Free audio plugins blockchain and coin idea

DSP, Plug-in and Host development discussion.
aciddose
KVRAF
11941 posts since 7 Dec, 2004

Post Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:47 pm

No you haven't offered anything. You've stated an "idea" that is filled with serious issues and you've offered no solution, you haven't even acknowledged the issues and we haven't discussed them because the "idea" is so hollow that anyone with any ability to add anything of value to the discussion already knows it is a waste of time.

I've asked you how your idea will apply to free or commercial software: you've told me "that isn't the target for this", well you've just excluded 99% of software. So go ahead and write your own software using this method and set an example; maybe you might convince someone to join you in 100 years.

Now? It is impossible to "join" a movement which does not exist. Typing bullshit like "BLOCKCHAINS!!! OMIGAWD!!!" on a forum is 100% a waste of energy. Any moron can type bullshit. Who can actually implement an idea or solve its problems?

aciddose
KVRAF

Re: Free audio plugins blockchain and coin idea

Post Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:52 pm

Please stop repeating your nonsense about "mining rewards": there is no reward for computing encryption keys or hashes! It is exactly the same as generating random numbers!

Should I hit record and offer to sell a sample set of "VINTAGE ANALOG noise" ? Who will buy it?

I can trade it for photos taken with the lens cover on. Will both sides profit?

The only value comes from translating between a real currency or thing of value. The hashes and keys have absolutely zero value on their own.

Aleksey Vaneev
KVRAF
3512 posts since 7 Sep, 2002

Post Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:55 pm

aciddose wrote: What is going on in Russia today? Is that a surprise? It's natural evolution of this system.

Is this any different from the United States? No? Are you really surprised?

China is an example of a quite successful communist meritocracy: if I were forced to choose the most likely candidate to succeed in producing something better? China is my choice. They have many issues much like any other system but the evolutionary pressures in a meritocracy are different. Will this make a difference? I'm excited to find out.
Democracy is only a cultural phenomenon. In US it's an open competition. China has internal competition. But both systems are based on credit economy, so any power fights for the right to control credit system and for the right to pass the credit risk to less powerful economic agents. In the end debt accumulates to the point nobody takes credit and nobody repays credit. It's a very simple scheme: if agent A gives credit to agent B, and agent B loses money, the money is lost forever and a debt appears between agent A and agent B that can't be ever repaid.

Aleksey Vaneev
KVRAF

Post Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:57 pm

aciddose wrote:No you haven't offered anything. You've stated an "idea" that is filled with serious issues and you've offered no solution, you haven't even acknowledged the issues and we haven't discussed them because the "idea" is so hollow that anyone with any ability to add anything of value to the discussion already knows it is a waste of time.

I've asked you how your idea will apply to free or commercial software: you've told me "that isn't the target for this", well you've just excluded 99% of software. So go ahead and write your own software using this method and set an example; maybe you might convince someone to join you in 100 years.
Well, the idea is solid in my opinion. It applies to any type of software, but commercial developers may be more interested. That's what I've replied you: if you develop free software with an INTENT not to take money or any reward, the need of this blockchain may not be apparent to you.

aciddose
KVRAF

Post Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:58 pm

As solid as air.

aciddose
KVRAF

Post Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:05 pm

Aleksey Vaneev wrote:That's what I've replied you: if you develop free software with an INTENT not to take money or any reward, the need of this blockchain may not be apparent to you.
... but I don't develop "free software". I develop software. Why did I do this? I wanted to use the software.

What advantage does a "blockchain" provide? I do not need it and neither does anyone else. What are the advantages?

You still haven't explained a single advantage of what you propose. It is 100% disadvantage for any author to give up control to others or do extra work for nothing in exchange.

Trade is about things of value that are inaccessible. How does throwing in a useless "blockchain" make trade more effective? It doesn't! It must have some value in order for it to be adopted, because everything is about a trade of value. Not only must it have some unique value, it must be inaccessible to those who trade for it.

Do you think I'm a plug-in customer? f**k no! Such commercial software has no value to me because I can write my own, enjoy the process of writing it and reap countless benefits by exercising 100% control over the result.

If I couldn't effectively build my own I would be willing to trade something of value in return for it. That is what "economy" means!

aciddose
KVRAF

Post Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:23 pm

If you can come up with a way to use your "blockchain" to compute this sort of hash:
https://bcbud.store/product/okanagan-black-hash/

... then we will have something of real value that could relieve me of the stress of this thread. See you July 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM0i0wU5P9c

Robert Randolph
KVRAF
2113 posts since 25 May, 2003 from Saint Petersburg, Florida

Post Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:31 pm

Aleksey, I've read this entire thread so far. I understand blockchain and cryptocurrencies, I run a studio and I'm fairly familiar with audio technology. I also used to develop free VSTs.

As a free (as in money) software developer, I don't understand what problem this is solving.

As a customer, I don't understand what problem this is solving.

Can you simply state what the problem is, and how this solves it?
http://admiralbumblebee.com/
Audio Software Reviews, Woodworking, Programming and more... new posts every weekend!

MirkoVanHauten
KVRist
106 posts since 12 Mar, 2016

Post Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:52 pm

It feels a bit like you wanna be the "next Steve Jobs" by creating a market where no one is and make profit out of it (no offense) :lol: But honestly I too don't really get what problem should be solved :shrug:

Btw there's already so much trouble where people are upset when you have to make a tweet to get a free plugin, like their fb page or if the freebie is not that extensive so devs have the possibility to release an upgrade version. If you now tell them: "hey it's free but I'm still going to make profit out of it, you just have to register it here or need to create an account on our website" I think this will lead to even more trouble and misstrust.

Aleksey Vaneev
KVRAF

Post Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:53 pm

Robert Randolph wrote:Aleksey, I've read this entire thread so far. I understand blockchain and cryptocurrencies, I run a studio and I'm fairly familiar with audio technology. I also used to develop free VSTs.

As a free (as in money) software developer, I don't understand what problem this is solving.

Thank you for following the thread. The main problem this approach should solve is the shrinking money supply of the western credit economy overloaded with debt. I know this sounds crazy messianic, but I see the problem coming.

Aleksey Vaneev
KVRAF

Post Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:00 am

MirkoVanHauten wrote:It feels a bit like you wanna be the "next Steve Jobs" by creating a market where no one is and make profit out of it (no offense) :lol: But honestly I too don't really get what problem should be solved :shrug:

Btw there's already so much trouble where people are upset when you have to make a tweet to get a free plugin, like their fb page or if the freebie is not that extensive so devs have the possibility to release an upgrade version. If you now tell them: "hey it's free but I'm still going to make profit out of it, you just have to register it here or need to create an account on our website" I think this will lead to even more trouble and misstrust.
I'm a very bad marketer, not even close to Steve Jobs, my plugin business always relied on quality and word of mouth. For example, Google AdWords or pro audio magazine ads in the field were never affordable for my business. (I run AdWords ads in small quantities at minimal rates so that I'm at least not at a loss)

I do not see a problem in such blockchain if we speak about a sustainable economy. People use PayPal or credit cards to buy items, signing a blockchain record is not much more troublesome.

Robert Randolph
KVRAF
2113 posts since 25 May, 2003 from Saint Petersburg, Florida

Post Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:37 pm

Aleksey Vaneev wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:Aleksey, I've read this entire thread so far. I understand blockchain and cryptocurrencies, I run a studio and I'm fairly familiar with audio technology. I also used to develop free VSTs.

Thank you for following the thread. The main problem this approach should solve is the shrinking money supply of the western credit economy overloaded with debt. I know this sounds crazy messianic, but I see the problem coming.
But what does this have to do with people that want to give out things for free?

That seems to be the part that I'm missing.
http://admiralbumblebee.com/
Audio Software Reviews, Woodworking, Programming and more... new posts every weekend!

Aleksey Vaneev
KVRAF

Post Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:03 pm

Robert Randolph wrote:But what does this have to do with people that want to give out things for free?

That seems to be the part that I'm missing.
It is a chance to earn reward while still not taxing anyone in any considerable way. But as I understand it, if you give something completely and intentionally for free without expecting any reward, you are still supporting the credit system, because your way of survival is based on at least some income from the credit system. That's a choice - you either change nothing, or change something, probably for the better. But frankly saying, I'm not relying on good samaritans that are good, but are still slaves of the credit system.

Aleksey Vaneev
KVRAF

Post Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:26 pm

Economy is a system of assets, production and consumption. The more assets and productions there are in the system the higher can be the consumption. This promotes reduction of poverty. In digital age every bit of work can be turned into production that in the end works for the good of everyone. Even a free photo is an asset - the only question is how public values it. Currently photos you take with your smartphone have zero cost and thus their production benefits no one, because it is not accounted.

If you are a good samaritan, you can use blockchain rewards and donate/invest them into any project you want, for the good of everyone. Just make a step towards a system where all work is accounted.

E.g. in 2013 Facebook users uploaded 127 billion photos per year. If we assume one photo actually costs $0.001 (excluding hardware and hosting costs, of course ), it's $127 million unaccounted production. Someone actually steals this production, or at least takes an unaccounted and probably unfair share of it, because nobody in credit economy would pay for it - people have other things required for survival to buy.
Last edited by Aleksey Vaneev on Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stratum
KVRAF
1840 posts since 29 May, 2012

Post Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:52 pm

About the credit supply problem: the politicians arguing about the western world debt problem are doing a pretty bad job of selling the idea that it's a problem that needs to be solved. The ones who say kick the can down the road are winning. The reason is that many countries rely on their consumption capability. Think of it for a moment - even your plugins didn't ever really have many customers elsewhere.
~stratum~

Return to “DSP and Plug-in Development”