First steps on Vectorizing Audio Plugins: which Instruction Set do you use in 2018?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Max M. wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:18 am Nowhk
Two sine waves playing together with a detune of just 1 cent each other is totally audible

With "a few cents" I was targeting more on your example of detuning of sines of different octaves (and/or harmonically rich sounds of a real world if it's about the same note "unison"). Obviously for pure sine waves the beat frequency of 1 cent detune (Fbeat = F*1.00057778950655 - F) is audible if F is high enough (like in your example above).
OK, so let's get pedantic and stick to the sine waves of the same note but then also use the actual errors values of your concern (e.g. < 1/1000 of a cent), did you estimate what would be the beat frequency? Please do: fbeat = (f * 2^(detune_in_cents/1200)) - f.
I've finally tried to detune two Sytrus sines (C5, ~523hz) at 0.0001 cent (i.e. the ~error that could be introduced by using that approx exp function). Here's the result after ~17 minutes:

I'm not saying that this is "bad" (in fact, it doesn't do a "beat" period at all; just a slight amp decrease after lots of minutes): I'm just realizing that this "could" happens playing two notes that are supposed to stay in sync :)

Its somethings I've never considered hehe

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”