so maybe NAMM isn't so benevolent after all...

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1236211 ... od=testMod
The Federal Trade Commission and musical-instrument industry settled a case in which instrument retailers and manufacturers were accused of illegally sharing pricing and competitive tactics to discourage discounting.

Antitrust enforcers said the 9,000-member National Association of Music Merchants was a forum for the illegal discussions, which included talk of policies where manufacturers coerced retailers to charge customers a minimum advertised price.

In its investigation, the FTC found that between 2005 and 2007 NAMM organized various meetings for retailers to compare notes on restricting competition and securing higher retail prices. Similar discussions were held among manufacturers, said William Lanning, the lead attorney in the case.

what else is new? :shrug: same shit, different companies
'The science of rich men does not elevate all mankind, but only themselves.'
sound cloud

Ah, the invisible hand of the market. It's best not to make it visible, as it's invariably flipping us the bird.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

pough wrote:Ah, the invisible hand of the market. It's best not to make it visible, as it's invariably flipping us the bird.
LOL! :tu:
Cap'n Spanky
From the Planet Screwball

pough wrote:Ah, the invisible hand of the market. It's best not to make it visible, as it's invariably flipping us the bird.
From having been apart of the NAMM show for the past 4 years----- this news is far from shocking. Talk about a racket......... :shock:

or how about NAMM's pricy headquarter's in Carlsbad, CA :x

:lol:

i haven't noticed an increase in the cost of freeware
"Most people who experiment with drugs are not lying in the streets, suffocating on their own vomit. If you want to see some of that, go to the Pub on Saturday night at closing time." ozwest

dan_s wrote:what else is new? :shrug: same shit, different companies
agreed.

This type of thing has been going on since the dawn of man. I remember all the "only sell at this price" products we had at places I worked. Guess who was one of the worst........

starts with an a............it's a fruit.........though it's evil and basically ruined mankind (way way back) :hihi:

got a phone-call from fedex once, where the service-lady asked me, whether i wanted to receive a package or not. The duane-fees were a lot higher than before and i said "another rip-off". She said "we have a free market; you can choose the company, you wanna have the goods shipped with and we can choose the company, that does the duane." I broke out in laughter, because the comany, from which i ordered, used exclusively fedex and fedex had a deal just with one duane-company.
"Free market"? What the f**k is this? There is no free market. :lol:
"It dreamed itself along"

Sorry, this may be a little OT, but the FTC can go f@#k themselves.
edited for the hell of it.
Last edited by Jazzyspoon on Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

is something for nothing really a dumb thing?
making swans out of uggerly ducklings

what do we want RESPECT
when do we want it RIGHT NOW

you are all soldiers in this, and if you don't know who's side you're on, you're
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Jazzyspoon wrote:Sorry, this may be a little OT, but the FTC can go f@#k themselves. My tax money is being wasted on that institution. They chase ghosts and small beans like this and let the real corporate monsters slip by unnoticed. What a waste of resources.
There, I feel better having said that.
don't you dare trivialise the sociopolitical factor of music.

these are the real corporate monsters.

expression is information is power.

equal representation requires EQUAL voices, not "piss voices for piddle people and giant golden voices for rich people."

where does that lead? a huge underclass of people/ideas/cultural values who are outshone in apparent expression, that's "positively negative."
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

I will ask this once, because I can no longer resist the temptation:

There is such a huge cynicism about free markets or "So called 'free' markets" around here that I wonder if anyone thinks that kvr (you know, this place where we do all of this talking about how much free markets suck and whatnot) would be better if it were run by some sort of state or international monopoly.

Since 1999, a completely free global market, using sites maintained exclusively by private, commercial businesses, has resulted in over 700 free vst instruments, over 800 free vst effects, and 70 free host applications.

Does anyone really think that any number of government mandated programs could have done better?

Jazzyspoon wrote:Sorry, this may be a little OT, but the FTC can go f@#k themselves. My tax money is being wasted on that institution. They chase ghosts and small beans like this and let the real corporate monsters slip by unnoticed. What a waste of resources.
There, I feel better having said that.
Just like regular cops go around handing out traffic violations and busting small time drug users instead of going after the real criminals. Yet, I don't think our tax money is wasted on the police. The institution needs a drastic overhaul, but I wouldn't want to see it disappear. I agree with your sentiment though.
"The Juno 60 was often incorrectly referred to as a synth. It is, in fact, a chorus unit with a synth attached." -PAK

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”