A Guitar Symthesis question, please Help Howard if you don't mind

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Howard and the Uhe Team

I want to learn about Guitar Synthesis using Uhe Synths and I need your guidence please!

The Guitar sounds I have in mind is
1. Classic Nylon Guitar
2. A Clean Vintage Stratocaster with tremolo
3. The Picked Bass sound like the one one Peter Hook used in New order Blue Monday
4. A Spanish accoustic luke the one I hear in the demo of Bigtone Commercial Presets here on Uhe site (it is the first sound one under the semireal demo)

How do I make these sounds in Zebra and any other Uhe Synths?

Regards
Surreal

Some pointers:
1) For nylon guitar plucks In Zebra, experiment with the Comb filter: No oscillators, just turn up PreFill and Feedback, then play around with the Damping.
2) In Hive, use an appropriate wavetable e.g. Simple Karplus.uhm and activate "One Shot". BTW The next version of Hive will also have a comb filter.

Howard wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:58 pm Some pointers:
1) For nylon guitar plucks In Zebra, experiment with the Comb filter: No oscillators, just turn up PreFill and Feedback, then play around with the Damping.
2) In Hive, use an appropriate wavetable e.g. Simple Karplus.uhm and activate "One Shot". BTW The next version of Hive will also have a comb filter.
Thank you Howard, so if I understand correctly using the comb filter in Zebra as well as Hive (I see it is in public beta here) is the basis for Physical modelling right?
The prefill in the zebra comb filter will that basically fullfill the "pluck" part and the comb filter the "string"? Is it correct then to put a reverb to help form the "acoustic space response" ie the " instruments body"
Is it a good idea to "reinforce" the sound using subtractive synthesis or can I put up two lanes in zebras matrix and do both lanes with your technique you mentioned?

Sorry if I am uninformed but I really want to learn the correct way to apply what you are saying.
I did read up about Physical Modelling and I do understand that you must have a catalyst eg "pick" which can be a short burst of noise or sound and then a resonator "instrument string or drum membrane" and then a hollow space for the resonator sound to be "amplified" or completed to create the accoustic space ie "guitar body" or "drum barrel" or in Dj terms "speaker box" I hope I am correct in my understanding and analogy?

The guitar body is a resonator with multiple superimposed modes of oscillation. Its effect is like that of a fixed EQ that enhances some frequencies and dampens others. Rather than using reverb (which can work but is hit and miss) a straightforward way to emulate one is with an EQ or parallel resonant filters/filter bank. The trick is choosing which frequencies to enhance or attenuate and to what degree.

An image search for 'guitar body frequency response' might be a good place to start.

(Eg, see figs 7,8, 9 and 10 here)

Thank you for your input Hakey I definitely will try this in conjuction to what Howard has directed,.
Kind regards
Surreal

Here's a guitar patch for Zebra. Lane 1 is the plucked string timbre. The VCFs in lanes 2, 3, and 4 add some body resonances.
Modal Guitar.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thank you Rafa for directing me to this info!

hakey wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:01 pm Here's a guitar patch for Zebra. Lane 1 is the plucked string timbre. The VCFs in lanes 2, 3, and 4 add some body resonances.

Modal Guitar.zip
Thank you Hakey for your help, guidence and Sharing this patch with me. I really appreciate it!

Kind Regards

Return to “u-he”