Can one copy data from VST to the clip board and paste it to the DAW timeline?

DSP, Plug-in and Host development discussion.
soundmodel
KVRian
644 posts since 28 May, 2010 from Finland

Post Wed May 23, 2018 1:24 pm

Can one copy data from VST to the clip board and paste it to the DAW timeline?

soundmodel
KVRian
644 posts since 28 May, 2010 from Finland

Re: Can one copy data from VST to the clip board and paste it to the DAW timeline?

Post Wed May 23, 2018 1:31 pm

Like in Maschine, which does "midi drag-n-drop".
Last edited by soundmodel on Thu May 24, 2018 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xenakios
KVRian
1144 posts since 9 Sep, 2005 from Oulu, Finland

Re: Can one copy data from VST to the clip board and paste it to the DAW timeline?

Post Thu May 24, 2018 8:53 am

The copy to clipboard step is obviously possible because VST plugins can use any OS APIs they like. But the paste step is likely not supported by many hosts. (I checked with Reaper and that does not support pasting neither from files nor from file names in the system clipboard. But maybe some other hosts do support that...)

soundmodel
KVRian
644 posts since 28 May, 2010 from Finland

Re: Can one copy data from VST to the clip board and paste it to the DAW timeline?

Post Thu May 24, 2018 9:14 am

Xenakios wrote:The copy to clipboard step is obviously possible because VST plugins can use any OS APIs they like. But the paste step is likely not supported by many hosts. (I checked with Reaper and that does not support pasting neither from files nor from file names in the system clipboard. But maybe some other hosts do support that...)
But since most DAWs support copy pasting midi clips, then why wouldn't it be possible to "mimick" the clipboard containing a midi clip and then the host would know how to paste it?

Xenakios
KVRian
1144 posts since 9 Sep, 2005 from Oulu, Finland

Re: Can one copy data from VST to the clip board and paste it to the DAW timeline?

Post Thu May 24, 2018 9:17 am

soundmodel wrote: But since most DAWs support copy pasting midi clips, then why wouldn't it be possible to "mimick" the clipboard containing a midi clip and then the host would know how to paste it?
The hosts likely use a private data format for that. But if you are able to reverse engineer it for each host, it might work.

soundmodel
KVRian
644 posts since 28 May, 2010 from Finland

Re: Can one copy data from VST to the clip board and paste it to the DAW timeline?

Post Thu May 24, 2018 9:25 am

Xenakios wrote:
soundmodel wrote: But since most DAWs support copy pasting midi clips, then why wouldn't it be possible to "mimick" the clipboard containing a midi clip and then the host would know how to paste it?
The hosts likely use a private data format for that. But if you are able to reverse engineer it for each host, it might work.
But if JUCE is able to support MIDI drag n drop to the DAW timeline, then they have figured it out? Because it's similar to what copy+paste would do.

Xenakios
KVRian
1144 posts since 9 Sep, 2005 from Oulu, Finland

Re: Can one copy data from VST to the clip board and paste it to the DAW timeline?

Post Thu May 24, 2018 9:29 am

soundmodel wrote: But if JUCE is able to support MIDI drag n drop to the DAW timeline, then they have figured it out? Because it's similar to what copy+paste would do.
The hosts likely use a different mechanism for drag and drop than for copy/paste. (Even if they are supposed to be quite similar things.)

Chrisboy2000
KVRist
44 posts since 21 Apr, 2008 from Germany

Re: Can one copy data from VST to the clip board and paste it to the DAW timeline?

Post Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:58 am

Create a temporary MIDI file and drag this to the timeline. If the host supports dropping MIDI files, that should work.

This is how JUCE handles the dropping of MIDI clips AFAIK.

Return to “DSP and Plug-in Development”