Where do you sell your music?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
zerocrossing
KVRAF
9300 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:49 pm

Normally music is either a hobby, or something I do for a client or employer. However, I wrote a children’s book and I set it to music. Mostly as a soundtrack to a video that I intend to use as a promo piece, but I thought I’d also sell the track for those who don’t want the book. I guess I’ll also put it on YouTube and try to see if it generates some ad revenue. I’ve had some initial success with the book, so why not, eh?

Tips? This isn’t something that big music fans will want. Think parents buying it for their kids. I imagine that having to register at a site to get it would be a bridge too far for most. It probably should be ubiquitous like iTunes or Spotify.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

ATS
KVRAF
5837 posts since 21 Dec, 2002 from MD USA

Re: Where do you sell your music?

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:09 pm

bandcamp might work for you.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls ~ Pablo Picasso

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
23024 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:23 pm

I use Bandcamp too. There are lots of online companies will register your stuff on iTunes, Spotify, etc if that's preferable. Cant think of any names atm ...

[edit] a friend of mine uses a distribution company called The Orchard.
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zerocrossing
KVRAF
9300 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:59 pm

Thanks.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Russell Grand
KVRian
1320 posts since 22 May, 2017

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:01 pm

Through my record label (who mostly sells through iTunes and Amazon) and before that Bandcamp.

AsPeeXXXVIII
KVRist
326 posts since 17 Aug, 2015 from Finland

Post Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:12 am

I'll third Bandcamp. I have nothing but good things to say about the service.

Also, adding to thecontrolcentre's reply, DistroKid is a seemingly popular and acclaimed distribution service. Doesn't cost much either - it's only $20 a year. Haven't used it myself, though, but I've heard good things about it.
"Creativity is a lot like sex. When it's spontaneous, it's good, but forcing it makes it bad."
My metal music | My electronic music

Aloysius
KVRAF
22099 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from a computer

Post Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:25 am

This is only a user experience but I think it's relevant. After reading an interesting article, I did a Google search for EBM Music. Found a Band I really like via YouTube. Listened to a few Tunes. Went to their linked Bandcamp page and purchased a download. I'm not in the habit of purchasing music on-line but found this experience to be very good. For five euro (PayPal or CC), I was provided with various download formats. Eight in all. Formats suitable for all my devices and some I didn't need. While I was at the Band page I joined their Facebook group as well.
I didn't get where I am today ...

meldavid
KVRist
230 posts since 5 Jul, 2002 from Sydney

Post Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:48 am

Some of the artists I follow have a Patreon page where you can pledge a certain amount per month and certain tiers allow you access to media files. Patreon takes 10%. I haven't actually Patreoned anyone yet, I tend to purchase off iTunes or cdbaby. Mainly iTunes for the convenience factor--all my devices will automatically download my latest purchases. I don't bother with streaming sites like Spotify since it's probably available on YouTube anyway.

anomandaris1
KVRist
258 posts since 26 Nov, 2009

Post Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:59 am

There are various "music libraries" that will probably generate more money than something like bandcamp, if your music is good and you don't have big names to promote you.

Tj Shredder
KVRian
1271 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:11 pm

If you feed Djs, Beatport?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”