Lets see some studio pics

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So what is it? i.e. Monosynth with a single channel sequencer or is it polyphonic and multi-timbral like Elektron's Analog Four? The Dreadbox site seems to assume you will already know. Looking at the video, it seems impressively small. I don't have time to watch a 20 minute video right now but I'm wondering how well it would fit into an existing set-up.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Its a 6 oscillator (3 analog, 3 digital wavetable) paraphonic synth with 5 Envelopes , 5 LFOs , 3 filter types and a builtin sequencer with 32 pressure sensitive pads (all x/y capable). It can generate grey, brown or violet noise, is mono-timbral & can work in mono, 3 note paraphonic or 6 note paraphonic. Every parameter change can be sequenced per pad. In theory every note in a sequence can be a different voice or variation of any voice. Sizewise, its like one and a half keysteps. Same width but deeper (similar to a microbrute). It has parameter locks like the Elektron stuff.
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

BONES wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:01 pm
AnX wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:20 amThe point was the Behringer clone sounds closer/more accurate.
And my point was that you are full of sh!t because you can't possibly know that. We are talking about an instrument that you can't buy and that you may never be able to buy if talk of the law suits Behringer is facing are true (and include Roland). Moreover, it's a claim that would be impossible to prove because you can't read parameter values on an SH 101 so you will never get sliders in precisely the same positions to know if they sound precisely the same.
its a component level clone, so its safe to say its more accurate than a digital emu. (i also know someone who has tried one)
I can easily get the sliders in same postion.

end of discussion.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:22 pm Shiny, shiny ...

Nice one Davey lad.. we'll have to get together again soon it's been 6yrs.. let's jam in the new year :party: :tu:
Still waiting for the Waldorf Quantum and STVC to arrive, shouldn't be long now.

AnX wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:56 am its a component level clone, so its safe to say its more accurate than a digital emu. (i also know someone who has tried one)
I can easily get the sliders in same postion.
Your friend told you that, did he? He obviously has an intimate knowledge of your motor skills to be able to make that call, right? More likely it's that the range of values available is so limited that you probably don't need to be terribly accurate but with something like Uno or MicroMonsta, the difference between 49/128 and 50/128 can definitely be enough to make the sound audibly different.

That was the biggest frustration with the JP 08 - the sliders were so small it was impossible to make subtle changes to anything.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

rob_lee wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:27 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:22 pm Shiny, shiny ...

Nice one Davey lad.. we'll have to get together again soon it's been 6yrs.. let's jam in the new year :party: :tu:
Still waiting for the Waldorf Quantum and STVC to arrive, shouldn't be long now.
Cheers Rob. I think its been more like 8 years :scared: ... Would be cool to meet up for a jam sometime. I'm a bit more mobile these days. :)

My Studio-2-Go -

no computer?

It has it's own laptop bag. Actually, I have at least half-a-dozen laptop bags. That said, I was thinking last night that if I took the packing out from underneath these, they'd all sit low enough that nothing protrudes above the foam, so I could sit the laptop on top and the lid will definitely still close. There would even be space under the Uno for all the requisite cabling. If I place the laptop upside-down, the fabric covered keyboard/cover will stop anything from getting scratched (it's a convertible, not an actual laptop).

The foam case the Seaboard Rise comes in fits comfortably in my big suitcase so I could conceivably tour with just this rig, although the Zoom doesn't have enough inputs, so I'd possibly have to run the MicroMonsta in mono or run one channel through the Uno. But this is more for taking over to my bandmate's place so I can plug into his mixer and show him how much better Uno sounds than his stupid Subsequent 37. I have another case with twice as much space as this one for a touring rig (but it's still just a few mm too small to accommodate the Rise 25 so it would have to go into my suitcase).

Finally got the other desk sorted however due to the size of the Quantum I have to renovate this room to fit in other gear, My Roland SE02 isn't here yet but this lot will do for now. Moved the SH01a for now till Boutique stands come. See bottom pics.

Rob

That rack looks very premium, better than any I've seen on eBay.

BONES wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:01 pm That rack looks very premium, better than any I've seen on eBay.
Here you go BONES link here:

https://www.thediscdjstore.com/fonik.html

Expensive but well worth it IMO

Rob

Had to cut down my studio to the essentials. I am still getting into probability based sequencing and Karma tech but my set up was too complex and redundant for this purpose. Thus, I have laid some otherwise great sounding synths to rest to minimize my set up. Korg Karma is replaced with the Korg M3 Expanded module. Korg minilogue, Deepmind 6, Toraiz AS-1, and JD-Xi are stashed along with Alesis sample pad and my small mixer. What is left are the most important tools; Analog Keys (prob seq), Digitone (prob seq), BS2 (for bass), Korg M3 (for Karma tech) and Beat Step Pro (for randomization stuff). This is quite a better set up for learning. I can expand later if necessary.

Is that one of those spider-leg stands? They look great but they cost more than a Minilogue here, which is impossible to justify when you can get an Ultimate rip-off for $100 on eBay. I'd never looked at the M3 before, I'd probably assumed it was some old thing like the M3R but, doing it a bit of research, it seems kinda cool and the fact that it has held it's value pretty well indicates it's probably not bad at all.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:13 am Its a 6 oscillator (3 analog, 3 digital wavetable) paraphonic synth with 5 Envelopes , 5 LFOs , 3 filter types and a builtin sequencer with 32 pressure sensitive pads (all x/y capable). It can generate grey, brown or violet noise, is mono-timbral & can work in mono, 3 note paraphonic or 6 note paraphonic. Every parameter change can be sequenced per pad. In theory every note in a sequence can be a different voice or variation of any voice. Sizewise, its like one and a half keysteps. Same width but deeper (similar to a microbrute). It has parameter locks like the Elektron stuff.
I’ve had mine for a while now, and I have to admit that I’m not really loving the sound. It sounds thin and harsh to my ears. The filter resonance approaching self-oscillation is... abrupt. The pads are desperately crying out for user-definable pressure curves to make them useful. It’s very buggy.

Before it was released, a lot of people were saying it didn’t have the much-loved Dreadbox sound. Polyend kept assuring everyone that it was probably their sound design preferences and the fact that it was prerelease, but the release unit would sound great. I’m not convinced.

That being said, Medusa has enough interesting tricks and can steer me into unexpected territory enough that I’m going to keep it. Well, that and the fact that I emailed Detroit Modular a month ago to tell them that I wanted to return it before the end of the refund period, and they simply ignored me and never responded.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”