Working together with preset creators - your thoughts and experiences?

DSP, Plug-in and Host development discussion.
hauke
KVRist
233 posts since 16 Jul, 2013 from Dresden, Germany

Post Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:22 am

Hey everybody,

during the last years I created several products on my own. From code to UI to presets - it was a one-man-show.

For my next product, I would be interested in adding more presets. To a certain extend I can do this on my own, but obviously adding the presets of other people can
a) bring in more variation and
b) help me to provide more content than I could do on my own.

I already found someone who might be a good fit. However, neither him nor me have experiences with projects like this. Especially regarding payments that are "fair" for both sides.

I would be happy to get some input from other devs and creators here. What's your experience with this? Do you offer a one-time-payment? Or do you share a certain percentage of your sales with your preset creators?
I would be very interested in typical business rates, deals, and best practices here 8) :) .

Cheers,
Hauke of FeelYourSound
Songwriting software: Sundog Song Studio | MelodicFlow (scales and melodies VSTi) | XotoPad (Windows touch controller)

Lotuzia
KVRAF
9698 posts since 19 Feb, 2004 from Paris

Re: Working together with preset creators - your thoughts and experiences?

Post Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:15 am

Usually paiement is made on a per -sometimes retained- preset basis.

Benefits of empoying external ressources are exactly what you describe : Different people, different presets : Diversity, Life.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Scrubbing Monkeys
KVRian
566 posts since 21 Apr, 2017 from Bahia, Brazil

Post Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:19 am

Usually a one time payment per patch or group of patches. But I kinda like the idea of royalty based payment especially if you are dealing with a primary sound designer. It saves money on the front end for you and rewards the sound designer in the long term. A more shared risk if you will.

hauke
KVRist

Post Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:19 am

Scrubbing Monkeys, Lotuzia: Thanks for your responses :) !
Lotuzia wrote:Usually paiement is made on a per -sometimes retained- preset basis.
What does "retained" mean here? Like "if the product makes enough money, you will get paid X"? Or "a little bit up front, then the next batch later on"?
Songwriting software: Sundog Song Studio | MelodicFlow (scales and melodies VSTi) | XotoPad (Windows touch controller)

mystran
KVRAF
4983 posts since 12 Feb, 2006 from Helsinki, Finland

Post Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:44 am

hauke wrote:Scrubbing Monkeys, Lotuzia: Thanks for your responses :) !
Lotuzia wrote:Usually paiement is made on a per -sometimes retained- preset basis.
What does "retained" mean here? Like "if the product makes enough money, you will get paid X"? Or "a little bit up front, then the next batch later on"?
I think they mean "per preset that actually ships with the product" in case some presets are discarded.
If you'd like Signaldust to return, please ask Katinka Tuisku to resign.

hauke
KVRist

Post Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:35 am

mystran wrote: I think they mean "per preset that actually ships with the product" in case some presets are discarded.
Ah, thanks for the clarification! That makes sense.

Return to “DSP and Plug-in Development”