Is building for multiple platforms always so difficult?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

WilliamK wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:49 pm
Ivan_C wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:20 am
Since Pro Tools is rapidly declining in popularity,
Where have you heard that ? That's not my feeling at all in the professional market
I can confirm that, it's dead, good bye Avid. Thanks for making everything so hard for devs... AAX sucks big time...
Now that's wishful thinking.
Walk into any pro studio and ask 'hey, do you guys use pro-tools?' and they''ll just blink at you. Of course they use ProTools!!

A general rule for "platforms" is that there is only room for the top 2.
For example take phones, the top 2 platforms are IOS and Android. Despite spending literally BILLIONS of dollers, Microsoft failed to break into the market.
Back to plugin standards, if there is only room for two platforms, then the two biggest are VST and Audio-Unit. Everything else is doomed to fail due to 'network effects" (google it). I predict sooner or later, Pro-tools will be forced to support Audio-Units.

Jeff McClintock wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:02 am A general rule for "platforms" is that there is only room for the top 2.
For example take phones, the top 2 platforms are IOS and Android. Despite spending literally BILLIONS of dollers, Microsoft failed to break into the market.
Back to plugin standards, if there is only room for two platforms, then the two biggest are VST and Audio-Unit. Everything else is doomed to fail due to 'network effects' (consumers gravitate toward the platform with the most apps, causing a downward death-spiral for anyone but the top platforms). I predict sooner or later, Pro-tools will be forced to support Audio-Units.

vortico wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:47 pm I can even cross-compile all three architectures on a single Linux machine.
Wow, how do you do that?

The only nuissance about AAX is PACE. Currently about 2 out of 3 builds on our build servers fail because of wraptool errors. It's obviously not made for continuous integration, they probably had companies in mind which build their stuff maybe once a week and not a few hundred times a day.

Urs wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:49 am The only nuissance about AAX is PACE. Currently about 2 out of 3 builds on our build servers fail because of wraptool errors. It's obviously not made for continuous integration, they probably had companies in mind which build their stuff maybe once a week and not a few hundred times a day.
So you don’t use the developer version of Protools?

moss wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:41 am
vortico wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:47 pm I can even cross-compile all three architectures on a single Linux machine.
Wow, how do you do that?
osxcross for Mac. The MacOS SDK 10.11 seems to work well. If you don't want to obtain this from a MacOS machine, the repository https://github.com/phracker/MacOSX-SDKs/releases might work.

mingw-w64 for Windows. I use the version supplied by the AUR in Arch Linux.

Linux might actually be the hardest to build for on Linux, because other people might use an older version of glibc and stdlibc++ than you're compiling for.
VCV Rack, the Eurorack simulator

quikquak wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:08 am
Urs wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:49 am The only nuissance about AAX is PACE. Currently about 2 out of 3 builds on our build servers fail because of wraptool errors. It's obviously not made for continuous integration, they probably had companies in mind which build their stuff maybe once a week and not a few hundred times a day.
Isn't the whole point of continuous integration that you build the whole final "release" distribution continuously?

vortico wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:37 am osxcross for Mac. The MacOS SDK 10.11 seems to work well. If you don't want to obtain this from a MacOS machine, the repository https://github.com/phracker/MacOSX-SDKs/releases might work.

mingw-w64 for Windows. I use the version supplied by the AUR in Arch Linux.

Linux might actually be the hardest to build for on Linux, because other people might use an older version of glibc and stdlibc++ than you're compiling for.
Thanks! Will need to look into that...

mystran wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:39 am
quikquak wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:08 am
Isn't the whole point of continuous integration that you build the whole final "release" distribution continuously?
Yes, we always do all of it, including signed installers, signed zips (or whatever one needs these days), the whole lot.

It's not that hard when using a proper framework like JUCE, iPlug, in-house made, etc. But still there a some proprietary formats like AAX which are a pain to support.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”