Diva with Rosetta2 on Apple M1

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just bought an M1 Macbook Air (8GB) and wanted to do this test myself. This computer is replacing my Dell XPS 15 (i5, 8GB).

All tests were done in Reaper (v 6.21) at 48kHz and 512 buffer size. I used the Deep Space preset and played 6 note chords.

Here are the results:

Macbook Air: 8 instances of Diva
Dell XPS: 14 instances of Diva

Frankly, I'm really surprised by the XPS and disappointed with the Mac. Does anyone have any idea why this would be? It seems like the Mac should be able to destroy my Dell.

Do you have multicore off? It's currently performing better with multicore disabled in the plug-in.

i dont know if reaper is handling this differently but at 512 buffer size i got 19 tracks in Logic on the M1 Pro. I got 14 tracks at buffer 32.
multicore in diva set to off, logic set to handle multicore for both playback and live tracks.

Realized I had Diva 1.4.3. Updated to 1.4.4 and was able to get 20 instances of Diva on the M1 which is much more in line with my expectations.

Hello,
I recently bought the UHE Diva for Logic Pro on my Apple m1 MacBook Pro and when I switch through presets it randomly crashes. Also when I’m playing one preset it crashes. It crashes every minute and since it crashes all of logic and I have to reopen it makes it so I am unable to use the Diva. this is frustrating since it has a big price tag. Please tell me what I should do to fix the issue, thank you.

Atylerrrrr wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:18 am Hello,
I recently bought the UHE Diva for Logic Pro on my Apple m1 MacBook Pro and when I switch through presets it randomly crashes. Also when I’m playing one preset it crashes. It crashes every minute and since it crashes all of logic and I have to reopen it makes it so I am unable to use the Diva. this is frustrating since it has a big price tag. Please tell me what I should do to fix the issue, thank you.
Is Diva’s multicore option turned on? I’ve run into several situations where some apps and plugins running under Rosetta don’t seem to handle multithreading properly on their own. Logic will do this on its own anyway, on a track by track basis.
Last edited by Tronam on Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

have you switched logic to run in rosetta in the finder getinfo window ?

i've read that this should help (a lot) in re rosetta plugins
(and afaik diva is still rosetta/intel)...

I've never had Diva crash on my M1, but I'm not using Logic. You could try whichever of AU/VST you haven't tried (if you haven't tried both).

Atylerrrrr wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:18 am I recently bought the UHE Diva for Logic Pro on my Apple m1 MacBook Pro and when I switch through presets it randomly crashes.
Please note that our plugins are not officially compatible with Big Sur and M1 yet, updates will be issued in the coming weeks/months.
But you can contact our support, so we can try to help you figure out the reason for the crash.
https://u-he.com/support/#contact

running logic in non-rosetta (native) mode is fishy.
Some plugins work well, some have memory leaks and start using tons of CPU over the course of a few hours.
if you're not using 100% native plugins, i recommend running logic in rosetta instead. i found it more reliable for mixed sessions.

On the 2020 M1 MBP, 20 instances with 120 voices ran glitch-free.
I have an i9-10920x: 12 cores 24 Threads.

On the i9-10920x, 16 instances with 96 voices glitch-free. Multicore enabled. BS Deep Space 6 chord notes. wtf intel. Or am I doing something wrong?

Regardless, it looks like music production doesn't get any more portable than the M1 but I not sure I want to switch out of windows. I nearly bought a $3000 Clevo intel notebook before this thread but now I may just get the m1.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

it runs windows better than Microsoft's own ARM machines anyway - someone hacked an installation on it

cerealbox760 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:19 am
On the 2020 M1 MBP, 20 instances with 120 voices ran glitch-free.
I have an i9-10920x: 12 cores 24 Threads.

On the i9-10920x, 16 instances with 96 voices glitch-free. Multicore enabled. BS Deep Space 6 chord notes. wtf intel. Or am I doing something wrong?

Regardless, it looks like music production doesn't get any more portable than the M1 but I not sure I want to switch out of windows. I nearly bought a $3000 Clevo intel notebook before this thread but now I may just get the m1.
There must be going something wrong, check my replay about this some time ago. Im getting same results as you with your CPU, just my 4790k by the benchmarks is 3 times slower (its 2014 CPU)

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/In ... 2275vs3632
accessdune3 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:19 pm
krraqk wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:50 am
xx JPRacer xx wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:52 pm I have an old i5-3450 CPU from 2011 and on Windows 10 in Bitwig with a cheap external Sound Blaster gaming sound card I can do 11 instances of Diva with the mentioned test @ 48 Khz, 480 samples.

I'm sure a modern desktop i7, i9 or Ryzen 5 or 7 would do A LOT better. When I read about an i7 doing 4-5 instances I had a WTF moment just to realize that was on a laptop. I just can get my head around people making music on laptops.
Had the oportunity to try this "Diva test" in Reaper with a i7 7820 8 cores at 4ghz (all the cores were active in the win10 performance meter) and with 10 Diva instances some crackling start to sound when changing the 6 notes chord, if I let the chord sound forever (not changing any note) I can reach 13 instances, but i thing its not how the test was done?.
So 10/13 instances in a 8 core 7820x @ 4ghz vs 32 instances in the M1, still surprissing this M1 Diva performance.
Must've been something wrong on your end. Unoptimised pc maybe?

I get 16 instances each playing 6 voices (great quality) of preset suggested in the first page without crackling on core i7 4790k, 48khz, 512 samples buffer size while running services in the background like steam, plex server ect.

Couldn't resist trying this..

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12c/24t), Ubuntu Studio 18.04, Diva 1.4.4 (BS Deep Space, multicore on), Carla host.
44100Hz, buffer 128 samples, 2.9ms latency (edit: for what it's worth, 48000Hz, buffer 512, 10.7ms latency didn't make a noticeable difference)

71 instances, 6 note chord, but that's the limit! Hitting XRUNs quite easily (70 would be ok, but no headroom to do much else). Taking it back to 64 instances would be comfortable.
Screenshot from 2021-03-13 21-06-57 Crazy Diva BS Deep Space 71 instances 2.9ms 128spl 44100Hz.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lem18 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:14 am Couldn't resist trying this..

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12c/24t), Ubuntu Studio 18.04, Diva 1.4.4 (BS Deep Space, multicore on), Carla host.
44100Hz, buffer 128 samples, 2.9ms latency (edit: for what it's worth, 48000Hz, buffer 512, 10.7ms latency didn't make a noticeable difference)

71 instances, 6 note chord, but that's the limit! Hitting XRUNs quite easily (70 would be ok, but no headroom to do much else). Taking it back to 64 instances would be comfortable.
I tested my Ryzen 3700X with Diva when I got it a couple of years ago. I got 32 instances with 128 samples of buffer at 48Khz.

I was playing a single note of the the HS Amped Forces preset, not the BS Deep Space. I also had multicore disabled as it gave me better results.

Return to “u-he”