Now hiring a rockstar (!) Plugin Developer - Full Time Position with a Touring Musician

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cylocin wrote:If it was indeed an ad for DM, then the required drug screening is especially ironic... :roll:
There's no mention of a drug screening, only a background check.

Maybe it's for the New Kids on the Block :hihi:
noise and beats: Negutyv Xeiro do people actually click these?
gearlust: Roland JP-8000, too much/not enough eurorack
machinecode by: u-he, Bitwig, Fabfilter, NI, et al

I'm sure 'asomers' is applying right now, now that the secret's out ... :P

plastique wrote:I'm sure 'asomers' is applying right now, now that the secret's out ... :P
Oh 'plastique' you are so witty, you really got me! :clap:

I was actually thinking of sending an inquiry just to get to the bottom of this, and then (to your credit) it occurred to me that I would not want to use my day-to-day e-mail to do it. Then I considered making a temporary one. Anyhow amidst this deliberation my lead singer called me with a few bug reports from the fans at our last gig... back to work!

An arrogant reply ? Who would have guessed ?

I was trying to play along with your 'humor'.

But clearly that is a sense you lack... :ud:

EDIT/ADDENDUM:

This thread has got me thinking about the issue of using this forum for classified ads. From what I've seen over the years, a good number of posts about work for hire, or 'partnerships', or 'collaboration' of some kind often get beat down hard and fast, no matter how innocuous. Personally, I don't come here to look for work, and I doubt most other readers of this forum do, either. The forum is for discussions on the topic of "DSP and Plug-In development." It's clear to me that an unknowledgeable 'outsider' coming in here to post-and-run with some anonymous job offer would get spurned simply for being off-topic, if nothing else. But on the other hand, when programmers with plug-in expertise do find themselves in the job market, where do they turn for listings targeting their skill set? This question comes up from time to time on this forum, as well (usually from sub-n00bs). And on that token, where can a potential employer with such a particular need find available talent in the field, without crashing this little geek party?

Well, I've got a couple of ideas:

- A subforum for dev classifieds
- More stringent guidelines for this sort of thing (such as revealing your identity in some capacity)

Or maybe thinking about this has been a waste of time. All I know is that on a certain list about music and dsp classifieds go something like "Company xyz is seeking..." or "The university of abc has open researcher positions...", and there is never a problem. I guess I would rather see postings like that of the OP either respected, or ignored, or deleted (if they fail to meet the guidelines). Thanks for the bandwidth.
Last edited by asomers on Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Edit] not worth it
Last edited by plastique on Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[Edit] not worth it
Last edited by plastique on Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

That's more than enough of the personal attacks. Quit it.

[Edit] not worth it
Last edited by plastique on Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

*thumbs up*

Edited (why did I even bother rereading the old posts ?) + signed off

asomers wrote:This thread has got me thinking about the issue of using this forum for classified ads. From what I've seen over the years, a good number of posts about work for hire, or 'partnerships', or 'collaboration' of some kind often get beat down hard and fast, no matter how innocuous. Personally, I don't come here to look for work, and I doubt most other readers of this forum do, either. The forum is for discussions on the topic of "DSP and Plug-In development." It's clear to me that an unknowledgeable 'outsider' coming in here to post-and-run with some anonymous job offer would get spurned simply for being off-topic, if nothing else.
That isn't unique to this forum, as you probably know. For example, post a job offer in the "Lounge" at Code Project, and you'll get your ass handed to you. But then Code Project has a dedicated Jobs board, so there's no excuse for someone posting an off-topic jobs offer to the wrong board; when they do so, it's typically a sign they haven't done their homework.

Many Usenet groups I've frequented share the same attitude.

On the other hand, there's a few forums that have a more relaxed view towards job posting.

Me, I don't really mind them here except I do kind of resent the hit-and-run practise. At least stick around to answer questions.

Also, I think a distinction needs to be made between a job offer and someone who thinks they have a sure fire idea that will make money. They just need someone to implement it - You write it, I'll market it, and we'll be rich. I look at those kinds of posts with a fair amount of skepticisim.
But on the other hand, when programmers with plug-in expertise do find themselves in the job market, where do they turn for listings targeting their skill set? This question comes up from time to time on this forum, as well (usually from sub-n00bs). And on that token, where can a potential employer with such a particular need find available talent in the field, without crashing this little geek party?

Well, I've got a couple of ideas:

- A subforum for dev classifieds
- More stringent guidelines for this sort of thing (such as revealing your identity in some capacity)
Yeah, that would be cool. :)

As one of the few who has actually taken up work offered here (www.midimadness.co.uk) I can say that it was actually quite a good experience. My client was understanding (overall) that it was something that was fitted around my normal life, and so that work estimates were based on non-contiguous time-frames. So I said a part would take 'a week', and a 6 calendar weeks later he received something that took me a week of broken time.. once this concept was understood then things were more smooth.

I must confess, it is not something that I would consider doing every time, it's just that this came along at a time when I was looking for some work that would pay; plus the guy was in the same country as me, so we could meet. Had there not been a chance to meet, I don't think I would have gone ahead.

I have done work for others around the net who I have not met, but over the years had built up a rapport with (Hans Jakobsen from EarMaster, and Flavio Antonioli from NTrack). Having built up a reasonable level of trust, and seen how the guys operate in business has given me the confidence to proceed with them.

I don't mind the job offers, I often look for interests sake, but that's about all. I think a sub forum for work would not be worthwhile. It would attract more ads than we get now, and more since very few devs would be willing to go forward with the ideas there would possibly be negative press about the place. As it stands, I think there is a place for work to be touted, and the right to question it should be upheld - it's about trust at the end of the day. Bear in mind that the potential client has to trust the dev for IP security as much as the dev trust the client for payment; so requests for detailed design spec in a public place may not be appropriate. When Jim (aircut007) posted his ad, I PM'd him, got a phone number and we discussed brief specs about the idea. Once we were happy enough to proceed, I signed an NDA, we met and I saw the full design spec. Had a full spec been published at first demand, there would have been a danger the project would have stalled at the first hurdle.

There is more I could say, but I don't think it's for here and now; but suffice to say that it can be alright, but both parties need to find a way to tread carefully and respectfully with each other.

DSP

I think it's perfectly alright for people to post job offers and such here. Urs did it recently without causing a shitstorm. OTristan did it a while ago without getting any discussion at all.

This one just looks scammy, and the poster does not seem to want to remedy the situation.

Other times the flames come because the posters over value their own importance and/or undervalue development and developers.

I mean, it's not really anything consistently troublesome about job offers, it's just that from time to time people don't do it very well.

But it's OK by me. If we had threads like this one every day, it'd be a problem, but they are pretty rare now a days.

Rock Hardbuns wrote:I think it's perfectly alright for people to post job offers and such here. Urs did it recently without causing a shitstorm. OTristan did it a while ago without getting any discussion at all.
i think the crucial difference here is that Urs and otristan (UVI) have some background and reputation around here whereas this offer comes from a completely anonymous party. really - to not even name the band what this is all about - how is this supposed to raise any interest?
Other times the flames come because the posters over value their own importance and/or undervalue development and developers.
ah, i think this comment refers to the 'i have an idea - you do the simple matters of programming' kind of posts? :hihi:
I mean, it's not really anything consistently troublesome about job offers, it's just that from time to time people don't do it very well.
indeed - when done right, i'm perfectly fine with it. i have taken over the offer by UVI and later another one and i am quite happy with all that. but this offer here is really lacking the necesarry background information about the potential employer. ...and as he didn't come back either, i suppose it is probably not really serious
My website: rs-met.com, My presences on: YouTube, GitHub, Facebook

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”