u-he on Apple silicon (Updated)

Official support for: u-he.com
KVRer
3 posts since 15 Jan, 2020

Post Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:52 pm

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Urs wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:09 pm
On a related note, while we can compile natively for Arm, we are currently relying on the compiler to do some crucial optimisations ("auto vectorisation"). Apparently, these are not as good as we would have hoped for.
You may have already dug deeply into the subject, so forgive me if this is redundant, but the compiler does have some helpful #pragma statements and diagnostics (http://llvm.org/docs/Vectorizers.html) to help clarify why code you might expect to vectorize is not. Hand-tuning is always an option, of course, but getting to the point where the compiler can do the work can have ancillary benefits - both now and down the road.

Urs
u-he

Topic Starter

25500 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:44 pm

Lady Gaia wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:52 pm
Urs wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:09 pm
On a related note, while we can compile natively for Arm, we are currently relying on the compiler to do some crucial optimisations ("auto vectorisation"). Apparently, these are not as good as we would have hoped for.
You may have already dug deeply into the subject, so forgive me if this is redundant, but the compiler does have some helpful #pragma statements and diagnostics to help clarify why code you might expect to vectorize is not. Hand-tuning is always an option, of course, but getting to the point where the compiler can do the work can have ancillary benefits - both now and down the road.
Well, I'm used to program with SSE/AltiVec-like intrinsics. Auto-Vectorization would require a different code structure which is broken up in for-loops.

KVRAF
5072 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Post Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:04 pm

Great to hear you are on the way. I just tried Repro on my M1 MacBook and while in general it runs great under Rosetta it suffers from something like some other plug-ins as well. When the GUI is open I get a large audio latency and even some midi note dropped when played very fast, close the GUI and all is fine.
This indeed is also the only thing i experienced with some other non arm plug-ins as well.
Edit: It works better within the non-Rosetta version from Logic. It seems to happen just if Logic starts under Rosetta.

KVRist
104 posts since 6 Apr, 2020

Post Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:10 am

Cinebient wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:04 pm
Great to hear you are on the way. I just tried Repro on my M1 MacBook and while in general it runs great under Rosetta it suffers from something like some other plug-ins as well. When the GUI is open I get a large audio latency and even some midi note dropped when played very fast, close the GUI and all is fine.
This indeed is also the only thing i experienced with some other non arm plug-ins as well.
Edit: It works better within the non-Rosetta version from Logic. It seems to happen just if Logic starts under Rosetta.
I have exactly the same problem with Repro but also Hive2.
I thought this is just due to my Radeon graphics card or display profile. But now that I read that someone with a M1 chip also has these UI lag problems when the u-he plugin UI is open, it is probably are more general issue.

Do you also see the whole DAW slowing down? So e.g. the faders getting choppy and sluggish? For me this really started with Big Sur.
I also have a Thunderbolt Display (LG Ultrafine), that might be a root cause.
But other plugins like Serum are smooth as butter... :neutral:

KVRAF
5072 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Post Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:41 am

tslays wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:10 am
Cinebient wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:04 pm
I have exactly the same problem with Repro but also Hive2.
I thought this is just due to my Radeon graphics card or display profile. But now that I read that someone with a M1 chip also has these UI lag problems when the u-he plugin UI is open, it is probably are more general issue.

Do you also see the whole DAW slowing down? So e.g. the faders getting choppy and sluggish? For me this really started with Big Sur.
I also have a Thunderbolt Display (LG Ultrafine), that might be a root cause.
But other plugins like Serum are smooth as butter... :neutral:
Indeed, i can confirm that the DAW also slows down and all get sluggish.
So maybe its also Big Sur?

KVRist

Post Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:41 am

Seems Big Sur again changed how things work.

Urs explained it on page 7 of this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=556489&start=90#top

KVRist
50 posts since 26 Jul, 2012

Post Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:15 am

Any news for us about the m1 binaries or beta access?

Urs
u-he

Topic Starter

Post Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:33 am

Anonym32339 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:15 am
Any news for us about the m1 binaries or beta access?
Not looking good for a December 2020 release.

We're waiting for all developers to be present to do the big merge, which may happen by mid January.

KVRist

Post Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:07 am

Will this release also tackle the Big Sur UI lag problems? Or will this take more time?

Urs
u-he

Topic Starter

Post Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:06 am

tslays wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:07 am
Will this release also tackle the Big Sur UI lag problems? Or will this take more time?
We think we have tackled them. The fastest way to draw on any system is prone to minor artefacts (small blank areas when the window is in the background), so we're probably going to settle with a compromise. It will however be absolutely snappy as far as I can see. We need beta testing though toi find the best options.

KVRist

Post Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:42 am

Cool, looking forward for the betas! :-)

KVRAF
3546 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:51 am

i'll hopefully get my M1 mac tomorrow /tuesday, how are things looking up ?

Urs
u-he

Topic Starter

Post Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:50 am

Ploki wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:51 am
i'll hopefully get my M1 mac tomorrow /tuesday, how are things looking up ?
Everything will run pretty well already with the official versions we have. AU automation is without visual feedback and some text fields in dark mode are rather invisible.

From tomorrow the dev who did the ports is back from vacation so we can start the big merge.

KVRAF
3546 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:34 am

splendid!
one unfortunate automation mishap is that it's not only "no visual feedback", it's also "won't write via GUI".
I use Nob control as my main tactile input which basically works like a mouse, and i can't write automation with it in u-he plugs anymore :)

KVRist
43 posts since 7 Dec, 2020

Post Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:53 am

Hmm, I hadn't heard of Nob Control - how do you like it?

Return to “u-he”