Hive 1.1 latest build - revision 7485

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote:I'll try to finalise an example of magic sauce this week for a quick demonstration.
When I hear it, I'll try to pretend it's the first Zebra3 audio example. :lol:

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Urs wrote:I'll try to finalise an example of magic sauce this week for a quick demonstration.
It's meant to be... the big difference between Hive and Zebra3 oscillators: Zebra3 will have an editor for it and some in-depth parameters, Hive will have a large library of preset waveforms. Hive might additionally have a unique feature added, but sound-wise I'm working on both atm.

Coming update sounds nice! Is there gonna be any sound improvements?

How do you mean? You'll get new waveforms and ways to tweak them. That alone is an improvement in which sounds you can get.

The updates for Hive have me excited.. my newsletter promo had to go towards it :)

I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would right now and it will be a beast with more waveform options, bring it on!

Urs wrote:
It's meant to be... the big difference between Hive and Zebra3 oscillators: Zebra3 will have an editor for it and some in-depth parameters, Hive will have a large library of preset waveforms. Hive might additionally have a unique feature added, but sound-wise I'm working on both atm.
Wait, I'm genuinely curious about this statement :O.

Is there going to be any change to Hive's sound as it is? I'm aware there's going to be new waveforms and features, but I assumed the sound was going to be the same.

Regardless, is the sound of Hive the same as what we'll hear in Zebra3? :O

Urs wrote:
Sounds awesome Urs. Looking forward to hearing what you're cooking up for both.

Shiek927 wrote:Is there going to be any change to Hive's sound as it is? I'm aware there's going to be new waveforms and features, but I assumed the sound was going to be the same.
Hehehe, valid question. But no, no change in sound per se. Just, the 9th waveform option on the main oscillators will invoke a slightly more elaborate waveform playback engine than needed for the standard waves.

Urs wrote:
Shiek927 wrote:Is there going to be any change to Hive's sound as it is? I'm aware there's going to be new waveforms and features, but I assumed the sound was going to be the same.
Hehehe, valid question. But no, no change in sound per se. Just, the 9th waveform option on the main oscillators will invoke a slightly more elaborate waveform playback engine than needed for the standard waves.
Ahh, I see. So this waveform is going to invoke some Zebra3-ness and that's what you meant :D. Thank you for clarifying!

Separate normal,dirty,cleans settings per osc? Will this ever be a thing?

SeeingInMidi wrote:Separate normal,dirty,cleans settings per osc? Will this ever be a thing?
Since it doesn't only affect the oscillators, but also filters and other things, it's pretty unlikely.
Cheers
Rob
u-he | Support | FAQ | Patch Library

Well there's still a chance that we add more engines, including a "roll your own". It's just not as high of a priority as NKS or more waveforms.

Urs wrote:Well there's still a chance that we add more engines, including a "roll your own". It's just not as high of a priority as NKS or more waveforms.
Love the "roll your own" idea! Urs, if we have to wait another month for 1.2 with "roll your own" I'll take it!

BTW, many of us don't use, need or care for NKS, although I definitely understand why you're doing it. In the long term, though, I am skeptical about "standards" that are so tied to one main developer like NI. I'm much more supportive of truly open source standards when possible, but I know a lot of plugin developers have jumped on board with NKS now, and I understand it's the closest thing to a broad standard right now. A brilliant play by NI, but I remain skeptical of their motives and future flexibility and accountability to the standard. But again, I get why you're doing it. (And this, coming from an NI customer.)

As for your other high priority of waveforms for 1.2, now that's totally universal, applicable without dependencies or prejudice to all Hive users without any extra investment or tools (other than some host software of course).

Our last survey says, NKS users make 45% of our user base. MPE 2%. Still we also improve MPE support.

NKS has the enormous advantage that it's a piece of cake for us, technically, and it forced us to finally add preset tagging. It made us move our asses.

Urs wrote:Our last survey says, NKS users make 45% of our user base. MPE 2%. Still we also improve MPE support.

NKS has the enormous advantage that it's a piece of cake for us, technically, and it forced us to finally add preset tagging. It made us move our asses.
Wow! 45%! I guess I didn't answer that survey. Among my close producer/composer friends, NKS usage is 0%. :D And we all use NI plugins.

But again, I totally get it, and if your numbers come back as that high, it makes even more sense. And it's great to hear that it's a piece of cake for you guys, and I also know you have many people to satisfy. And I wasn't suggesting that you DON'T do NKS, apologies if it came across that way. Anyway, you know I'm super excited about all the other stuff! Go Team U-he!

Return to “u-he”