Hive 2.X Feature Requests

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Good example there with filter cutoff. In Surge, it's also in semitones, internally stored as offset from middle A, MIDI note 69. But we do display it in Hz (and show the nearest 12-TET note value alongside.

(We also support octave offsets to resolve the eternal C3/C4/C5 is middle C debate. :D)

And yep, I'm fully aware that the mode-scaled parameters (LFO timebase, etc) are a problem in the u-he framework for this sort of feature. That's definitely a tricky matter to resolve.

Thanks for detailed writeup on the rest, though! I really appreciate it. :) I'd say that just having real-world units display would be a great start. Text input is an eventual bonus but not a must, as far as I'm concerned (although it certainly benefits the user).

(BTW, when you say "it might take a while", which timescale are we talking about? Less or more than one idle() loop cycle?)

I think you should also show the actual linear numerical value like we do.

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:35 am"it might take a while"
Development time. Designing a concept that works. Removing competing attempts from previous developers. Not breaking anything. Adding the new concept to hundreds if not thousands of parameter descriptions in the DSP part, including sometimes having to measure the actual values.

Years, really.

Ah, dev time, not execution time in the codebase (doh, haha!). Noted. :D
Urs wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:42 am I think you should also show the actual linear numerical value like we do.
Ha, we'll see. Maybe just the MIDI note number, yeah. But then, some parameters have wider range than the MIDI note number range, including going down to 0.5 Hz in a comb filter based effect (which is roughly C negative 6 octave, if C3 is middle C :clown: )! I feel this might confuse the user rather than actually help.

Exceeding the realm of MIDI Note Numbers has never been an issue for me. Some of our filter cutoffs go to 150 or so.

Yeah true, I don't have a problem with >127, but with <0 :clown: Weird, I know.

Just do it!

- Hidden OSC detune curve parameter
- Hidden OSC spread curve parameter

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:28 pm - Hidden OSC detune curve parameter
- Hidden OSC spread curve parameter
That would go into a potential "user engine" hex tab - should we ever manage to get to implement a user definable engine.

Urs wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:48 pm That would go into a potential "user engine" hex tab - should we ever manage to get to implement a user definable engine.
LOL you mean that this is not possible with the current engine? But I assume you get what I mean? I mean non-linear unison voice spreading...

Have a look at this fantastic animation (copy paste the url to new tab):
https://i.imgur.com/rYbpoGi.mp4

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:50 pm
Urs wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:48 pm That would go into a potential "user engine" hex tab - should we ever manage to get to implement a user definable engine.
LOL you mean that this is not possible with the current engine? But I assume you get what I mean? I mean non-linear unison voice spreading...

Have a look at this fantastic animation (copy paste the url to new tab):
https://i.imgur.com/rYbpoGi.mp4
That's like the "hidden horizontal linear element" that Serum adds to its splines to make them "more cornery"

hive has this little gfx window for the filters

click-dragging on the filter's titlebar lets me scroll through all possible filter models

wouldn't it be nice if dragging inside the filter grafics
would let you set cutoff (x-axis) and resonance (y-axis)

(like in pigments...sorry couldn't resist)

After a few months with Hive I would like:
- Dot and triple values for all time based parameters like the arp and shape seq instead of having to use the constant modulator workaround.
- A foldable interface. Without keyboard and/or modulator (V1 style) section. Hive takes a lot of screen estate (at 90-100%, lower is too cramped imo) on a laptop. I know it's a one screen philosophy but it's a pretty big and busy interface imo. And the drag and drop modulation works so good I often don't need to see the matrix.
- Proper Filter drive (that also drives without resonance).
- a way to reverse scroll direction for parameter adjustments. On my trackpad double finger scroll is backwards.[edit: I read somewhere this is already on the todo list]
- a way to hpf(and maybe lpf) the sub oscillators. I always high pass noise but would rather not to sacrifice a filter to do so.
- a way to change parameter value with scrolling while the orange (modulation depth) dot is activate. Unlike mouse click and drag, you cannot change the parameter value itself by pointing at the knob outside of the orange dot. Scrolling here also adjusts the modulation depth.
[EDIT]
- Values in hz/db/ms (or the choice to do so) instead of 1-100
- A way to type in values [EDIT2] You can! just start typing...

Although I love the innovative thinking behind the shape sequencer and it encourages experimentation, I feel it is sometimes cumbersome or even limited if you know what you want and need a specific rhythms (that you can easily create with an MSEG). E.g. I can't seem to have segment start with a flat and just have a ramp at the end or start a segment(?) a little early for some swing. Sure it can create a super complex rhythms (especially icm the fg) but imo these are more created by accident than by choice or need more work for a simple task.
Overall I think the new modulation section has introduced some 'eurorack' modular concepts that, although interesting (and thoughtfully implemented), stray away from the initial no frills less is more concept behind Hive which I love. For instance I totally agree with the choice to not include a wavetable editor but 99% of the time I use the function generators simply as 'LFO 3 and 4'.

In the presets browser, I would LOVE it if there was a button to load a random preset...
This button would respect the current directory or tags selection.
So, if the '01 Basses' folder is currently selected, hitting the 'Random Preset' button would load a random preset from the '01 Basses' folder.

If, in the TAGS window, you currently have 'Pads' selected, hitting the 'Random Preset' button would load a random preset from the 'Pads' category.

I think this would be a great way to be able to explore the preset library without having to put too much initial thought into precisely what you're looking for. It would facilitate exploration and happy accidents

the3ug3reeder wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:24 am In the presets browser, I would LOVE it if there was a button to load a random preset...
This button would respect the current directory or tags selection.
So, if the '01 Basses' folder is currently selected, hitting the 'Random Preset' button would load a random preset from the '01 Basses' folder.

If, in the TAGS window, you currently have 'Pads' selected, hitting the 'Random Preset' button would load a random preset from the 'Pads' category.

I think this would be a great way to be able to explore the preset library without having to put too much initial thought into precisely what you're looking for. It would facilitate exploration and happy accidents
Cool idea! A random feature can be nice when you're in that mood. Although you can make quite complex patches in Hive, so it would probably need a lot of 'intelligence' or fed with a lot of ML to be really useful.

Return to “u-he”