Modeling an acoustic piano...

DSP, Plug-in and Host development discussion.
joshb
KVRist
85 posts since 13 Apr, 2016

Post Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:57 pm

Happy New Year everyone.

I thought I'd start the new year with an interesting experiment...modeling an acoustic piano. Can anyone point me towards a good starting point?

Karplus-Strong?

Any clues how Pianoteq does it?

Music Engineer
KVRAF
3774 posts since 8 Mar, 2004 from Berlin, Germany

Re: Modeling an acoustic piano...

Post Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:04 pm

joshb wrote:Karplus-Strong?
yes - but you will at least need an additional allpass in the feedback loop of the delayline to get the inharmonicity of stiff strings:

http://www.dafx.ca/proceedings/papers/p_071.pdf

and you probably want to model sympathetic resonance, i.e. a mutual cross-excitation of all the individual strings. i guess that implies to actually run the delaylines for all strings at all times making it essentially a giant feedback delay network, but i'm really just guessing :o

Ananke
KVRer
8 posts since 30 Sep, 2010

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:16 am

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/pasp/Pi ... hesis.html

Could be an interesting project. Maybe stick it on github after :D

EvilDragon
KVRAF
17193 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:34 am

Pianoteq uses much more than K-S... Lots of equation solving in realtime, possibly a crossbreed between waveguides and additive synthesis as well...

syntonica
KVRist
443 posts since 25 Sep, 2014 from Specific Northwest

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:33 pm

You've got a number of things to model: the strings, including the initial strike, sympathetic resonance and reverb, the damper, etc. Then, if you want, I suppose you could use samples for the sounds of the hammers, the pedals, etc. There's quite a bit going on under the hood. The latest Pianoteq seems to go overboard at this--I find it overly muddy and noisy. Sampled pianos seem to be more clear and open sounding, at this point, although limited in adjustability.

EvilDragon
KVRAF
17193 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:13 pm

Latest Pianoteq is absolutely not going overboard... you can reduce the noise volumes if you find it noisy (I don't).

syntonica
KVRist
443 posts since 25 Sep, 2014 from Specific Northwest

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:30 pm

I've just listened to the new demos, I haven't futzed with the new plugin yet, but I still didn't care that much for the previous version. Somewhere between Pianoteq and True Piano lies modeled piano Nirvana for me.

Return to “DSP and Plug-in Development”