Twangström Public Beta (Update: rev 8131)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tempting.... :? tempting.... :? tempting.... :? tempting.... :?
wait for more video test

btw wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:37 am Question for the team: the coupling control, which is now an on/off switch, was formerly a knob as shown in the recent newsletter. Was the plan always for it to be on/off and that was simply a stand-in graphical element for the switch, or was control previously continuous as the old GUI suggests? I'd be curious to hear it at 50%, given the significant difference between on and off.
Huh, you've asked for it. Now we're talking... :D
We had a knob in former versions, which allowed by seamless coupling. This worked well with the 2-spring variant, but not so well with the 3-spring tank models. It's not our inability, it's just that tanks with 3 springs are special: when you model these, you need to follow laws of network theory, and with physical modelling you have so-called scattering junctions, which are 3-port in this case. You can compare the problem with T-junctions for coaxial cables, like in cable network or radio-frequency territory: with 3 ports, Pythagorean law applies, and you can't meet those 3 criteria at once that you'd have with 2- or 4-port: lossless, reciprocal and matched. Result is that, with 3 signals coupled you can never have total isolation when you match their 'wave impedance', and once you force 1 or 2 to take on different impedances, they're no longer matched, and this creates a resonance hotspot at the junction. Which sounded not so good, as testers had noticed.
What we did then was to omit the junctions on both ends of the springs completely for an 'off' state, so that the 3 springs can swing independently, but free of any additional resonance buildup. And for an 'on' state we put the junctions back in, but this time the conditions for lossless and reciprocal are met (which means all signals can influence each other), and that gives maximum diffusion but no additional colouration. Which was perfect.

One might say we could have left the knob in there for the 2-spring tank, but it would have made the UI and overall workflow more complex (we would have needed 2 parameters in the host for 1 thing basically), at a very little or subtle benefit.

Sorry for this lengthy explanation but I wanted to be precise on this. It had kept me busy for quite a while, and sometimes you think you've tricked physics but then understand that you have not because you just can't.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

Bought.

What is this thing? :lol:

2ZrgE wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:13 am Bought.

What is this thing? :lol:
It’s what will eventually save your soul. Recording. 😉
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

Thank you!!! this spring reverb it's fantastic!!
It melts very nice with the reverb of my Supro. Here an improvisation with Twangström on the drums and a touch on the guitar on the Supro Comet.

https://soundcloud.com/yavaro/springo

Spent some time with this last night and didn't find any noisey noises I loved. Going to try it with some mod wheel and envelope control, to see if I can get it to make the type of noises I would find useful.

That being said, anyone who works with synths needs to try this plugin and make a decision about whether it fits their style. It's arguable that spring reverb IS the sound of early modular synthesis and the actual modularity of that synthesis is a secondary sonic feature.

sascha wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:08 am Sorry for this lengthy explanation but I wanted to be precise on this. It had kept me busy for quite a while, and sometimes you think you've tricked physics but then understand that you have not because you just can't.
Thanks for the explanation.

I think I now partially understand why they used 0's and 1's

and haven't (yet) implemented 2's :?

remind me a lot the reverb on my first guitar amp ! :) really good plugin :)
XMAS before XMAS :)

I laughed out loud when finished registering Twangstrom,
just blame it on Native Instruments and ilok :hihi:

this place just gets weirder and weirder

hivkorn wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:25 pm remind me a lot the reverb on my first guitar amp ! :) really good plugin :)
XMAS before XMAS :)
My dad got me a Twin Reverb my 3rd year in hi skrool,
totally out of character, but much appreciated,
and it kept me off the streets. Pretty much.
And what a chic magnet that pilot light was!!! :party:

And you're right about the reverb itself. Like ColourCopy
isn't just a delay unit, Twangstrom is far more than just the
springy reverb parts. :hyper:
Cheers

sqigls wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:35 pm this place just gets weirder and weirder
In my best Mr T voice,

'Pity da fool dat buy Komplete on a hardisk,
an got slow internet'

I love the filter sound. Great looking too.

But U-HE you know what? I find that you're latest plugins are too much restricted to the sweet sounding area, edgy sounds are difficult to do. . I like the idea to give only controls were you can create useful or good sounding things, but 5% more dirty sound possibility would be great. A bit more resonance and drive or dirt options for example. It's the same for ColorCopy by the way.

Oh, fer cryin’ out loud, just take my money; I’ll figger out what to do with it later. Anything from u-he is on auto-buy for me.

Return to “u-he”