modplug tracker sources

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ive just spotted this on psycl boards

http://www.modplug.com/modplug/download ... e&session=
this is the direct link - you wont miss anything on th main page

MPT is a tracker style sequencer and sampler with basic VST hosting capabilities.

Nice find! Thanks mucho! :D
ModuLR / Radio

oops never saw this artical (or forum in fact) and just posted this to the instruments fourm. I hope someone will use this to make a tracker that runs as a vst.

Jaltho_ - you working on this? I remember we had an email a while back where you said that you were thinking about making a tracker plugin.

BTW my name is matthew Jackson

ModPlug is very old!

I would check out Renoise instead: www.renoise.com

PaintedBlue wrote:ModPlug is very old!

I would check out Renoise instead: www.renoise.com
One cannot get his hands on th renoise sourcecode. IT is not open source.

Anyway I'm not suggesting anyone just copy modplug and wrap it into a vst. I'm just saying that this code is there to get someone started.

If anyone want's to tackle this, or wants to colaborate, post here.

I wonder if the Impulse Tracker code is public domain now. Jeffrey Lim was the developer, but he stopped working on it many years back -- probably 1996 or so.

If someone could get in touch with him, maybe he would donate some of his code?

Yep, Renoise is up-to-date & more modern but I think the ModPlug Tracker interface beats the pants off of Renoise.

I was looking at the code to see how it handled the tracker interface. A VST with a tracker interface is something I've been thinking about too. However, I'd probably loose the sampler aspects alltogether.. and make it a pure midi plugin that triggers other VSTi's and handles midi-CC. :wink:
ModuLR / Radio

:( Mod- that's one option but they way that I see it, the sampler is integral to the tracking sequencer in that it can control precicly each note. That is to say, that I can trigger one sample A at C-4 and one sample B at G-3 and then I can reverse, stutter, pan, offset, chord, filter, loop, SLIDE, cut, etc. Sample A while I let Sample B do it's thing. It's this kind of control over each sample/note that I can't get out of a regular piano roll.

MIDI just dosen't provide enough control over each trigger. All midi params are global save for velocities, note, and note AT. VST has some work arounds for this but it is truely combersome and desolves all speed that tracking is so profuse at.

I'm not saying that a tracker midi plugin wouldn't be useful. :wink:

I know exactly what you are talking about.. and it definately is the greatest feature of trackting. I was thinking in terms of ease of implementation. See, I'm thinking more like this...

Use a midi tracker VST which feeds into energy-XT, which has ioPlong's Slifty loaded in it. I'd use Slifty to handle the samples, cause it can handle them like a tracker in a sense. You have full control over loop positions and everything. Then you assigned whatever params you want to midi-CC's.. and control everything from the Tracker with midi.

That way it's much easier to implement, and I'd never have to think about figuring out how to support loads of formats etc. I find that the simplest plugins are often the best, cos they only concentrate on doing one thing very good.. then let other programs handle the rest. :)
ModuLR / Radio

Easier to implement harder to use.

But hey man I think just get it out there. GNU means your code will have to be open source too right? Maybe someone else will care of that part.
There is some source code for the sample handling of some buzz trackers here.

http://www.cyanwerks.com/buzzdev/minitrk-source-2.zip

PS lots of good code in the dir above (fractal LFO's, loopers, filters, pitch shifters, etc)

Ive started something but its far from anything decent - basically a grid editor for midi files.
BTW soundbus is updated, ive fixed issues with not showing up in some hosts, but it still wont run in Buzz. For some reason it crashes whenever i try to read/write to memory mapped files from within Buzz.

Also just upped two new plugins :) http://www.geocities.com/asenov_z/jphasetrauma.zip
and http://www.geocities.com/asenov_z/jotono.zip
phasetrauma is a spectral multi-processor (scale, eq, feedback, gate) and otono is the frequency to note convertor class from ultram in a separate plugin, both with GUI
Last edited by jaltoh_ on Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cool jaltoh_.
Need help testing the grid editor? Could you use any of this code to make a tracker vst? Or enable sequencing of note dependent data?

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”