how about more extreme lo-fi settings for Satin?

Official support for: u-he.com
epiphaneia
KVRian
534 posts since 29 May, 2011 from Germany

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:27 am

I demo-ed Satin some time ago, and even though I loved its basic sound, I didn´t buy it after all, because it sounded too good (!) even at rather extreme settings.

Now I am aware that Satin is basically a tape emulation plugin with a cherry on top, and not a general sound-worse-ifier, but since the basics are all there, would it be a lot of trouble to expand the range of possible settings?

I am thinking of:
- more wow/flutter, think "super slow vibrato"-extreme settings, for instant Boards of Canada.
- tape speed, right down to 3.75" and 1.875".
- added "tape dropouts", scratches, kinks, tears and ruboffs.

That kind of sound I´m after is extremely tedious to reproduce by other means, so at least to me it would be a godsend :phones:

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
5777 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Re: how about more extreme lo-fi settings for Satin?

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:47 am

epiphaneia wrote:- tape speed, right down to 3.75" and 1.875".
Good news: 1.875" already is the minimum tape speed value.

dangayle
KVRian
795 posts since 30 Mar, 2014

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:12 pm

epiphaneia wrote:I demo-ed Satin some time ago, and even though I loved its basic sound, I didn´t buy it after all, because it sounded too good (!) even at rather extreme settings.

Now I am aware that Satin is basically a tape emulation plugin with a cherry on top, and not a general sound-worse-ifier, but since the basics are all there, would it be a lot of trouble to expand the range of possible settings?

I am thinking of:
- more wow/flutter, think "super slow vibrato"-extreme settings, for instant Boards of Canada.
- tape speed, right down to 3.75" and 1.875".
- added "tape dropouts", scratches, kinks, tears and ruboffs.

That kind of sound I´m after is extremely tedious to reproduce by other means, so at least to me it would be a godsend :phones:
I mentioned this in another thread, and I agree with you. Satin is just too friendly to source material. What you are looking for is Goodhertz' Wow Control, which has a lot more grit and grime to it.

sascha
KVRian
1031 posts since 2 Oct, 2001 from Berlin, Germany

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:29 am

By the time we started working on Satin, we had a studio-grade tape construction kit in mind, not an 'instant Boards of Canada' device. In other words, we initially wanted something that made things sound better, not worse, or at least find out what is it, in particular, what makes people rave about the 'tape sound' of the Golden Age. Then we found out our model could be 'misaligned' somewhat to specs that go more into domestic-tape territory, and would still behave 'valid', technically. What we didn't want is an 'audio worsifier' in the first place, instead we wanted to cover the 'good' aspects of tape.

I hear you on the wow & flutter. I've already thought about improving that part, since the transport model is aware of pinch roller & capstan but misses out on some aspects known as 'scrape flutter', and what causes these. We'll consider that in a future update.

Jay Ass Blach
Banned
14 posts since 27 Feb, 2018

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:02 am

No, because Valhalla is doing a dirty tape delay plugin, you have to do it too, understood?

:ud:

spunkmuffin
KVRian
719 posts since 5 Sep, 2014

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:22 am

Will U-he Audio Worsifier (UAW) be released at some point? :clown: The world really needs a super high quality and sophisticated worsifier. Who would do a worsifier worse...I mean better than u-he eh?
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

updog
KVRist
338 posts since 17 Aug, 2008

Post Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:42 am

Very long time no see, everyone. Just logged on to good ol' KVR to find answers for this very question.

Satin's wow & flutter indeed seems very subtle, even though the manual states it goes from "unnoticeable at minimum all the way up to ‘horribly wobbly' at maximum." Putting it like that made me wonder, is my copy of Satin perhaps broken? :hihi: it'd definitely be a good feature to add in the future if you ask me, for those of us that want to "worsify" our audio! Perhaps as a secondary wow & flutter knob for more creative effects.

I guess you could always go with some Waves tape-emulation plugin that makes it easier, but I found a work-around in Satin that works for me for the time being:

Switch to Delay Mode, and move the 'Distance' slider while the music is playing (while the mix knob is at 100%). There's the wonky wow I personally was looking for, because there's something wrong with me and I like that wow that you hear on those old, very worn VHS tapes.
You can automate this slider to arguably give even more control than some of the other tape-emulation plugins, since the ones I've seen pretty much only have a tempo-sync knob. However, I'm not sure if it'll help with a super slow vibrato type of thing you're describing, since the tape seems to "catch up" pretty quickly. Maybe if you'll play around with the settings on it, you might something that works for you.

spacepluk
KVRist
47 posts since 23 Apr, 2006 from Tel Aviv

Post Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:11 am

We need an "El Capistan" killer :P

Return to “u-he”