Twangström 1.0 RC (Release Candidate), sanity check

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

suthnear wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:48 pm I hate spring reverb.

And ... purchased. I think there's something wrong with me
:lol: :clap:

we are fanboys, what more to say?

wnick wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:07 pm the gamma setting doesn't work - brightness stays constant...
edit
the gamma changes after closing/opening the plugin.
I've checked my other u-he plugs and synths and some change immediately and some need to be reopend.
is this on Windows?
It is a known issue.
I am curious to know which ones change immediately?
Probably the older ones?
rsp
sound sculptist

Congrats on the release! Haven't used the new version but already loved the prior one.

Haven't noticed anything wrong with this version. A lot of fun on rhythmic material, and may shape even pad-ish sounds in interesting ways. To my ears and warped taste anyway. :wink:

[/quote]

is this on Windows?
It is a known issue.
I am curious to know which ones change immediately?
Probably the older ones?
rsp
[/quote]

oh, yes win10pro64 in Reaper 5.965 und rx7.
in ace and bazille the gamma changes immediately

yep as I suspected the ones that the preset browser hasn't changed yet...
I am sure they will fix it at some point, but it is indeed a known issue.
rsp
sound sculptist

i didn't manage to crash it, even when i did something really bizarre during updating where i got an updated interface but the plugin was still the old plugin running out of a cache. turning 'bright' on didn't work, but neither did it crash anything. so congratulations on what is apparently a very sturdy plugin.

bright sounds much lighter and cleaner, just because there's not so much stuff reflecting off the nyquist frequency back into audible range. (there's only a narrow band where it happens, and it's not super loud, but it's still smack in the middle of 5khz)

and it's nice that very high notes can still influence the spring, now--even if they don't reverberate like lower frequencies, their energy still trickles back into the greater body of the spring, which is much nicer than them suddenly hitting the cut-off frequency and instantly going quiet.

thank you for humouring us and allowing us to spend that little bit extra processor power. you and cytomic are my favourite devs. (not, it must be said, because you both allow us to spend tonnes of processor power. you're just very In Touch with your users and friendly and stuff(and i appreciate that can put you at a disadvantage when you run into a really nasty or entitled one))

Any chance for a non-spring mode like in the Retroverb?

A simple "Bypass" in the model menu would do it and we could use it to distort, filter and shape the sound without reverb...

In linux Reaper, using Twangstrom preset RCH Intimate Ambience,
watching meter in the Time Base display,
5 of the 8 waveforms are jumpy between the 2/1
and noisy, from an subtle EQ-like change, to a little clunk sound.
Turn the rate up to 3/4 and it's more evident.
Might even be a feature, in certain other parts of town :wink:

Of the 8 lfo waveforms, the first two, and the last one
seem OK, the sqr hi-lo is and saw-down are the loudest
and most noticeable.

Lots of nice presets :hyper: ...maybe someone will do
a Fender Twin-Reverb style skin, with a glowing pilot light :love:
Cheers

Congrats on the release!

As the green light is out, I'll wait to install the final release (or will this be the same).

Looking forward to using the Bright switch! :party:

I hate purchases.

I love to hate.

I sprang into buying Twangström.

I also think there's something wrong with me.

Might as well call this Reverb : "TwoWrongsStrung" ! :D :P

I have also always hated spring reverbs, or rather never found a single good use for them. The only possible exception being an occasional guitar skank when needed, but other than that, the first thing when opening a guitar plugin with a built-in spring reverb is to turn it all the way down.

And of course I bought Twangström (almost missed the intro price :D), because I’m a u-he fanboy and I firmly believe that any quality sound source or effect can be a source of inspiration and an useful tool if you just give it a chance and some time. Didn’t have much time to play with it yet, but old-skool synth sounds through Twangström seems to produce some wonderful vibes. :phones:

Luster wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:52 am Any chance for a non-spring mode like in the Retroverb?

A simple "Bypass" in the model menu would do it and we could use it to distort, filter and shape the sound without reverb...
Wouldn’t that kind of defeat the object of a physically modeled “spring” reverb ?

I personally dislike the idea of bypassing the tank just to turn the plugin into a filter/distortion box, as if the world would starve from a lack thereof.
Since we have pre & post routing options, these wouldn't make much sense then. But I would understand if someone said there should be a 'tank mix' control. Recalling the discussion we had with the regular 'mix' knob, this would be another layer of complexity, though. So we're not going to implement that simply because we can. Releasing a product always comes with a certain responsibility of maintaining the original concept while putting any potentially new feature under a thorough test.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

Return to “u-he”