Zebra 3 feature suggestions

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:28 am You also could add a "pre-processing" FFT-filter to any kind of wavetable.
Zebra2 has had that since day 0... Z3 will certainly expand on this, too.

Ok, but in vps avenger you can apply those to any waveform type afterwards, it is not a design decision to be made before. You can do design whatever you like and then later add such a pre-generated HP/LP to your waveform with flexible slope. I think in Zebra, I first have to decide, am I going with the FFT generator or not.. I might be wrong again :)

Yeah you're wrong, Urs is basically talking about Zebra's Osc FX, which are basically realtime spectral processors.

Thing is, steep filters with more than 36dB slope always exhibit ringing. That's not resonance, that's the Gibbs phenomenon. It's physical, but by that, not very musical.

And exactly the chebyshev slope sounds pretty musical on midrange and highend, or can fake the ear very well. In Renoise. Maybe if the steepness would decrease the lower the frequency, it was very musical.

The butterworth 4p lowpass is quite good e.g. for cutting off highend from a bass or so. Ok, I can't convince you :?

Urs is hard to convince on this topic. :)

People can always cascade several filters in Zebra. I'll happily make a tutorial on a achieving the Chebyshev thing with 2 or 3 ordinary filters in series.

(It's actually quite easy when you have SPAN or something... you take a normal filter, no resonance, set it to, say, 1kHz... then you take another filter behind it, crank resonance up and move it so "into the slope" of the previous filter around 1.5kHz - 2kHz that the resonance spike reaches back to 0dB. Now modulate both filters in parallel, keeping the relative cutoff offset)

Here's an exaggerated example... normally you'd move the filter cutoffs closer together and use less resonance.
ChebyFake.jpg
(normally you'd cascade 12dB/Oct / 2 pole filters... but let's be creative here...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

When Zebra3 comes out, there should be a sound-design course for it. Not so much a "how to use Zebra3", but about teaching sound-design to students with Zebra3 as the synth of choice :). Zebra's inherent ease-of-use and extreme flexibility makes a perfect teaching ground, even if the learning curve is a tad bit more steep than your generic subtractive synth.

heck, that sort of thing can be done right now with Zebra2 :)

one feature I'm spoiled on by bitwig that I'd love to see in Z3 is the ability to type in parameter values complete with basic math, typing in actual values (frequencies, notes, etc)... like being able to type in C#3/3 to get the third subharmonic of middle C# is pretty slick.

Urs wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:04 pm Here's an exaggerated example... normally you'd move the filter cutoffs closer together and use less resonance.

ChebyFake.jpg

(normally you'd cascade 12dB/Oct / 2 pole filters... but let's be creative here...)
OFF-TOPIC alert: what analyzer are you using here, and can you recommend a good oscilloscope? (All the scope VSTs I'm finding are scrolling, envelope displaying and useless for looking at waveforms. I just want one that works like a real oscilloscope.)

SynthasaurusRex wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:46 pm
Urs wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:04 pm Here's an exaggerated example... normally you'd move the filter cutoffs closer together and use less resonance.

ChebyFake.jpg

OFF-TOPIC alert: what analyzer are you using here, and can you recommend a good oscilloscope? (All the scope VSTs I'm finding are scrolling, envelope displaying and useless for looking at waveforms. I just want one that works like a real oscilloscope.)
That's Voxengo SPAN :)

Ok, I will stop now posting kind of nonsense requests, I am sure you already have more than enough good or better ideas.

So release is planned at summer?

accessdune3 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:02 am We want some snippnet, please :-)
Oh yes, please.

Return to “u-he”