Zebra² ways to FM, PM and PD

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So there are the FMOs and the OSC-FXs (DX, Scrambler, Trajector, PhaseDist). Am I missing something or are those the tools for FM, PM and PD?
rabbit in a hole

You're not missing anything. At least I don't think you are. :)

Thanks ED
rabbit in a hole

XMFs take an input for FilterFM...

Urs wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:31 pm XMFs take an input for FilterFM...
oh wow - I never stopped to consider filter fm this way, since intuitively it seems like a different sort of thing to modulate an oscillator directly

but if we take a *self-oscillating* filter and fm the cutoff...

I am curious, but am unfortunately no synth wizard!

Could somebody kindly break down how to apply this?

lickle_emu wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:03 pm Could somebody kindly break down how to apply this?
Try it out and listen to it! It's easier if you start with a sine wave so initialize a new patch and choose "Sine Tree" for OSC 1. Then go to OSC 1's OSC FX tab, choose "Phase Distortion". Hold a note down on your keyboard and move the knob around. Hear how it changes from nothing but a humble pure tone?

Now modulate it with an envelope, bring sustain down to 0, play with the decay time, the modulation amount. Change the OSC FX algorithm to "DX" and listen to how that works. Try it with the other algorithms.

I really hope Zebra3 will expand upon the current options for audio rate stuff and allow inter oscillator FM/PM. I just want to be able modulate even basic analog-type waveforms with one another.
Always Read the Manual!

yellowmix wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:53 pm
lickle_emu wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:03 pm Could somebody kindly break down how to apply this?
Try it out and listen to it! It's easier if you start with a sine wave so initialize a new patch and choose "Sine Tree" for OSC 1. Then go to OSC 1's OSC FX tab, choose "Phase Distortion". Hold a note down on your keyboard and move the knob around. Hear how it changes from nothing but a humble pure tone?

Now modulate it with an envelope, bring sustain down to 0, play with the decay time, the modulation amount. Change the OSC FX algorithm to "DX" and listen to how that works. Try it with the other algorithms.

Thank you :)

yellowmix wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:53 pm

The phase distortion osc effect is one of the few fx that should not be modulated but rather set to max and modulate the osc waveform (which is the phasor/ramp) instead ( to get genuine casio cz style stuff )
Here's a guide I made a couple of years ago
viewtopic.php?t=474247
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “u-he”