Hive 2 Shape Sequencer

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:39 pm I do think a series of super short tutorial videos showing specific use cases would open people up to using it more. Using Hive's Shape Sequencer as an MSEG. Using it as a Sequencer. Using it as a trance gate. Using it as an LFO. Using it as a West Coast style sequencer...Then again, people will really start wanting more mod slots once they get a handle on it!
+ many

and the same about the function generators - how and when they can be used, how (and when) to use them together with the shape sequencers, with the LFOs etc.

That would be indeed very usefull!
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Edit: Ignore this silly workaround! Apparently it is possible to do this without workarounds now in the beta! Very nice!
I'm still going to leave this up. Maybe it gives people some ideas on how to use the Shape Seqs in creative ways.

Currently it's not possible to use the XY pads to scale mod matrix modulation amounts. I talked about either using LFO phase trickery or using envelopes as a middle man variable in another thread.

Now, this is obviously kind of an "advanced" use case, but you can now use the shape sequencer to to the same thing, even with non-linear scaling!
Just set the Shape Seq rate to "halt", modulate the position with an XY pad and set the desired mod matrix slot to scale with the Shape Seq.
You maybe also want to use a constant to compensate for the bipolar XY pad, but matrix slots are rare...

A simple example patch.
Y1 scales the modulation.

You could obviously add more Shape Seq steps to "draw" all kinds of functions. Fun stuff!

Just an idea on how the Shape Seq can be used for many unconventional things :)
Last edited by The Nerdy Music Guy on Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

recursive one wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:56 pm Function generators seems something a bit more obscure. It's great that in Hive you can visualize the modulator's output in the hexagon and this helps to understand what is going on, but I still can't say I actually understand for what (not how, but for what) the function generators are intended to be used. I've made few presets using function generators, but when I was making them I thought "it will be the preset that uses a function generator because the synth has one and it must be used somewhere" rather than "I want this preset to sound like this or that and therefore I will use a function generator"

I gather the function generators are based on some concepts known for modular synth users, but I guess more people who use Hive come from other wavetable/subtractive synths than from modulars.
Couldn't have said it better, basically exactly what I think :tu:

This is the only part which is a bit obscure for me in Hive (this and maybe some of the mod matrix modifiers). I do understand what FG's do and how to do it, but can't seem to figure why? What for? What cool trick should I do with it?

I mean, I use them as basic envelopes or additional LFO's, but never use the rise/still/fall/move part. Again, I know what it does, but I don't know what to do with it. I understand that sky is the limit, and I just have to experiment with it, but some inspiration would be welcome. I'm not an expert with modular world so I am not really used to that kind of stuff. Do a lot of people actually use these functions? For something else than very specific stuff? Who are they? What are they trying to achieve? :wink:
Soundcloud - Synthwave & More https://soundcloud.com/canapelee

EdSfer wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:35 pmI mean, I use them as basic envelopes or additional LFO's, but never use the rise/still/fall/move part. Again, I know what it does, but I don't know what to do with it. I understand that sky is the limit, and I just have to experiment with it, but some inspiration would be welcome. I'm not an expert with modular world so I am not really used to that kind of stuff. Do a lot of people actually use these functions? For something else than very specific stuff? Who are they? What are they trying to achieve? :wink:
Dunno. Maybe for people who want to trigger something on NoteOff. Or people who want to "bow" a sound using the ModWheel.

Stuff like "I want to duck the reverb while wiggling the pitch wheel". Or examples like "I want glide only upwards but never on downward intervals".

Strange stuff. Not sure if many people used it yet, or if they'd even know if they use a preset with that kind of stuff.

EdSfer wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:35 pm This is the only part which is a bit obscure for me in Hive (this and maybe some of the mod matrix modifiers). I do understand what FG's do and how to do it, but can't seem to figure why? What for? What cool trick should I do with it?
Totally agree on this. What are the killer use-cases for FG's? I understand what they do, I just often go out of my way to think of something cool to do with the Rise/Fall/Still/Move. I've used Still to trigger the Envelope of FG2 so that when you stop playing, the reverb swells or something, but that's about all I've got!

Urs wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:02 pm Dunno. Maybe for people who want to trigger something on NoteOff.
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:04 pm I've used Still to trigger the Envelope of FG2 so that when you stop playing, the reverb swells or something
That's pretty much the only natural use case I could think about.
Urs wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:02 pm Stuff like "I want to duck the reverb while wiggling the pitch wheel". Or examples like "I want glide only upwards but never on downward intervals".

Strange stuff.
:lol: Who/Where are these people!?

The bowing thing is interesting though. But yeah it confirms they're for very specific use cases.
Soundcloud - Synthwave & More https://soundcloud.com/canapelee

recursive one wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:59 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:39 pm I do think a series of super short tutorial videos showing specific use cases would open people up to using it more. Using Hive's Shape Sequencer as an MSEG. Using it as a Sequencer. Using it as a trance gate. Using it as an LFO. Using it as a West Coast style sequencer...Then again, people will really start wanting more mod slots once they get a handle on it!
+ many

and the same about the function generators - how and when they can be used, how (and when) to use them together with the shape sequencers, with the LFOs etc.

That would be indeed very usefull!
+1

The Nerdy Music Guy wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:16 pm Currently it's not possible to use the XY pads to scale mod matrix modulation amounts.[...]
You can do that with the v2.1 beta: Move a mod amount knob in the mod matrix, and you'll find that knob now as a possible target in the right-click menu for the XY target slots under "assign recent ->".

Cheers!
Viktor

The unshushable Coktor wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:30 pm
The Nerdy Music Guy wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:16 pm Currently it's not possible to use the XY pads to scale mod matrix modulation amounts.[...]
You can do that with the v2.1 beta: Move a mod amount knob in the mod matrix, and you'll find that knob now as a possible target in the right-click menu for the XY target slots under "assign recent ->".

Cheers!
Viktor
Pretty neat! One small thing: it shows duplicates. So I'm seeing MM5: Depth #1 repeated five times in the Recent list. One is plenty.

I'd also add: isn't it more user friendly and consistent if Mod Matrix appears as a category in the right click dropdown with the other targets? Or is there a reason you didn't go that route?

The unshushable Coktor wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:30 pm

Cheers!
Viktor
You just blew my mind! Thanks, I did not know that!

This is a very, very nice feature!
Time to go through my patches again to see if I can free up some matrix slots this way :hihi:

EdSfer wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:44 pm
Urs wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:02 pm Stuff like "I want to duck the reverb while wiggling the pitch wheel". Or examples like "I want glide only upwards but never on downward intervals".

Strange stuff.
:lol: Who/Where are these people!?

The bowing thing is interesting though. But yeah it confirms they're for very specific use cases.
Well, obviously, you can use them as non-tempo-synched envelopes and LFOs as well. That's probably their main use.

And also for things that synths normally don't do. Just in case you need them. In a few weeks/months/years when a critical mass of people have figured out what that could be, people will go "how could we have lived without these things"? Much like modular people before/after embracing Make Noise Maths or the Serge thing.

The Nerdy Music Guy wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:03 pm Time to go through my patches again to see if I can free up some matrix slots this way :hihi:
Yeah... I was pondering exactly that! I spend too much time juggling mod slots.

Urs wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:01 pm And also for things that synths normally don't do. Just in case you need them. In a few weeks/months/years when a critical mass of people have figured out what that could be, people will go "how could we have lived without these things"? Much like modular people before/after embracing Make Noise Maths or the Serge thing.
If I thought enough people would participate I'd say "run a contest! Best use of Hive's FG's in a patch - describe what the FG's are doing, post a clip, and share the patch - winner gets a U-he product of their choice! Post as many as you want!" Try to dial up some of the critical mass (let's pretend that makes sense)!

Some people really don't handle criticism well. :ud:

Urs wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:02 pm
EdSfer wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:35 pmI mean, I use them as basic envelopes or additional LFO's, but never use the rise/still/fall/move part. Again, I know what it does, but I don't know what to do with it. I understand that sky is the limit, and I just have to experiment with it, but some inspiration would be welcome. I'm not an expert with modular world so I am not really used to that kind of stuff. Do a lot of people actually use these functions? For something else than very specific stuff? Who are they? What are they trying to achieve? :wink:
Dunno. Maybe for people who want to trigger something on NoteOff. Or people who want to "bow" a sound using the ModWheel.

Stuff like "I want to duck the reverb while wiggling the pitch wheel". Or examples like "I want glide only upwards but never on downward intervals".

Strange stuff. Not sure if many people used it yet, or if they'd even know if they use a preset with that kind of stuff.
Hi Urs, I think that FG is an amazing feature, but I got curious by reading that you weren't entirely sure yourself according to your answer what was it exactly meant for.

While I think I know the answer (it's there for people to explore and decide themselves what it's for), I think we have an opportunity to have a rare glimpse into your thought process.

So let me ask this :) if you weren't sure yourself why is it for, why did you go into the trouble and work required in order to add this feature ?

Thanks !
Last edited by nirm123 on Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “u-he”