Restorative Up-Sampling (RUP) and Quantization Error and Artifact Reduction (QEAR)

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

www.livingstonintegralstudies.com contains pages about Restorative Up-Sampling (RUP) and Quantization Error and Artifact Reduction (QEAR). These ideas were initially visited years ago, but had some deep flaws. With maturing vision, and a greater commitment to mathematical rigor (as much as I can muster), they may be ready now for an audience. I still have my doubts about them, but figured it might be time to share. They draw inspiration, in part, from Michael Talbot's book, "The Holographic Universe."

Thanks for your time...

The algorithm might work, but not in the way as described.
A signal surrounded by infinite silence is essentially limitlessly “zero-padded” in both the positive and negative directions, and it turns out these zeros contain information
:clown: yes, a lot of nothings izzzz.... Nothing!! :lol: :nutter:

Let's try that teleportation machine then.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Winkie wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:17 pma greater commitment to mathematical rigor (as much as I can muster)
I'm sorry, but you really did not manage any as far as I can see.

As I review my results again, I am dissatisfied. The pages have been taken down. Sorry for wasting you guys' time, but I thought I was on to something...

Winkie wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:47 am As I review my results again, I am dissatisfied. The pages have been taken down.
Oh bummer. Your article about zero-point energy was a fascinating read though. Thanks for sharing.
Winkie wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:47 am Sorry for wasting you guys' time, but I thought I was on to something...
We're all responsible for our own wasting of our time. Time is far more precious than energy. Energy never really gets wasted, it just goes into a form or place we cannot use for our own profit anymore. Time on the other hand can be spent only once.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I noticed an egregious error in my RUP White Paper work, the correction of which actually simplified matters. The web-pages are back up, edited substantially. I have made less attempt to claim a rigor and elegance I can't seem to achieve, and am mainly limiting myself to prose, algorithm code, and results: www.livingstonintegralstudies.com

...Cheers.

Hi KVR Readers:

I buckled down and wrote some MATLAB code (more popular platform), debugged and ran it on a newly purchased copy of MATLAB, and in the process, found a small error in my DADiSP code which magnified to affect the output files on the website. I believe the error has been rectified, both in the MATLAB code for (RUP) and the DADiSP code as well. The output files on the website have been updated, and the code appears there. MATLAB code for (QEAR) is pending...

Thanks to a gentleman at DSPRelated for a dialog which seems to have corrected a flaw in my reasoning.

Hi KVR-Audio Posse:

Results of of integrating some of deanpk's (from DSP-Related) suggestions into the Restorative Up-Sampling algorithm, along with a substantially modified and, thankfully, less lengthy White Paper discussion are available at www.livingstonintegralstudies.com

I view the improvements that he has made possible through generous dialog as being quite marked. Only the DADiSP platform code is currently available, but I am pondering a MATLAB translation. I have yet to check my Noise Reduction (QEAR) outputs, as I get perhaps a little superstitious about looking success or failure in the mirror without the buffer of another human consciousness of good-will "holding space" for me, as it were, but I am waiting on feedback locally.

Although I haven't looked myself at anything other than the Restorative Up-Sampling (RUP) outputs, which I thought sounded good, the results of the (QEAR) Noise Reduction are available to you at the website.

...Cheers.

There is a very simple way to test a new theory. Just make a product, and watch the market trend. Over all these years, I've learned that the public, over a very long period of time, can spot something that works, and simply help it grow. If there's an item being used there's always a motivation underneath - sometimes it's not even enough to capture the imagination, because there's always someone in the crowd who has the means to dismantle something that doesn't do what it promises to do.
The problem of making something new at all costs then is unavoidable: to stay on the market, if an object is not new it must have better execution than others, or develop an idea in a way that no one has ever done. Otherwise it will get lost in the noise.

hello i've been away from this forum for over a year and have finally logged back in and can report that the unchecked madness that is this forum, where i'm never sure if people are joking or really actually being serious, hasn't changed a bit and i hope it never does

I have written, run, and debugged some MATLAB code for the current versions of the RUP and QEAR algorithms, and this appears on the website posted here: www.livingstonintegralstudies.com ...Furthermore, I had embedded a scalar multiplier in the RUP code that seemed to be boosting the higher frequencies of the output at the expense of the lower frequencies. This misguided scaling factor was not called for by theory, and was situated in the middle of a 'for' loop... not the place to adjust final output levels.

Check out the results of this change if so moved...

Again, thanks for your patience with my, perhaps, arcane way of using your forum, and...

...Cheers.

Winkie wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:54 am I have written, run, and debugged some MATLAB code for the current versions of the RUP and QEAR algorithms, and this appears on the website posted here: www.livingstonintegralstudies.com ...Furthermore, I had embedded a scalar multiplier in the RUP code that seemed to be boosting the higher frequencies of the output at the expense of the lower frequencies. This misguided scaling factor was not called for by theory, and was situated in the middle of a 'for' loop... not the place to adjust final output levels.

Check out the results of this change if so moved...

Again, thanks for your patience with my, perhaps, arcane way of using your forum, and...

...Cheers.
hello. i am definitely a fan of whatever it is going on here. my earlier comment was like writing on a bathroom wall to no one in particular or kvr at large, thought i should disambiguate that

Well, perhaps not quite mysticism, but nevertheless, at least one reader expressed being a fan of what was going on with the Restorative Up-Sampling algorithm (RUP) page of the website: www.livingstonintegralstudies.com, and I can finally report that the work is through as far as I can see.

Not quite mysticism, since there is a trade-off where quantization imprecision is amplified by the restorative up-sampling process, but this can largely be mitigated with the also discussed Quantization Error and Artifact Reduction algorithm (QEAR), which has its own page and White Paper as well.

I apologize that the audio clips are so short; it may be hard to acclimate the ear to what you're hearing and listening for before the playback is over. However, MATLAB code for all algorithms and subroutines is included. Other discussion on the website includes some very adventurous speculative explorations that might not suit some readers' tastes, but I hope that people can sift through what might have a chance of being over-the-top, and separate the wheat from the chaff.

Thanks.

Perhaps because I finally declared the work "finished," I spotted a very elementary error that I made in my QEAR filter design. Embarrassing as it is to admit, it likely changes the sound of the output files somewhat. If I discover anything else that needs changing, I won't spam you guys with constant updates... I will just make the change and leave it at that.

Can you link audio demos?

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”