aurex CTRL - dedicated control for U-He synths!

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sarrova-Q wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:01 pm 15 euro excl shipping costs :)
Hi Sarrova-Q - I have the print out now and the whole thing is really, really good!!

Just one question - is there any way to record midi automation? Live 11 registers the midi data when I move the knobs with the mouse, but nothing when using the controller.

Live does record movements, you just need to look in a different place to find the recorded information.
Because you're recording MIDI data, you should check in Envelopes - MIDI Ctrl instead of Envelopes - Diva ;)

got it, thanks!

Sarrova-Q wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:16 pm Live does record movements, you just need to look in a different place to find the recorded information.
Still very much digging it. It's a lot of fun and intuitive. Especially the way to assign modulation is just magical. Are you planning to do other synths in the future?

A few suggestions/questions/features that I would really appreciate.

1.) Would be really cool to also be able cycle the shape of the dual VCO. There is even an unassigned knob for that oscillator, so it appears there is still room, at least on the controller.
2.) It would also be reaaaally cool to be able to control the detune amount, not just the drift. Even more so if you could also control the number of voices, not just the stack.
3.) Wouldn't it be better to include the rotary fx on one of the lanes instead of having all of the fx available twice?
4.) Is there any way to also control the six modulation switches on the digital oscillator?

Not sure if you have run out of available midi cc and can't add any more functions. But if not, then maybe some of them (like the six modulation switches) could be controlled using the special "model+shift" mode?

edit: forgot one thing. the preset change mechanism don’t seem to work for me. not in diva, not in repro.

Hi.

So sorry, I forgot to answer these excellent questions.
Here you go:
Are you planning to do other synths in the future?
Yes, but much depends on how much a company planned to make their plugins MIDI controlable. For UHe synths, almost every parameter can be midi mapped, but I found out this is not the case with many other company's. Maybe some would want to work with me to make it happen, so let's see what the future brings :)
Would be really cool to also be able cycle the shape of the dual VCO. There is even an unassigned knob for that oscillator, so it appears there is still room, at least on the controller.
Should be doable, I'll add this to 1.3
Keep in mind this will need to be on Midi Channel 2 as I've used up all CC's on Channel 1.
However, I don't think that's a huge problem as you already need Channel 2 to control the FX.

It would also be reaaaally cool to be able to control the detune amount, not just the drift. Even more so if you could also control the number of voices, not just the stack.
I'll think about where I could add these on the surface. I really want to keep the layout of the overlay logical and user friendly.
Wouldn't it be better to include the rotary fx on one of the lanes instead of having all of the fx available twice?
Could be possible. One of the effects in one FX slot would need to go then. I made this choice because I really prefer the other effects above the rotary effect and wouldn't want to loose any of those in one of the slots. I'll give it some thought.
Is there any way to also control the six modulation switches on the digital oscillator?
Yes, - for now - you can turn them all on at the same time by pressing the DIGI model in the MODEL menu. Hold the button and you'll see that the "1/2 8F VEL" button will be much brighter. Press it to reset the modulation switches to the ON position. (btw: the TO button will now reset the oscillator knobs)
Not sure if you have run out of available midi cc and can't add any more functions. But if not, then maybe some of them (like the six modulation switches) could be controlled using the special "model+shift" mode?
Yes, I need to think about these a bit more to be able to control the switches independently. Right now you can activate these switches all at the same time (see above) and individual control of the depth is possible by keeping the modulation depth neutral with their respective knobs.
edit: forgot one thing. the preset change mechanism don’t seem to work for me. not in diva, not in repro.
You need to have some patches loaded into the MIDI Programs directory for this
to work. More info about how program changes work on U-He synths can be
found here: viewtopic.php?t=436863
Also, make sure you're using aurex CTRL 1.2 (1.1 had a bug with program changes).

Awesome, thank you for the detailed response. I always have the second channel activated due to the FX, so agreed, not an issue. It's definitely really well thought out and mapping all these knobs in a user friendly way can not be an easy task. Any additional mappings you release are pretty much an instant buy on my end, so keeping my fingers crossed. :)

Return to “u-he”