Urs is...

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs is... ...made of marshmallows because he has sweet ideas XD Do I like everything he does? Nope. Do I express that? Of course.

egbert101 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:43 pm It make me wonder if only a handful of people are genuinely self-aware enough to have independent thought.

The above comic, courtesy of XKCD, expresses my opinion on that whole gamut of philosophical thought.

See, I can't even express an opinion without someone disagreeing, and someone fawning at that disagreement. Then someone mocks what I said, devaluing anything I say. It's almost like my opinion has some kind of merit of truth to it.
<List your stupid gear here>

I'm not mocking what you say. I was trying to explain something using a much pithier way of explaining it than I could come up with, myself: that "it is very easy to assume that no-one else is capable of REALLY having an opinion, when you can't see anyone else's train of thought."

Some people may be more capable of self-reflection than others, but I would think it's a sliding scale and not a binary.

In an un-mocking way, I would like to say that deeming 90% of the world as not "genuinely self-aware enough to have independent thought" seems to me to come near the cusp of a bottomless well of gently dehumanizing, solipsistic thought processes which benefit no-one, not even the ostensibly independent thinkers.

EDIT: either way, I think I probably had better not reply to this thread any more, for my own sake and in the interests of letting it die off.
Last edited by sleepcircle on Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”
― Winston Churchill
Feel free to call me Brian.

bmrzycki wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:51 pm “Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”
― Winston Churchill

Return to “u-he”