Hive 1.1 latest build - revision 7485

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote:Well there's still a chance that we add more engines, including a "roll your own". It's just not as high of a priority as NKS or more waveforms.
One of my personal favorites, and what sets synthmaster apart from Hive, is the design your own filter distortion. It’s my understanding that the distortions are built into the filter on Hive. That means the same oscillator waveforms that have always been there will be there. The presets you’ve designed will be the same presets exactly without change. It’s the NEW waves that will offer further design of sound beyond what is standard. Which is what we were all hoping for since page one. What’s great about this project is the headroom Urs and company have given here. It’s expandable and future proof. Love the way you are going about things with Hive... have to admit Urs. You recognized that it wasn’t quite everything it could be, listened to feed back, and made design upgrades without losing the intent here. Sounds great to me. Nicely done. Patiently awaiting updates.

#chessnotcheckers U-he just thinks far. The visions is what sets it apart. The U-he gear is smart. I try not to sound like a fanboy, but 1/2 of my kit is U-he. Think about the open nature of Hive and it’s expandability. That’s great design. Hive is going where others haven’t gone, it just hasn’t got there yet.

Definitely going to pile on the u-he appreciation hehe! they are definitely among the peak of synth-makers. Just look at Zebra2's longevity!! Diva is perfection and I'm always excited for what they do next :D.

Urs wrote:Our last survey says, NKS users make 45% of our user base. MPE 2%. Still we also improve MPE support.

NKS has the enormous advantage that it's a piece of cake for us, technically, and it forced us to finally add preset tagging. It made us move our asses.
I wish there could be a licensing/registration implementation deal,
where NI would license your registration/copy-protection systems,
and hire your folks to nuke Native Access forever. :party:
Of course their sales would explode, which would mean
you'd need a much deserved cut of the action. Could make for
some interesting late-night card games...

...it's a holiday, a guy can dream, can't he? :hyper:

@Dasheesh @Shiek927

Well, as ze Germans say, let us keep the ball flat.

As excited as I am as a developer, it is not done yet. We have not created any new waveforms of our own yet, I've been testing things with some test data. Peeps at u-he have Zebra, WaveEdit and Serum at their disposal to create waveforms, but no-one can check things out really as long as the feature is experimental. I guess the production process for our original set of waveforms might start in about two weeks.

As I said, I hope to have an audio example this week, probably next. Today I think we start public beta testing of Colour Copy, that's always quite the distraction.

Urs wrote:Our last survey says, NKS users make 45% of our user base. MPE 2%. Still we also improve MPE support.

NKS has the enormous advantage that it's a piece of cake for us, technically, and it forced us to finally add preset tagging. It made us move our asses.
That's very pleasing to hear - there are 2 things that would improve this:

1) Embed banknames in exported .nksf patches
2) 'Save as' to a designated folder rather than getting mixed up with the factory NKS patches

Currently I have workarounds for both but it's a faff and these are complicated things most users won't want to deal with.

Klystrack also has some nice functions for generating single cycle waves, by the way. It's a pretty great piece of software in general.

Looking forward to the Colour Copy beta :tu:

Delta Sign wrote:Klystrack also has some nice functions for generating single cycle waves, by the way. It's a pretty great piece of software in general.
I hadn't heard of that, thanks for mentioning it!
Feel free to call me Brian.

bmrzycki wrote:
Delta Sign wrote:Klystrack also has some nice functions for generating single cycle waves, by the way. It's a pretty great piece of software in general.
I hadn't heard of that, thanks for mentioning it!
Yeah, it's pretty cool, especially for "fakebit" stuff. I have no idea how well it plays .mod and .xm modules though. I usually use OpenMPT for that.

U-he should look to the Prophet VS for ideas about Hive. My .02.

Dasheesh wrote:U-he should look to the Prophet VS for ideas about Hive. My .02.
It's one of the main ideas. However, I'm trying to marry two or three concepts without creating a feature creep.

I just think it is a natural fit and makes sense with hive. the idea of the x/y and the wave “transmutation” in what ever form. you already have the relationship with D Smith. what you have reminds me so much of a roland/prophet hybrid, it’s just missing the marriage of a roland super saw and VS style xy “transformation” (I know how much you hate the word morphing), it’s a natural fit. would work beautifully. nothing like it around.

... forgive my mind ramblings here... entertain me for a few seconds. so, let’s say you want to “transmute” from one preset to the next. you have this hexagon x/y pad, and you can assign what ever parameters of the presets you want to the x/y and then “transmute” between them. it’s a natural fit. I am totally perplexed as to how the new oscillator waves would marry into this idea though. is it a basic fade between wave forms? probably not. I think Urs has something special up his sleeve. something, unusual. probably something he learned from the self oscilation of the repro if I had to guess. it’s the only thing I can think of. maybe I’m wrong tho.

FILTER FEADBACK PLEASE

This is the most importand thing in sound design for my music style :( I dont need anything new for Hive but this :(

It works fine both for Ace and Repro but those are not milion-voice-supersound kind of synths.

Psalm of DSP 4:24
Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for Urs is with me; your plugins and your sounds, they comfort me.

By filter feedback, are you talking about the old moog style recycle the audio out through the audio in? because isn't that the same thing as setting filter one and two to the same filter and linking them, and then feeding filter one into filter two? Asking for a friend.

Return to “u-he”