macOS SDK version for M1

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

To build native Silicon Apps you need at least XCode 12.
To run XCode 12 you need Catalina or higher.

A nice solution would be to Install XCode 12 on 10.14. But I don't think this works by default. However I made a certain version of XCode work on an 'unsupported' MacOS version in the past without problems. You just had to fool the installer and make it think that it was running on a different MacOS. For me this is another proof for the planned obsolescence of Apple.

Haven't tried so far, but this could be a possible solution for build machines and Apple's certificate mess:

1) Install MacOS 10.14

2) Make XCode 12 run with this type of trick:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/555 ... ra-10-13-6
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/610 ... ve-10-14-6

3) Build plugin with on the 10.14 machine with XCode 12

4) Sign ond notarize with the 10.14 machine

We are using 10.15

I am little scared to update 10.14 to 10.15. Catalina does not longer allow to create directories in root of your harddisc - even with admin rights. As a result many of my scripts could break. On 11.0 I had to edit an OS file to be able to build a symlink in root.
Apple does not longer allow you full access to your own computer. They also break things with every OS update :x

I've just upgraded from Mojave to Catalina. No issues here. And I confirm, productsign and codesign are applying both sha1 and sha256. So, at least for now, I'm good :)
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

Markus Krause wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:48 amI am little scared to update 10.14 to 10.15. Catalina does not longer allow to create directories in root of your harddisc - even with admin rights. As a result many of my scripts could break. On 11.0 I had to edit an OS file to be able to build a symlink in root.
Have you found the synthetic.conf technique doesn't work for you? Described in detail here. Or was this what you're referring to? Is it not sufficient?

Building M1 compatible plug-ins in XCode 12 on Catalina feels a reasonable way to go and will probably be a viable development platform for many years to come.

I had to use the synthetic.conf workaround for migrating my projects to MacOS 11.0. But it's tricky to make it work. It is very picky about 'tabs' and 'spaces' and I wasted lots of time to find out why it didn't work. It did also not work when i used Apple's own text editor to edit the file. There seems to be a problem with the charsets.
As long as you secceeded to make it work, synthetic.conf does seem to work pretty well - all other options like completely switching off security are a no-go.

Ugh. Don't use Text Edit for, well, anything. It will change your encoding for you to something useless. :D

Use the free version of BBEdit or use Xcode itself. On both, you can change the encoding, the type of new line, etc. They will also convert tabs-> spaces and vice versa. The Terminal also lets you access Nano, if that's the way you roll.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Wait, there are editors other than vi and emacs?

Markus Krause wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:48 am I am little scared to update 10.14 to 10.15. Catalina does not longer allow to create directories in root of your harddisc - even with admin rights. As a result many of my scripts could break. On 11.0 I had to edit an OS file to be able to build a symlink in root.
Apple does not longer allow you full access to your own computer. They also break things with every OS update :x
We did but it's a virtual machine, a bit like what happens in videogames: if something goes wrong you can restart from the checkpoint.

On Catalina all compilers work fine, including the old xcode 10.3 that is still useful to compile some things that are handled badly by xcode 12
Everything works, even the root mode (which has many problems in big Sur)
Then of course we use big Sur to test products and compile benchmarks etc.

mystran wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:53 pm Wait, there are editors other than vi and emacs?
I always forget about vi. But, yes, there are indeed other editors out there and if they are not painful enough to use, they usually have a little vi/emacs file to load in to alter all the key combos to a far more seizure-inducing setting. :hihi:
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:39 pm
mystran wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:53 pm Wait, there are editors other than vi and emacs?
I always forget about vi. But, yes, there are indeed other editors out there and if they are not painful enough to use, they usually have a little vi/emacs file to load in to alter all the key combos to a far more seizure-inducing setting. :hihi:
There are no "key combos" in vi. All the commands are simple characters. While it's very different, it actually has very good ergonomics. It's also part of POSIX so you can pretty much count on it being available everywhere. This is actually still a thing in some cases, because there are plenty of Linux-based devices with very minimal shell environment, where usually the only editor available is the vi-clone built into Busybox or similar. This is why "terminal people" should really know at least the basics.

Not having key combinations is also a really nice feature if you ever need to hack a quick config-file over something like a slow mobile SSH link using the on-screen keyboard of your smart phone. Yes, I have personal experience.

ps. I don't use vi for daily editing anymore, but the only big problem with vi is really the learning curve and the "vi modes" in other editors are usually quite poor, because the overall design is so different that you need a lot more than just shortcut replacements to really emulate the editing paradigm and workflow.

Oh, I know. I tried learning VIM and was well on my way until I discovered that the regex had at least 3 different forms, depending on state. :x wth?!? So much for scripting... :roll: I can still do the basics of editing if I have to, although I don't remember how to save out. :lol:

I only said key combos because of emacs and its reliance upon the meta key. That's why I don't use pico/nano, either, if I can help it.

Is there something simple like the 'Editor' in Windows? It just needs to be able to edit config files properly.
It's a shame that the Mac OS does not come with something essential like this.

Hello Markus, I'm using TextMate for simple text editing in macOS https://macromates.com but usually TextEdit works fine most of the time for me.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”