KnobMan, the VSTGUI AnimationKnob bitmap generator

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Those Knurled knobs are really good

how do you choose 1 layer to be ontop of another?
(sorry,just seen the down layer!) :oops:

hope this isn't another dumb Q,i load an image and set the Y offset to animate from -100 to +100,but it doesn't slide all the way(only about 3 quarters of the way up or down). what am i doing?

hello,
thx to using KnobMan :)
im happy because KVRmembers here making many excellent knobs :D
spacedad wrote:hope this isn't another dumb Q,i load an image and set the Y offset to animate from -100 to +100,but it doesn't slide all the way(only about 3 quarters of the way up or down). what am i doing?
I think you zoom the image? the offset parameters range(-100 to +100) will make offset only 100% of the original image width/heght. okay, i will expand the offsetX/Y range to -200 to +200 on the next release.

if you want to test this now, please input the offset value over 100 manually.

great! i justed tried it and it needed to be more like + - 250.
thanks for your help,this is a truly amazing app. :)

ver 1.03
http://www.g200kg.com/archives/software_knobman_e.html

*MaskGradation parameter added
*LightingDir parameter added
*HelpFile added
*BugFix:Imported png's half-transparent edge gone dark.
*BugFix:RadiusMask center a little incorrect.
*BugFix:Hue range limited to -100 to +100.
*BugFix:TGA export Y axis
*Window position saved to .ini
*Prompt when overwrite
*RightPane MouseWheel behavior improved

because the helpfile is too simple, members here may not need this :). i think the mask gradation behavier is not easy to understand, but may be used for a little trick even if statically use (hilight from top is just a white circlefill with vertical mask gradation)

woah woah woah woah!
give me a chance to use it :P

I was thinking the same thing! I've downloaded the last three updates and before I've gotten round to having a play a new version has come out! :lol:

Thank you g200kg! :hug:

looks like a seriously nice knob tool, but i doubt there is better knob tools than 3D packages... blender is free :) http://www.blender.org/

Blender is great, but not everyone has the six months to invest in becoming a 3-D rendering expert. Also, a few of us (ok, just me, then) are graphically-challenged (... artistically we suck).

Knobman is sweet! Thanks g200kg!
I have a cunning plan ...

kenn wrote:Blender is great, but not everyone has the six months to invest in becoming a 3-D rendering expert.
ah, you dont need to be an expert in order to make a knob. You just need to know some basic modelling and texturing, a few introduction tutorials is all you need. The animation skills you need is basically "how to rotate a cylinder"... :)

Fred e wrote:
kenn wrote:Blender is great, but not everyone has the six months to invest in becoming a 3-D rendering expert.
ah, you dont need to be an expert in order to make a knob. You just need to know some basic modelling and texturing, a few introduction tutorials is all you need. The animation skills you need is basically "how to rotate a cylinder"... :)
Even seasoned I.T. professionals tend to baulk at the first glimpse of Blender's interface. As it's free, it's a good choice if you've never done any 3D work before but it can be a bit self-defeating. The learning curve is extremely steep, it took all of my patience to model even a basic shape (something I gave up on several times) when I first started.

I love Blender, but if I had to knock up a set of knobs I'd use this tool now - it's great! :)
Analogue or digital – which is better? There's only one way to find out... FI-I-IGHT!!!

if you're going to use a tool like blender to create your images you will be wasting an awful lot of potential quality by using pre-rotated bitmaps. to get real use out of a tool like blender requires that you seperate the light/shadow and texture layers and apply the compositing and rotation real-time as part of your gui.

most people are not going to be able to model a knob in blender, forget about writing the code required for high quality rotation and compositing.

As with most things in life, it's not about what you use but how well you use it. :)

kenn wrote:Also, a few of us (ok, just me, then) are graphically-challenged (... artistically we suck).
That would be me, too.

Every once in awhile I get on a kick thinking I will finally get the hang of creating a decent UI. So I do some searches and download a few graphic program demos hoping one of them will kickstart me on the way to creating sleek, beautiful GUI's. It's yet to happen.

I'm usually overwhelmed by the learning curve involved in using a graphics program. It makes me appreciate what someone must feel when trying to learn DSP programming for the first time or learning C++. So I wind up getting frustrated and quit.

With a program like Knobman, I have a fighting chance of coming up with something that doesn't completely suck. :) Especially when using some of the wonderful examples as a starting point. It is so cool to see how the knobs are put together by paging through the layers that make up the overall image.

Another thing that impresses me about this program is that it has the potential for being more than just a knob renderer. We've already seen examples of sliders, leds, and check boxes. I bet an inventive artist could use the program to just about create an entire GUI.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has had fun watching this program evolve.

Kudos to g200kg. Thanks for the great work.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”