Hive 2.1 public beta 01 revision 10837

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Great update, thanks.

What does Ratio do to the Sideband filter? I hear a slight pitch wobble whilst moving it, but the timbre sounds the same at all static positions.

Kr3eM wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:45 pm HIVE_WT_01.png HIVE_WT_02.png
Much cleaner IMO!

holy shit
YES, FORCED, LARGE and 60FPS makes it a friggin rocket. i've never seen any U-he UI behave so damn well

however Izmo doesn't behave well with these settings

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:24 pm I kindof wish Objects had been made after this release - to take advantage of the comb filter would take it to another level imho (maybe an update would be on the cards?)
We sure hope to approach Nicolas for a second :)

Ploki wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:35 pm holy shit
YES, FORCED, LARGE and 60FPS makes it a friggin rocket. i've never seen any U-he UI behave so damn well
There you go! 8)
however Izmo doesn't behave well with these settings
There is a nearly endless amount of factors involved. Zebra behaves differently, too. Hence we'll be investing a lot of time finding the right options for the right kind of UI.

hakey wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:25 pm Great update, thanks.

What does Ratio do to the Sideband filter? I hear a slight pitch wobble whilst moving it, but the timbre sounds the same at all static positions.
When you mix it 50:50 with the original, you can manually sweep the phase shift. I.e. in-sync barber pole phasing...

(the effect is done ring modulating the signal with two quadrature sine oscillators. There's no frequency shifting effect if both oscillators are tuned exactly the same, but with ratio one can still sweep the phase... it's subtle for sure, but I deemed it worth keeping)

Great update! Loving the new filters and the stereo spread modulation.

Thanks for this U-He!

How do you stop the shape sequencers?

OTOH not loving the new UI to be honest, but I'll comment on the other thread.

Urs wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:12 pm
hakey wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:25 pm What does Ratio do to the Sideband filter? I hear a slight pitch wobble whilst moving it, but the timbre sounds the same at all static positions.
When you mix it 50:50 with the original, you can manually sweep the phase shift. I.e. in-sync barber pole phasing...
Ah, thanks. That makes sense.

BUG: Undo/redo history broken with adjustments to the orange mod indicators in the UI.

Recreate:
Open mod matrix.
Set Source to Mod 1.
Set modulated Parameter to Filter 1 Cutoff (just drag it)
Adjust the modulation amount in Mod Matrix using the regular knob from before (next to the modulated parameter).
Now, adjust the modulation amount using the orange line in the new UI.
Now, press the undo button.
Nothing happens.
Press the redo button.
Nothing happens.

Hope that helps, I can send you a video if that doesn't make sense, but it's pretty straightforward.

Also, this new version makes my framerate drop and my graphics all laggy on OSX 10.15.7, 2019 MBP 16". I don't think it was like that before.

claudedefaren wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:48 pm
Also, this new version makes my framerate drop and my graphics all laggy on OSX 10.15.7, 2019 MBP 16". I don't think it was like that before.
You might want to have a look at our other thread re UI performance 8)

(The undo glitch is a known issue. Can not yet say if/when we get to deal with it)

Hopefully you don't really mean /if/ you get to deal with it?

Undo/redo behaving inconsistently is one of the main reasons why I stopped using the KV331 synths. Hive is supposed to be a league above.

Also, something I prefer in the old UI was that I could immediately change filter cutoff value (for example) after adjusting its modulation value in the mod matrix. Now, I have to make sure the orange light is inactive by clicking a random place in the main UI if I want to change filter cutoff, otherwise clicking the filter cutoff knob changes the modulation amount instead, which is annoying. A way to make it so you can distinguish between clicks on the orange curve-line vs clicks on the cutoff knob itself would be preferred, which I think is how it was before.

Anyway, I'm rolling back to the previous version. The wacky new filters are cool but unnecessary for me, and my main feature requests (and I think the requests of many) didn't happen in 2.1. No big, 2.0 is rock solid, and like the users above, I prefer the wavetable-position-line at the bottom of the oscillator versus the huge circle it was changed to.

I love how this update contains the kind of features I never knew I'd wish for, but still really like:
- Abiility to halt shape sequencer.
- Ability to pan delay and reverb via mod matrix.

However I'm not quite sure I get this last feature the right way.
When I pan delay with modwheel, and set modmatrix to max value, modwheel pans the delay all to the right. Great!
And modmatrix at minimum value sends delay all to the left.
And then, when modwheel is all down, panning is set to center in both cases.
Am I stupid for not figuring out how modwheel all down can send delay to the left, and then modwheel all up send to the right?
To me this seems like a rather logical option when it comes to panning.
Not just center to side, but also side to side.

Also:
I really hope the no answer so far (that I can find) when it comes to the request for more mod slots (a Matrix C) is a sign of "you know, that really would benefit Hive2. Let's discuss it and see what we can do." :pray:

krans wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:44 pm Am I stupid for not figuring out how modwheel all down can send delay to the left, and then modwheel all up send to the right?
Think of it like this: -100 is all the way to the left, 0 is center and +100 is all the way to the right.

So, if you want to pan the delay all the way from the left to the right, you have to set it to -100 first, since the modwheel is a unipolar modulation source and then add 200 to it to get it all the way to the right.

You could do it like this:

The constant sets it to -100 (left) and the 2 x modwheel modulation add 200 (right).

Also, +1 on more mod matrix slots. I'm running out on basically every single patch :D

The Nerdy Music Guy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:11 pm The constant sets it to -100 (left) and the 2 x modwheel modulation add 200 (right).

Also, +1 on more mod matrix slots. I'm running out on basically every single patch :D
I see. Thank you for that one!
Would not have figured it out by myself.

However, if there was some kind of small knob for delay/reverb pan (not just available in modmatrix), one wouldn't have to spend 3 mod slots for it.
Anyway, more mod slots would be really handy with slot hungry tricks like these. :ud:

krans wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:29 pmAnyway, more mod slots would be really handy with slot hungry tricks like these. :ud:
Indeed! Stuff like this can eat up slots really quickly!

Return to “u-he”