Hive 1.1 latest build - revision 7485

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm continually surprised by how good Hive is. Feature-wise it might have some more potential, but I'll leave that up to the connaisseurs. The thing that was bothering me before I decided to take the plunge and buy it was its visual look and feel. I'm glad I took the plunge in the end, because it works smooth and sounds awesome, but it's the one thing I'd like to see different.

I know it's fresh and different and all, but in some way I take it less serious. I'm just not really on board with the futuristic/science fiction theme, whereas I really like the latest Zebra2, Repro, Presswerk, Satin and Colour Copy skins. They feel like real quality synths and effects to me, rather than a space ship. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh. I respect the designer, for a futuristic/science fiction theme it looks spot on. It's highly subjective and I'm trying to offer a fresh pair of eyes.

If I'm not mistaken I read somewhere that there are some adjustments scheduled for the visual design for an updated version. Is there any indication in what direction that design is going? I'd love to know more about the original rationale behind Hive's visual design and its future.

the thing about Hive is... (and I’m not in any way associated with U-he/hive: or urs for the record, just an end user), it’s a 180 from previous outings from U-he. it’s the complete opposite of every one of U-he’s releases up to that point. it came about because of the need to supply the dance scene with a low cpu competitor. the thing is, it’s a well DESIGNED instrument. it’s not meant to be over engineered. design and engineering are 2 different animals. the current gui was really well done considering it was constrained to cpu loads.

part 2 of that is... I don’t think they ever expected the player crowd to take to it. really. it was just supposed to be for the daw/pre program/preset crowd. the players love this thing tho. what is so brilliant about the whole project is that it’s got so much head room for development right now... they can honestly do what ever the hell they want to do with it. take it to what ever the buying crowd takes it.

part three of that is... it’s in its teen age years so to speak. Hive is completely designed to take advantage of today's DAW environment. to take advantage of that programming side. it was intended for you to use 6-7 different instances at a time. that’s kind of the point. it’s a sound engine that allows for extemly flexible use due to the daw modular environment.

think of Hive as a swiss army knife in a DAW. what we all hoped for was more tools since day one. some FM or FM like wave tabling. from what I’m hearing, that’s exactly where it is going somehow. we just don’t know how yet.

kodnin wrote:I'm sorry if that sounds harsh.
Not at all. Like Dasheesh says, it's the total opposite of what we did before. We overestimated the market and we underestimated the product. The sci fi scheme and the marketing are an expression of that, even though we do like ourselves some sci fi fun.

kodnin wrote:
If I'm not mistaken I read somewhere that there are some adjustments scheduled for the visual design for an updated version.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 0#p6927172

Dasheesh wrote: part three of that is... it’s in its teen age years so to speak. Hive is completely designed to take advantage of today's DAW environment. to take advantage of that programming side. it was intended for you to use 6-7 different instances at a time. that’s kind of the point. it’s a sound engine that allows for extemly flexible use due to the daw modular environment.
I have literally no idea what you could mean with that. Or why other plugins would be different in that regard.

ere2learn wrote:
kodnin wrote:
If I'm not mistaken I read somewhere that there are some adjustments scheduled for the visual design for an updated version.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 0#p6927172
Those first two are really good, especially the first one! :love: It might need some polishing, but that's the kind of visual design I'd prefer for this wonderful synth. 8)
Dasheesh wrote:the thing is, it’s a well DESIGNED instrument. it’s not meant to be over engineered. design and engineering are 2 different animals. the current gui was really well done considering it was constrained to cpu loads.
I agree with you 100% for the technical design. I was mainly talking about the visual design, aesthetics so to speak. :tu:
Urs wrote:
kodnin wrote:I'm sorry if that sounds harsh.
Not at all. Like Dasheesh says, it's the total opposite of what we did before. We overestimated the market and we underestimated the product. The sci fi scheme and the marketing are an expression of that, even though we do like ourselves some sci fi fun.
Maybe I'm a bit too serious to appreciate it. :dog:
Last edited by kodnin on Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chk071 wrote:
Dasheesh wrote: part three of that is... it’s in its teen age years so to speak. Hive is completely designed to take advantage of today's DAW environment. to take advantage of that programming side. it was intended for you to use 6-7 different instances at a time. that’s kind of the point. it’s a sound engine that allows for extemly flexible use due to the daw modular environment.
I have literally no idea what you could mean with that. Or why other plugins would be different in that regard.
look chk. that’s because it is a criteria for you. all your instruments have to adhere to that philosophy. what happened is that the people who bought and use hive tended to have come from a different background. you see that in the posts, and that’s true for me too.

Dasheesh wrote:
chk071 wrote:
look chk. that’s because it is a criteria for you. all your instruments have to adhere to that philosophy. what happened is that the people who bought and use hive tended to have come from a different background. you see that in the posts, and that’s true for me too.
I'm with chk here, i think there may be a language barrier or something?

In any case, those new Hive mock ups have me even more excited for future updates! Always good times being a uhe fan...

Dasheesh wrote:By filter feedback, are you talking about the old moog style recycle the audio out through the audio in? because isn't that the same thing as setting filter one and two to the same filter and linking them, and then feeding filter one into filter two? Asking for a friend.
Old moog style recycle for sweet distortion

Hmmm, honestly, I'm not sure if that makes much sense to me. In my opinion feedback from VCA to VCF only really makes sense in analogue modelling synths, which sacrifice CPU for accuracy. In Hive it might not nearly come out as interesting as anticipated.

Urs wrote: As I said, I hope to have an audio example this week, probably next. Today I think we start public beta testing of Colour Copy, that's always quite the distraction.
Hi Urs, no pressure, but back on July 5 you mentioned you hope to have an audio example soon. I know you're tied up with Colour Copy (which I just bought BTW, it sounds beautiful!) -- but I'm actually still much more excited about Hive's new adventures. Any chance we might hear some examples soon?

ionekvr wrote:
Urs wrote: As I said, I hope to have an audio example this week, probably next. Today I think we start public beta testing of Colour Copy, that's always quite the distraction.
Hi Urs, no pressure, but back on July 5 you mentioned you hope to have an audio example soon. I know you're tied up with Colour Copy (which I just bought BTW, it sounds beautiful!) -- but I'm actually still much more excited about Hive's new adventures. Any chance we might hear some examples soon?
We'll see... this coming week is a big gathering at u-he headquarters. We'll be discussing a lot of strategy and technical stuff.

That said, I was about to post something on Friday or Saturday, but got sidetracked. It pretty much is "something completely different", but then it's not. It's about using a tiny add-on I wrote for Zebra2 which lets us create waveforms for Hive. I totally feel the urge to post a video of that.

Urs wrote:I totally feel the urge to post a video of that.
Give in to the urge, Urs. Give in! :D

Urs wrote:... this coming week is a big gathering at u-he headquarters. We'll be discussing a lot of strategy and technical stuff.
Just please don't get too sidetracked from Hive 1.2 magic!

Return to “u-he”