along time though, I might have to ask William next week.

Anyhow, the voice management in Diva and Bazille was not designed with 1 voice poly in mind. It might not act the same as Repro-5, it might actually not work at all since it's designed to treat mono/legato modes as special cases. It isn't anything that is easily switched from one case to another.

The voice handling in Repro-5 is actually a result of the limitations and difficulties which came up when adding multichannel MIDI to Diva/Bazille/Hive/ACE. It's a completely redesigned system done from ground up, but still at its infancy in some respect. We're going to continue its development and we'll use it in Zebra3 for instance. But we can't just swap it in for Diva or Bazille without potentially breaking compatibility.

I'll be happy to give it a try, but don't get hopes up that it'll just work.

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:54 am

Thanks for the answer. At least it's on you radar as something to think about. It's too bad there's no documentation about how mono should be treated with MPE, it would be a good thing for them to clear up.

If you ever do decide to dig deeper into the MPE thing, or if you bump into any of the Roli people at NAMM, it might be worth a chat. Both their synths (Equator and Strobe) work as one would expect when receiving rotating midi channels. ie. mono and legato modes are 1 voice. And also voices are kept separate even when the same midi channel is used again (like in bitwig if a midi note doesn't overlap but the sound is still heard during the release, expressions are somehow kept separate).

When Diva is set to 2 voice (or any voice) stack, mono and legato do work as mono with MPE. I just usually don't want to stack 2 voices as one and it would be great to see a 1 voice option some day if it turns out to be possible.

Cheers

Return to “u-he”