Free Zebra2/HZ skin: Wombat Flat (Skin Builder 1.1 final and pre-built skins released)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

No please don't make it colored like a box of crayons. The simple color scheme was the best. Too many colors makes it look toyish.

I haven't had a chance to test the skin yet but just going on the screenshots. I'll be able to give it a go tomorrow. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonic — I’m doing the color one in parallel with the simple one so folks can choose whichever they like best

Cool ! :tu: Thanks for your efforts. I know how much work even a simple skin edit is for Zebra. A full reskin is ten times harder.

I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow...... :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Yeah it's definitely too monotone. Each module should have its own color, this way you can more easily discern them.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:01 pm Yeah it's definitely too monotone. Each module should have its own color, this way you can more easily discern them.
Thanks. Just so I am clear, do you mean that each section (eg, generators, modulators, effects) should have its own color, or that literally each module should have a separate color? The first is in process and should be done soon. The latter would be harder and seems like it would be a mess of different colors all over the place...

I meant the latter. With a careful color selection (i.e. similar color tones between, say VCF and XMF and Comb, since they're all filters, and then similar color tones for OSC and FMO, etc. you catch my drift) it would work very well.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:01 pm Yeah it's definitely too monotone. Each module should have its own color, this way you can more easily discern them.
Nah the original was fine. Only newbies need things color coded. :hihi:

The Zebra2 default skin is rather subdued in it's color range and no one has complained that they can't discern the different modules.

But it's great that he's working on a multi-color version for newbies and the original for more experienced users. :tu:

It's not really about newbism. I'm plenty experienced with Zebra and I still find things faster if they aren't as monotone as that original skin OP showed.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:35 pm I meant the latter. With a careful color selection (i.e. similar color tones between, say VCF and XMF and Comb, since they're all filters, and then similar color tones for OSC and FMO, etc. you catch my drift) it would work very well.
Perfect, that’s what I’ve got in progress.

One thing is that I did not end up doing is change the background colors (ie, the various gray shades) between the sections like I did in my mockup. In that mockup, the yellow sections were ~700 degrees warmer and the green sections were ~700 degrees cooler than neutral. I started to implement it, but then found that having grays with different color temperatures on the same screen looked really weird to my eye, probably because our brains are hardwired to try to adjust any temperature to neutral but it couldn’t because of the different neutrals.

So I’ve ended up just adjusting the knobs and displays of the modulators/effects to yellow/green, which works better to me.

Quick theoretical question - do folks consider the Zebra arp as more of a generator or more of a modulator?

Arp is a modulator through and through. A "generator" in Zebra speak is related to audio processing.

Thanks, I agree.

Alright folks, time for an early test version of the "colorized" version of the skin. This version is for ZHZ only, as porting the changes to Z2 will take time and I want this to be largely final before I do.

EDIT (updated to v0.51): https://www.dropbox.com/s/tuslfbpzq13w1 ... 9.zip?dl=0

The color layout is currently as follows (also see attached screenshot):

- generators and global items are blue
- modulators are yellow
- effects are green

Note that this version also generally reduces the saturation as compared with the "mono" version I posted earlier, so it should be a bit easier on the eyes. Also note that this version is not heavily tested/polished, as that process takes a lot of effort and I want to get a feel as to whether people generally think this approach is worth developing further before I invest that time.

As always, comments are appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nice! Good job overal :)

Ok first thing i noticed:

-Scanning doesnt have the scanning bar
- zebra version font is too dark to see (bellow zebrahz name)
- and the old one, bottom pane font size :)

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

It's coming along nicely.
Didn't think it would even appeal to me but it has.
rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “u-he”