DSP563xx Emulator (Access Virus, Nord Lead, Waldorf MW...)

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Mystery Islands editor runs as a VSTi in a DAW. However, in the case here on Win 10 and Cubase 11 it gets blacklisted and wont un-blacklist. The only way to get it working at all was to use JBridge, and even then it loads only when it feels like it and frequently crashes.

In terms of operation, the knobs work sending out controllers which VirusEmuVST2x64.dll responds to, but I couldn't find a way of refreshing every parameter of a loaded preset to the VSTi. For this reason I've not been able to test this to any degree, but one thing I noticed was that the phaser doesn't work.

Correction - If you start with a patch that uses the phaser then VirusHC can control it - if not you need to toggle the padlock thing to switch it on in the first place.
Last edited by cleverr1 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

"phaser doesn't work" confirm.

numerouno wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:00 pm
Shiek927 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:56 pm
numerouno wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:59 pm Our blog is now live, on the blog page you can see the Emulator in action using the Virus C ROM paired with the VirusHC by Mystery Islands for testing purposes. We have a few more bugs to iron out as you may be able to hear

https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/
Super exciting!! thank you very much!!

I'm guessing the synths with an "X" next to them, like the Korg MS2000 or Novation Supernova series, don't have a ROM yet? I'm wondering if there's any way to help with that. I don't own my Novation Nova anymore, but I'm wondering if there's any way to export it from the hardware?

One important question is the pricing of the plugin. Will the emulator be shared for free or will it be sold? given how excited I am, I wouldn't mind supporting the developers even if only a few synths are able to be re-created. A donation link wouldn't be a bad idea :)
hmm...in wonder if we could have the best of both worlds by introducing a (strictly optional!) "draft" or "eco" mode that does more macro modeling. yes, i know - that would dilute the concept, but might be a pragmatic thing to do and as long as it's optional, doesn't hurt
I remember thinking of a similar idea. This is what u-he Diva has in order to manage it's huge CPU intensity. It's not a bad idea if it turns out the Emulator needs a lot of juice to work, but I think it would be better for them to try and see how efficient they can go rather than assume it's necessary. For all we know, it might be CPU friendly enough that there's no need for it. Right now, the speed is improving with how much they're working on it, so let's see how far it can go first :)
Thanks for the offer but it seems we have located the missing ROMs now :)

The Emulator will be free and Open-Source :)
....and it will be available for Linux as well, right? :-)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

numerouno wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:04 am
AnX wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:19 am I thought you had a gui?
For the Virus C yes, now we need to adapt it to the Virus B and also build the framework for the GUI itself from the ground up
When you do the GUI framework, please also consider scaling for those of us with HiDPI screens! I'm using a 4k touchscreen laptop (with Linux), and I'd love to play with this! :-)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:55 pm Users can download whatever in the peace of their home, for their own use. Redistribution of the ROM is illegal, though (i.e. bundling the emulator with the ROM).
This is true but we have another problem here ... "Synthesizer ROM Archive ... This too is a "redistribution" and I bet most of those ROMs are uploaded there without the permission of the author/creator/manufacturer.

The correct procedure for Access Virus, Waldorf mQ/Q and similar would be to download the appropriate OS system exclusive file directly from the manufacturer's website and load it into the emulator who will then unpack/decode it to get the ROM/Flash content.

HrastProgrammer wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:12 am The correct procedure for Access Virus, Waldorf mQ/Q and similar would be to download the appropriate OS system exclusive file directly from the manufacturer's website and load it into the emulator who will then unpack/decode it to get the ROM/Flash content.
I wonder if a tool to convert MIDI SysEx 'chunks' ROM to a bin file already exists?
Also it'll be different per manufacturer of course.

ttg wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:39 am I wonder if a tool to convert MIDI SysEx 'chunks' ROM to a bin file already exists?
Also it'll be different per manufacturer of course.
Yes. I developed the decoder for Waldorf Q, Micro Q, MicroWave II/XT and Rack Attack OS/BOOT/BIN files long time ago. I can share the algorithm with the developers of the emulator if they ask, no problem.

I don't have it for Virus, though.

HrastProgrammer wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:12 am
EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:55 pm Users can download whatever in the peace of their home, for their own use. Redistribution of the ROM is illegal, though (i.e. bundling the emulator with the ROM).
This is true but we have another problem here ... "Synthesizer ROM Archive ... This too is a "redistribution" and I bet most of those ROMs are uploaded there without the permission of the author/creator/manufacturer.

The correct procedure for Access Virus, Waldorf mQ/Q and similar would be to download the appropriate OS system exclusive file directly from the manufacturer's website and load it into the emulator who will then unpack/decode it to get the ROM/Flash content.
I guess that it might be a concern if a site that was there for helping people that wants to repair its own hardware gets litigation because now it starts drawing the hardware manufacturers attention.

Congratulations, works amazingly well and the CPU consumption is less than I would have expected!
When playing chords, I can sometimes hear crackling although the CPU load in the task manager is not very high. But basically it works
I have tested it with VSTHost and the VirusHC, but in the DAW it should also work.
With the ROM... I know this from my Virus XL, that you load OS updates or the whole OS via a sysex file into the hardware. Some kind of sysex loader would surely be very helpful?

Tested.
Midi timing is not perfect.

Honestly I thought this project wouldn't get past the planning stages or it would take several years to get past technical hurdles/lack of documentation on proprietary features of the chips. Console game emulators with their teams of volunteers typically take years before they are stable enough to run games. The pace of development on this has just been incredible.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Would it be possible to configure the emu to work with both Virus B and Virus C versions running simultaneously? I tried creating two folders with renamed versions of DSP56300Emu.dll, one containing the Virus C ROM and the other the Virus B ROM. It works in as far as Cubase sees 2 VSTIs, but no matter how many instances I tried loading they all had affinity for the same CPU core.

I'll be repetitive :) , but this project has a great potential and it is amazingly interesting from the technology viewpoint.

I'm also very happy this development is proceeding fine - I hope the developers will go ahead on this path without being "discouraged" for the bunch of silly (and provocatory) comments I just read in the "instruments" section thread.
bruno @ Xhun Audio || www.xhun-audio.com || Twitter || Instagram

What's the latest news on the emulator? It's been just over 3 months since the last update.

BCM25 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:47 am What's the latest news on the emulator? It's been just over 3 months since the last update.
You can enter to the discord channel and download the latest builds.
The beta is open for public.

Just go to pinned messages and download from there.

There is new temporally GUI and import midi/syx files.
And bug fixes.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”