What about ACE 2?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

david.beholder wrote: ↑Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:40 pm Different filters =) ?
of course it's an obvious one, but i agree. just two multimode filter flavors would be heavily dope.

i know the concept behind ace might feel overrun or outdone by now. but it's nice and sounds good (still) and honestly it's cool to work with a well laid out synth that has the modules it has and that's it.

i wonder if maybe thinking it out again from the frac/blacet/and also wiard mindset might differentiate it enough and point toward a good fixed-modular-architecture whatever you call it. analog oscs, waveform cities, multimode filters, envelopes that live somewhere in the between ms-20s and buchla. i know eurorack has consumed all of that by now, but still, that's not what i'm getting at.

some type of "drive" module with a few modes like wavefolding could open up a lot of tonal flexibility if it's per voice and could be before or after the filter

Just bumping this thread to say ACE as is and the hopes of eventual updates are really helping me resist buying a behringer 2600 clone...

Just the few smaller suggestions that have come up in this thread (removing the pre-routing labels from knobs when a cable overrides them, a few CV utilities from Bazille, minor GUI updates) would breathe some great new life into this already great plugin.

I do think the mention of wiard by Traxxorx in particular does bring up something for me - holy shit we need a vactrol based filter module in one of the u-he modular products. The Wiard "borg" filter is a buchla LPG hybridized with the MS-20 filter design to make one of the most gorgeous filters I have ever owned (and kick myself for selling - I had the malekko version in eurorack) - whether that kinda design would be a good drop in for ACE/ACE XL/ACE2 I dunno... I feel like the vactrols would do better in a synth where trigger signals were also generally on wires, perhaps in something more music easel inspired than 2600 inspired (a more "west coast" u-he wired modular to compete with the easel V, aalto, pendulate/generate, etc with a focus on sequencing, controlled random sources, and a really nice complex osc section with cross mod and wavefolding would be a dream come true for me and really turn ACE and Bazille into part of an unstoppable trilogy of synthesizers)

"Let's turn ace into my Eurorack setup" ...Please don't.

expecto wrote: ↑Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:37 pm "Let's turn ace into my Eurorack setup" ...Please don't.
I'm not sure what you meant by this - if you're referencing my previous post I was musing about what a third synth in the wired modular u-he series would look like (if the goal is to be as different from ACE+Bazille as possible) and the answer is west coast osc+wavefolder+LPG paradigms in the audio path and a focus on gate/rhythm/controlled randomness sequencing on the modulation side as the things currently not covered in ACE or Bazille - I'd rather see ACE stick to the "east coast"/ARP inspired side of things with just a few more modulation options, maybe some different filter options, and maybe a drive/distortion module with a few modes.

EvilDragon wrote: ↑Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:52 am There's a reason why normalled connections exist. Easier to make it output sound, and less cable clutter too. It would not make the synth easier, it would make it more complicated for people that are NOT you. :P
Yep, I gotta agree with this. Ace is excellent because the low cable clutter means that you can see and interact with it easily.

MitchK1989 wrote: ↑Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:11 pm
expecto wrote: ↑Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:37 pm "Let's turn ace into my Eurorack setup" ...Please don't.
I'm not sure what you meant by this - if you're referencing my previous post I was musing about what a third synth in the wired modular u-he series would look like (if the goal is to be as different from ACE+Bazille as possible) and the answer is west coast osc+wavefolder+LPG paradigms in the audio path and a focus on gate/rhythm/controlled randomness sequencing on the modulation side as the things currently not covered in ACE or Bazille - I'd rather see ACE stick to the "east coast"/ARP inspired side of things with just a few more modulation options, maybe some different filter options, and maybe a drive/distortion module with a few modes.
i would be quite interested in that ...

Please don’t start on ACE 2 until after Zebra 3 is released. So, say, 2048? :lol:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

You can kinda get LFO1 to act like a wave folder by setting Multiply to 0 and modulating the phase input with the LFO 2 or any of the other oscillators/filters, really. You need to hit the phase input pretty hard, so it helps to boost the gain by creating a feedback loop with the Multiplexer. This gets even more interesting with Bazille's oscillators, when using the Tap the Map option. The oscillator becomes like a drawable wave shaper that you can place anywhere in the signal path.
Also, the filters in Bazille and Ace can be pinged like Serge filters. Send gates or low frequency pulses to the signal input to get a nice percussive ringing sound with decay set by the amount of resonance.

I know that no one asked for suggestions like those... I also occasionally wish that Ace/Bazille could do something that I have a specific module for, in hardware form. Still, there are lots of things that these synths can do, if you think about how the different components behave from a 'west coast' perspective.

experimental.crow wrote: ↑Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:20 am
MitchK1989 wrote: ↑Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:11 pm
i would be quite interested in that ...
Even if I wasn't as interested as I am in other things, I'd give you money for it Urs. Just throwing that out there. I'd really like if the main VCA wasn't hard linked to midi though. Just throwing that out there as well.

Sounds all right to me.

So what would the name be? It has to start with a C, right? Let’s see... Chariot? Cosmonaut? Coffeebreak?

Chungus?
I hate signatures too.

MitchK1989 wrote: ↑Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:11 pm ...what a third synth in the wired modular u-he series would look like....
aren't there already four (4) modular ?

zebra, bazille, beatzille and ACE

"wired modular". As in, cables on the GUI. There's only two (Beatzille doesn't really count).

EvilDragon wrote: ↑Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:38 pm "wired modular". As in, cables on the GUI. There's only two (Beatzille doesn't really count).
Yeah, but also not really what anyone else defines as modular but in reference to the vision that Urs described of different parts of the "Berlin Modular" concept.

As long whatever ACE/BAZILLE/C(hungus?) synths come next (jokes aside I love the idea of naming it cosmonaut and doing a polyvoks + buchla 200e had a baby screaming filthy monstrosity to round out the potential trilogy) still have duophonic mode I'll be happy - using duophonic in ACE/Bazille with ring mod/sync/cross mod/phase mod etc is my favorite thing lately.

Return to β€œu-he”