Is anyone using Blue Cat's Plug'n Script ?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Plug'n Script

You may want to try it out. The problem is that all plug-in formats & hosts have particular ways to handle sysex (either as a single buffer or as regular 3 bytes MIDI packets). By the avoid VST3 for MIDI as it only supports MIDI note messages properly.

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:06 pm You may want to try it out. The problem is that all plug-in formats & hosts have particular ways to handle sysex (either as a single buffer or as regular 3 bytes MIDI packets). By the avoid VST3 for MIDI as it only supports MIDI note messages properly.
Thanks for being frank and open about it.

Right now I am only concerned about StudioOne for personal use, not for public distribution.

StudioOne does not support sysex as such, I think - but is handled by the midi monitor built in - so think it handles or filters at least. Am to see if it records at all later today.

I've tested to send from Ctrlr controller plugin and it works.

So running script in VST2 of Plug'n Script is you best tip?

Are other things to be considered as future update eliminating these limitations, or?
You've been really good with patchwork and those things.

If I need to make a C++-something to bypass certain things, I can do that.
Don't know if full VST developer kits are needed in doing such things.
Or is this a "biggy"?

And think audience making external gear editors is huge - and would benefit greatly.

My first attempt is to send some sysex to control parameters in my Yamaha piano that they chose not having available otherwise than sysex.

Yes, VST2 is the best format for MIDI support (VST3 has completely removed MIDI, and what remains is usually implemented with "hacks").

We indeed intend to properly support Sysex in all plug-ins formats at some point in the future, but it is a rather large task.

https://www.kvraudio.com/news/steinberg ... d-67-43543
New Steinberg:Vst:LegacyMIDICCOutEvent: allowing a Plug-in to generate MIDI CC as output event.
New Steinberg:Vst:IMidiLearn (Plug-in): allow a Plug-in to get the currently live playing MIDI CC to implement custom MIDI learning.
New Steinberg:Vst:IPlugInterfaceSupport (Host): allow a Plug-in to ask the host if a given Plug-in interface is supported/used by the host.
New Steinberg:Vst:IVst3WrapperMPESupport (Wrapper): allow a Plug-in to setup MPE support in wrappers.

At last! It will probably take some time before it is fully supported by all hosts though!

A quick update: the new Plug'n Script 3.2 now fully supports MIDI I/O for the VST3 format, so it should finally be on a par with VST2, as long as you use a host that properly supports it...

On a completely different subject (but closer to the original topic), feel free to join this new Plug'n Script developers Facebook group (created by PnS users) if you would like to get in touch with fellow Plug'n Script developers.

I bought and have been fiddling around with this program. It works well and I highly recommend it to anyone.

The angelscript manual download is recommended, as is the gui embedded tech's instruction so that your skin is good. I'll be making my effects and such into aax and vst3, aax with this great plugin.

I'm a big supporter of Bluecat's plugins and will be posting tutorials in how to use this product to efficacy when I get serious with it.

Thanks! Welcome to the community! :tu:

You may also want to join the unofficial Plug'n Script developers group on Facebook created by PnS enthusiasts, and share your creations on the Plug'n Script repository on GitHub.

Yes, I'll share. all will be cc0. I was able to dl what you had; but it was minimal at best. I'm busy on projects right now but as soon as I can I will, your product has a lot of advantages. For VST2 though, the eccentric flowstone has such unique quirks, especially in sound - It's really too amusing to avoid lol. Your product works as expected which I like, but I've gotten used to eccentricity :).

I'll have to find ways of adding complexity and strangeness heh.

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:06 am Yes, VST2 is the best format for MIDI support (VST3 has completely removed MIDI, and what remains is usually implemented with "hacks").
Do you know where I can find out some information about midi hacks being used to get all midi in/out of a VST3 plugin?
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

I think you can find some information about it in the Steinberg developer forum, but it's a bit all over the place. If I remember well, the basics are:
- create "dummy" parameters (one per channel/CC Number - yes, that's a lot) to handle MIDI CC support. Make them non-automatable if you do not want the host to die...
- create (yet another) parameter to handle program change.
- there is an extra API for "Legacy" MIDI CC output.
But the issue is that all hosts do not support all of the above. Also, MIDI CC is not optimal, as there is (in many cases) no timing information.

Check out new site about Plug'n Script:
http://pns.letimix.com/

Took a quick look, it's very nice. What an excellent resource!

In case you have not noticed yet, Plug'n Script 3.3 is out!
We are happy to announce a free update for Blue Cat's Plug'n Script, our scripting software that can be programmed to create audio and MIDI effects or virtual instruments inside most Digital Audio Workstations (DAW).

This new version of the plug-in brings several new features to improve the creation of user interfaces and export them into independent plug-ins (VST, VST3, Audio Unit and AAX formats are supported), including new high resolutions graphics, new options and programming interfaces. It also contains many other fixes and enhancements for the software itself, and for the plug-ins created with it (full change list below).

The update is free for registered customers and can be downloaded from the same location as the original full version (link received by email upon purchase). A special introduction price (20% off) is available to new customers to purchase either the plug-in or the "Crafters Pack" bundle, until July 10th. Demo versions can be downloaded on www.bluecataudio.com for Mac and PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1hHvHHL0js

New in Blue Cat's Plug'n Script 3.3:
- Custom graphics and resource files are now be copied when exporting scripts as independent VST, VST3, AU or AAX plug-ins (SCRIPT_DATA_PATH folder).
- New version of the KUIML GUI programming language (2.7), with new widgets, new mouse and keyboard events handling features, system script function to execute shell commands and more.
- New version of the Angelscript Engine (2.34).
- New high resolution graphics for knobs.
- New background mode ("None") to create entirely custom user interfaces.
- New icon for the Plug'n Script Application.
- Reduced disk footprint.
- Fixed crash in exported VST3 plug-in when using input strings in scripts.
- Fixed crashes when using build-time script in KUIML widgets.
- Fixed gui.capture objects that could be exposed twice in KUIML objects.
- Fixed png or svg images alpha mask not properly loaded (was ignored)
- Fixed ignore_missing attribute for LOAD_FONT that still triggered an error.
- Mac application now fully supports dark mode on Mac OS Mojave and newer.
- Mac: fixed settings panel rendering issues in dark mode on Mac OS Mojave and newer.
- Mac: Fixed keyboard not responding in registration panel in some host applications (LUNA, Garage Band...).
- Mac: Fixed demo version that could hang Logic when reloading projects using the plug-in.
- Mac: fixed Retina scaling issue on buffered widgets in apps built with Mac OS 10.14 SDK and newer.

System requirements:
- Intel Mac running Mac OS 10.7 or newer.
- PC running Windows Vista or newer.

Pricing:
Blue Cat's Plug'n Script: 79 EUR or $79 (instead of 99 EUR or $99), until July 10th.
Blue Cat's Crafters Pack: 319 EUR or $319 (instead of 399 EUR or $399), until July 10th.
We've also posted about the the new (excellent) tutorials by Letimix to get started with scripting your own plug-ins on our blog:
How to create an audio or MIDI plug-in, in 20 minutes

Definitely worth reading and watching!

Hello Blue Cat is there a way to create a Rompler by importing SFZ or mapping samples into Blue Cat's Plug'n Srcript or is this stricly for DSP

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”