DSP563xx Emulator (Access Virus, Nord Lead, Waldorf MW...)

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

numerouno wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:14 pm Perfect would be to have a service manual / schematics.
This resource seems to be a good starting point (all service manuals / schematics) :

https://www.synthxl.com/manufacturers/
bruno @ Xhun Audio || www.xhun-audio.com || Twitter || Instagram

xhunaudio wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:49 am
numerouno wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:14 pm Perfect would be to have a service manual / schematics.
This resource seems to be a good starting point (all service manuals / schematics) :

https://www.synthxl.com/manufacturers/
No Access, no Waldorf, no Clavia, no Novation...
Why is it a good starting point?
It has Korg MS 2000 and stop counting

plrdmus wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:00 pm No Access, no Waldorf, no Clavia, no Novation...
Why is it a good starting point?
It has Korg MS 2000 and stop counting
:x ...

...:shrug:

My sincere apologies, Sir.
Last edited by xhunaudio on Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
bruno @ Xhun Audio || www.xhun-audio.com || Twitter || Instagram

will there be a diff. dll for each ROM?

(assuming switching gui is not an option)

Could go either way, but it's probably more logical to have one plugin per synth, for organizational purposes in the DAW.

Entertaining, if you got stuck with the old Waldorf DSP stuff just ask.

I'm wondering about sharing/saving sounds....

as the ROMs cannot legally (?) be included, i assume if you load a preset, it asks for the relevant ROM?

You would first need to load the ROM, then a preset. Or rather, the plugin won't even do anything unless ROM is supplied.

yeah, that sounds logical.... but if you load a song.... does the synth save the ROM and the preset from the last session?

AnX wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:47 pm yeah, that sounds logical.... but if you load a song.... does the synth save the ROM and the preset from the last session?
Probably! that would be no different than loading any old session and repopulating with the same sounds. But I do agree that it's impossible to point the Emulator toward a specific preset without loading the proper ROM first. The video game emulator/rom analog holds true as always

Yeah path to ROM would be stored in plugin's data chunk. Probably cannot store the whole ROM as part of DAW project, since that might end up being redistributed (i.e. sending a project to somebody) and that's illegal.

Another option is storing the path to ROM in registry/plist. That's less portable but safer in the long run (plus it's easier to tweak the path to the ROM in registry/plist if it's moved, rather than updating a bajillion DAW projects one by one to update the path)...

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:19 pm Yeah path to ROM would be stored in plugin's data chunk. Probably cannot store the whole ROM as part of DAW project, since that might end up being redistributed (i.e. sending a project to somebody).

Another option is storing the path to ROM in registry/plist. That's less portable but safer in the long run (plus it's easier to tweak the path to the ROM in registry/plist if it's moved, rather than updating a bajillion DAW projects one by one to update the path)...
One option would be to store a hash of the ROM into the preset. That would let you reliably check that you have the correct ROM available without having to store the ROM itself into the preset.

I guess if it's a separate. dll for each synth/ROM, when you load the synth, it would ask you to load the relevant ROM.... or if its a legacy load, it will automatically load it from previous state? dunno, seems easy but could be complicated..... depends on implementation

mystran wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:47 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:19 pm Yeah path to ROM would be stored in plugin's data chunk. Probably cannot store the whole ROM as part of DAW project, since that might end up being redistributed (i.e. sending a project to somebody).

One option would be to store a hash of the ROM into the preset. That would let you reliably check that you have the correct ROM available without having to store the ROM itself into the preset.
Indeed, that's a very good idea, run an MD5 checksum on it, store the result in plugin extra state chunk, verify on load.

Any update on how this project is doing? :)

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”