Any "best" host(s) for testing plugins?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Open the page 'VST 3 Workflow Diagrams ' in the latest VST3 SDK. Is that strict and well defined? or does it leave you with the sense, "OK, where is the rest of this document?"
~stratum~

:hihi: Perhaps they don’t understand how it works either! :ud:

Logic is probably the pickiest of hosts on mac at least then there is a bunch unordered in the second place, cubase, FL Studio, Reaper.

I normally develop with Ableton so I'm not really sure if I'm fixing bugs specific to Live or generic ones when I hit them there.
David Guda gudaaudio.com

With VST3 and FL Studio the GUI is called before the restore state is called. Which doesn't help with things like saving the plug-in's current size. At least in Juce anyhow.

stratum wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:35 am Open the page 'VST 3 Workflow Diagrams ' in the latest VST3 SDK. Is that strict and well defined? or does it leave you with the sense, "OK, where is the rest of this document?"
Oh, I agree! There are a lot of things not well explained. Seems most developers make it work by stumbling their way through it - at least that’s been my approach so far. 😫

So, what format plugins do you develop and what host(s) do you use to test them?

quikquak wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:43 am :hihi: Perhaps they don’t understand how it works either! :ud:
I’ve often wondered that myself!

Fender19 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:33 pm So, what format plugins do you develop and what host(s) do you use to test them?
None. I couldn't find/have enough time / experience / knowledge for a competitive product in this field. I don't believe it can be done alone, especially nowadays.
~stratum~

Fender19 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:59 pm Every DAW has it's own issues, but are there any particular DAW(s) that make a good "acid test" for plugins? In other words, if your plugin works properly in THAT host it will likely work most everywhere else.

I'm hoping to make my test and debugging efforts more efficient by narrowing down to a few "known-good" test DAWs. Any input appreciated!
There is a very strong "interaction effect," so the answer to your question strongly depends upon the specific plugin.

Based on my experience, another problem is that any given host may give you a false positive for a bug or an unexpected result. So even if there was a host that worked for many of your plugins, you will some day be quite surprised.

Regards,
Dave Clark

DaveClark wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:50 pm
Fender19 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:59 pm Every DAW has it's own issues, but are there any particular DAW(s) that make a good "acid test" for plugins? In other words, if your plugin works properly in THAT host it will likely work most everywhere else.

I'm hoping to make my test and debugging efforts more efficient by narrowing down to a few "known-good" test DAWs. Any input appreciated!
There is a very strong "interaction effect," so the answer to your question strongly depends upon the specific plugin.

Based on my experience, another problem is that any given host may give you a false positive for a bug or an unexpected result. So even if there was a host that worked for many of your plugins, you will some day be quite surprised.

Regards,
Dave Clark
Understand. It is not possible to test in every version of every DAW on every platform - so you have to pick SOMETHING for testing. My question here is what host(s) have you found most reliable overall?

None.

DaveClark wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:03 pmNone.
Do you just put your plugin out there and wait for the bug complaints to start rolling in? You must test them SOMEWHERE to get you MOST of the way there, yes?

You have to test plugin in as many DAWs as possible. Single DAW is not enough anyway. Even if there were such, others still have specifics that can get in your way. Beta testers may help here. If you need to pick one, pick the one you are the most comfortable with.
Last edited by Vokbuz on Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vokbuz wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:15 pm You have to test plugin in as many DAWs as possible. Single DAW is not enough anyway. Even if there was such, others still have specifics that can get in your way. Beta testers may help here. If you need to pick one, pick the one you are the most comfortable with.
Yes, that is true.

Now the next question is how do you afford to buy all these different DAWs to do your testing? Having beta testers only partly helps because once they report a problem you still need THAT DAW to troubleshoot and fix the problem.

How are you going about this?

Some companies are willing to give you NFR licenses for free, some'll give you a big developer discount for a NFR and some will not give you anything. Either buy them by yourself then or use the demo versions.

Btw I use FL for debugging because it's loading fast as hell. Also Ableton because it's one of the problematic ones and Cubase because they do some pretty f*cked up things too. On Mac it's definitely Logic. For long time tests we use Bitwig because it's available for PC, Mac & Linux systems and we have some unified component then.

BlueprintInc wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:03 pm Some companies are willing to give you NFR licenses for free, some'll give you a big developer discount for a NFR and some will not give you anything. Either buy them by yourself then or use the demo versions.

Btw I use FL for debugging because it's loading fast as hell. Also Ableton because it's one of the problematic ones and Cubase because they do some pretty f*cked up things too. On Mac it's definitely Logic. For long time tests we use Bitwig because it's available for PC, Mac & Linux systems and we have some unified component then.
Excellent info. Thank you!

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”