Payment processors

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What do you guys (developers) use to sell licenses? I've used PayPal for almost 10 years but it has a major flaw, a customer can file a fake complaint with PayPal simply claiming "I didn't receive the product" and PayPal will only give you the opportunity to provide a FedEx tracking number (like we use FedEx to send software...), and failure to provide a tracking number will result in an automatic refund and you can't do anything about it, no one at PayPal will even give you the time of the day no matter what you try.

So clearly not the best way to handle things for people who sell software. It seems there are many alternatives out there but it's hard to tell who is worth the bother. I asked PluginBoutique and they told me they rely entirely on PayPal, so that's no help. So what do you use?
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

We're selling via share-it (a part of mycommerce). They take care of the whole payment (different countries, different methods like paypal, credit card, wire transfer, giropay, check) and refund process. Then simply send us a notification when the payment was successfully done, so we can automatically create licenses. It can deliver licenses directly after the payment too, for example keys out of a predefined list. They also keep track about (potential) fraud.

Squidsneeze wrote:We're selling via share-it (a part of mycommerce). They take care of the whole payment (different countries, different methods like paypal, credit card, wire transfer, giropay, check) and refund process. Then simply send us a notification when the payment was successfully done, so we can automatically create licenses. It can deliver licenses directly after the payment too, for example keys out of a predefined list. They also keep track about (potential) fraud.
Sounds pretty good! I'll check it out.

Edit: Wow why are the reviews so abysmal? See that's the thing, everytime I look at reviews it says everything is awful https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.mycommerce.com

A_SN wrote:Edit: Wow why are the reviews so abysmal? See that's the thing, everytime I look at reviews it says everything is awful https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.mycommerce.com
Yeah we found those reviews too before, but I cannot confirm any of those. Their support was very helpful when we had questions or when we were setting up that whole system and tested it. We knew of other devs using it too and there are no complaints from customers.

share-it does provide a payment & delivery process, but of course as a dev you need to keep the product information up to date. Many of the reviews claim to not get product links or licenses which doesn't nessecary have to be the fault of share-it, since you can decide to deliver licenses or product link separate from share-it. It could also be the fault of lousy devs then (not only in the audio industry, since it is used by many companies).

And like I said it keeps track of fraud too, so if you refund orders with a certain mail address/payment information a couple times, they may setup some security barriers before you can buy again. Maybe some of the reviewers experienced that...

I’ve used Share-it for 15 years now. I have no issues with them, and you can refund people whenever you like, a lot of those reviews seem to be about the companies that use them, not Share-it themselves.

Good points, so with the leeway they give it's up to me to do things right then, although it seems that as a result at least a few people would rather avoid it. It's interesting that two of you would use the same thing given that I never heard of MyCommerce/Share-it at all before.

Using Stripe here, works a charm.
They have advanced fraud detection measures built-in using AI etc., and they handle subscriptions too.
You have to handle the download / license delivery yourself though.

I've been using http://www.fastspring.com for over a year and it's been completely trouble-free.

lorcan wrote:Using Stripe here, works a charm.
They have advanced fraud detection measures built-in using AI etc., and they handle subscriptions too.
You have to handle the download / license delivery yourself though.
Yeah not a problem for me as that's what I already do. But isn't Stripe limited to some countries? I'm based in Poland and it doesn't seem like they support that.

2checkout.com was good for the last 12 years for us. Very small order cancellation and expiration rates (not to be confused with refunds) which means their payment procedure is close to optimal.

On a note about fraudulent PayPal refunds, for us this problem is almost non-existent. Refunds happen, but in most cases due to buyer misunderstanding the reason for payment in PayPal account.

Been very happy with https://itch.io/

itch.io handles payments, key generation for resellers, discounts, bundles, download key for press, press accounts. People rarely complain about creating an account there.

Handles payment through Paypal and Stripe, and Stripe can handle many many payments. So you get that 3% fee and can be paid in the currency you're choosing. Refunds are possible through Paypal and Stripe. You can move away with your data if need be.

You can let them handle EU VAT but in this case you don't choose the currency, however there will be more payment options.

The price is whatever you want to give them.

I would avoid Gumroad as much as possible you can since they are rate-limited by Paypal => lost sales, and are expensive.
Checkout our VST3/VST2/AU/AAX/LV2:
Inner Pitch | Lens | Couture | Panagement | Graillon

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”