Echoboy replacement aka ColorSpray?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey Uhe,

as always, ColorCopy is a quality plugin for certain delay types. Great! But I still search for a replacement to get rid of Echoboy because of the Ilok hassle. There is nothing else out there, it's still the best out there for 'analog' sounding complex dub delays imho.

I would wish there was a 'ColorSpray' (so more color dots and more variation in the pattern) delay that gives the complexity that Echoboy has. Especially...

- multiple delays paths for complex layered delays
- dub and tape delays
- MORE modulation for the wet signal
- modulated bandpass filter + brightness control (simple EQ) fur the wet signal
- diffusion
- more saturation
- rich and easy to control self oscillation
- 'rougher' colors

It's not possible to name all the stuff which makes Echoboy so great, but when you step into the advanced section with the EQs and so on it's really a monster. But without a not useful or over-complex control. It's very simple to tweak still and a dream for complex delays and dub delays.

Well, MFM2 can get preeeeetty complex...

Hmm now I feel pretty dumb. :D I really didn't know this one (I think I know most other delays out there)

But it's not about complexety, but to have a lot of possibilities and to get a good sound with most settings. Most 'complex' stuff today sounds bad or just 'interesting' with 70% of the settings but doesn't create a pleasing musical feeling.

Not saying anything about the MFM2 , haven not checked it.
Last edited by midi_transmission on Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It replaced echoboy for me already. Only downside of colour copy that it doesnt have "custom" color where you can make it transparent or sculpt it yourself. But in general CC sounds great out of the box without tweaking on basicly everything. And with minimal tweaking its hard to destroy the sound in a negative way. Its simple to use and effective.

Also funny thing is CC takes less resources inf FL studio then EchoBoy despite being newer plugin and in Studio One 3.5 being shown as heavier then Echnoboy.

This is what we say in our country about german cars - quality never dissapoints. I Realise same can be said about Uhe products. And also even from version 1 99.9% of times bug fee plugins.

Elektronisch wrote:This is what we say in our country about german cars - quality never dissapoints.
Unless it's Opel. :party:

Opel sucks. But that's no news. :P

Actually they might be improving now that they're under Peugeot/PSA...

Now if only those pesky emissions tests would just go away...

Opels are not that bad at all that are released from 2000s :) But old ones.. we say "Opel cars corrode even in a picture" :clown:

Actually my mom had a 1998 Astra (last year of German production before they moved it to Poland IIRC) and it was in tip-top shape, no rust anywhere. Pretty amazing for its age.

midi_transmission wrote:'ColorSpray'
We did some market research (surveys...) which made it pretty clear that people were hoping for a more easy to use, instantly rewarding delay unit.

I personally don't like delays with lots of (algo)rhythmic tap placements. I think that's more of a gimmick than anything which becomes a staple in everyday use -> here's your chance to convince me otherwise... need ear popping examples.

We also did not want to go overly extreme with distortion, noise or modulation. We wanted as much sweet spot as possible. As in, hide the explosive nature of real BBDs or the overly lofi character of tape echoes.

In our design process, each knob and switch was hours of discussion, both its existence and its range. The simple question always was: "How many more people do we get than we lose because of this?" - and that's not just marketing speech, it's about finding a sweet spot between "too little, too late" and "feature creep".

That said, of course, we also like the idea of more complex effects plug-ins. In fact a lot of delay on the spring reverb is related to the discussion of feature depth and overlap with other units which we might or might not do.

double post.. sorry... :arrow:
Last edited by operator on Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone knows more than I do...

One thing i REALLY miss is better control over the Filter in the brightness-control...Only HP or LP to attenuate the character is not ideal for my uses... I like delays which disapear in the "background"/ in the depth of the virtual space of the mix... so i use a BP Filter to remove the high and low engergy of the signal to get the desired effect. also it makes it way easier to mix a track...

would love to see a little highshelf/lowshelf control on the brightness section of the plugin.
Last edited by operator on Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone knows more than I do...

EvilDragon wrote:Well, MFM2 can get preeeeetty complex...
Ok I tried it now. It's certainly a interesting delay, but still prefere Echoboy to this.
Urs wrote:
midi_transmission wrote:'ColorSpray'
We did some market research (surveys...) which made it pretty clear that people were hoping for a more easy to use, instantly rewarding delay unit.

I personally don't like delays with lots of (algo)rhythmic tap placements. I think that's more of a gimmick than anything which becomes a staple in everyday use -> here's your chance to convince me otherwise... need ear popping examples.

We also did not want to go overly extreme with distortion, noise or modulation. We wanted as much sweet spot as possible. As in, hide the explosive nature of real BBDs or the overly lofi character of tape echoes.

In our design process, each knob and switch was hours of discussion, both its existence and its range. The simple question always was: "How many more people do we get than we lose because of this?" - and that's not just marketing speech, it's about finding a sweet spot between "too little, too late" and "feature creep".

That said, of course, we also like the idea of more complex effects plug-ins. In fact a lot of delay on the spring reverb is related to the discussion of feature depth and overlap with other units which we might or might not do.
Hi Urs, thanks for the insider informations. CoCo is certainly a very very nice and good looking delay for a lot of delay tasks. I think you did a very good job! But I was just hoping to get a Echoboy replacement by my fav plugin developer and can get rid of iLok finaly. :D

And I completely agree with the 'sweet spot' thing. That one point were I find most 'complex' effects also very week. The result is mostly just an 'experimental' sound or in a musical context just bad sounding. :)

But exactly this is the point were Echoboy still excels after years (in comparison with other 'complex' delays) in my opinion. Every knob in this thing makes sense, it's easy to control for me. And it's very hard to do bad sounding delays with it, but at the same time it's easy to get very complex dub delay (modulated bandpass in the wet signal) and tweak the 'color' to your liking between clean, very noisy, very distorted. CoCo does sound very nice, but the color bandwith with Echoboy is larger imho. Especially noisy delays and stuff like you would hear in dub/dub techno. For my liking the noise/distortion part in CoCo is also a bit too narrow for this kind of delays.

I love also the 'EQ with the GAIN / DECAY setting' in the wet signal path. It's such a great way to control the delay. You set the EQ and how fast it will decay.

midi_transmission wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Well, MFM2 can get preeeeetty complex...
Ok I tried it now. It's certainly a interesting delay, but still prefere Echoboy to this.
Urs wrote:
Maybe you need mr. Dan Worrall to convince you, then. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnDU6i0aFX8

Return to “u-he”