ilok licenses on a dead hard drive?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hans25 wrote: My point is that if you think you are safe with the i-lok key then you are wrong. And where you can make a backup of a hard drive on another hard drive and thereby have your data safe you cannot do that with the I-lok. And that's a rather big disadvantage.
Nope, you can't make a backup of an iLok license that's stored on a hard drive & then restore it on another in case of failure. The license is connected to / dependent on the hard disk hardware it's stored on.

T-CM11 wrote:Nope, you can't make a backup of an iLok license that's stored on a hard drive & then restore it on another in case of failure. The license is connected to / dependent on the hard disk hardware it's stored on.
I have never said that you can make a backup of the I-lok soft license on another hard drive. I referred to the argument that having the licenses on the I-lok hardware key makes you home safe. It doesn't. And while I have had an I-lok crash in two month I have only one time had a hard drive failure long time ago. That's not the same as saying that hard drives doesn't crash.

But in general (I'm not talking about the I-lok soft license) you can backup one hard drive with another and vice versa. I never said anything about backing up the soft I-lok license on another hard drive. I'm just opposing to the argument that having the licenses on the I-lok usb-key is much safer than having it on a hard drive. The I-lok usb key can crash as well as a hard drive.

Hans25 wrote:But in general (I'm not talking about the I-lok soft license) you can backup one hard drive with another and vice versa. I never said anything about backing up the soft I-lok license on another hard drive. I'm just opposing to the argument that having the licenses on the I-lok usb-key is much safer than having it on a hard drive. The I-lok usb key can crash as well as a hard drive.
The difference is that you can get them back in another iLOK (you have to send the broken iLOK to Pace, but they will deposit new licenses in your account as soon as they examine the broken key. Then you have yor licenses back).

You can't do that with a hard-drive, AFAIK. And if you mirror the hard-drive, the licenses will not work in the mirrored one, so, you are doomed anyway.

So, yes, as painful as it is to deal with broken keys and Pace (been there, done that), it is much safer than store the licenses in the hard-drive (been there, done that, as well)
Fernando (FMR)

Hans25 wrote:But in general (I'm not talking about the I-lok soft license) you can backup one hard drive with another and vice versa.I never said anything about backing up the soft I-lok license on another hard drive.
So in other words, the ability to back up one hard drive is completely irrelevant to the license security and your mentioning of it merely muddies the waters. Not helpful.
I'm just opposing to the argument that having the licenses on the I-lok usb-key is much safer than having it on a hard drive.
Yes, we get that. But like I said, your hard drive experiences are atypical, as is your iLok experience. Whatyou've effectively done is refuted your own strawman ('hard drives fail, iloks never fail') with an extrapolation from just your own experience on a basis which is fallacious ('my hard drives fail less often than iLoks therefore iLoks are not safer').
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Have you contacted ilok. Surely they will have access to your licenses, blacklist and confirm so vendors can reissue? Just a thought. Never been in the situation. Keep us posted on how you get on.goodluck.

whyterabbyt wrote:So in other words, the ability to back up one hard drive is completely irrelevant to the license security and your mentioning of it merely muddies the waters. Not helpful.
For backing up serials, passwords etc. this is not irrelevant and therefore not irrelevant to this discussion as I see it. Because the I-lok usb key is presented like The Holy Grale and it's not just because it's on a hardware usb-stick. And I use the hard drive cases as an example of that.

Whatever licenses you have on a dead hard drive are a problem. But in the case of none-ilok ones you can back most of them up on another hard drive. But in the case of the I-lok usb-key it doesn't make it riskless to have the licenses on it.
I'm just opposing to the argument that having the licenses on the I-lok usb-key is much safer than having it on a hard drive.
whyterabbyt wrote: Yes, we get that.

Fantastic!
But like I said, your hard drive experiences are atypical, as is your iLok experience. What you've effectively done is refuted your own strawman ('hard drives fail, iloks never fail') with an extrapolation from just your own experience on a basis which is fallacious ('my hard drives fail less often than iLoks therefore iLoks are not safer').
"...your own strawman..." "...with an extrapolation..." Jesus Christ - this discussion must really mean a lot to you :-D.

Yes what else should I have done besides using my own experience? This is a discussion forum not a research forum. Have you conducted a scientific study comparing percentage of failures of licenses stored on hard drives vs. I-lok usb-keys? Or is it based on self-importaint nonsense?

fmr wrote:So, yes, as painful as it is to deal with broken keys and Pace (been there, done that), it is much safer than store the licenses in the hard-drive (been there, done that, as well)
If you mean using the software I-lok then yes if they won't hand out new soft i-lok licenses then obviously of two evils the hardway key is the safest one.

Hans25 wrote:For backing up serials, passwords etc. this is not irrelevant and therefore not irrelevant to this discussion as I see it.
what a discussion specifically about PACE licenses on iLok or hard drive? Ummm, yeah, it is.
"...your own strawman..." "...with an extrapolation..." Jesus Christ - this discussion must really mean a lot to you :-D.
Im not the one who resurrected a 4-month old thread to try and derail it 5 times.
Yes what else should I have done besides using my own experience?
Not resurrect a thread just so you can claim that "I'm just opposing to the argument that having the licenses on the I-lok usb-key is much safer than having it on a hard drive." when you have no such evidence, perhaps?
This is a discussion forum not a research forum.
Yet you seem have a problem with people 'discussing' back.
Have you conducted a scientific study comparing percentage of failures of licenses stored on hard drives vs. I-lok usb-keys?
Nope, but then, unlike yourself, Ive not made claims like "I-loks keys are no safe investement." and "My point is that if you think you are safe with the i-lok key then you are wrong" that mandated something slightly more rigorous than only having one data point.
Or is it based on self-importaint nonsense?
Says the guy who resurrected a thread to make specific claims then gets pissy about being challenged on them even slightly... Hmmmm.

whyterabbyt wrote:
Hans25 wrote:For backing up serials, passwords etc. this is not irrelevant and therefore not irrelevant to this discussion as I see it.
what, in a thread specifically about PACE licenses on iLok or hard drive? Ummm, yeah, it is.
Im not the one who resurrected a 4-month old thread to try and derail it 5 times.
Yes what else should I have done besides using my own experience?
Not resurrect a thread just so you can claim that "I'm just opposing to the argument that having the licenses on the I-lok usb-key is much safer than having it on a hard drive." when you have no such evidence, perhaps?
This is a discussion forum not a research forum.
Yet you seem have a problem with people 'discussing' back.
Have you conducted a scientific study comparing percentage of failures of licenses stored on hard drives vs. I-lok usb-keys?
Nope, but then, unlike yourself, Ive not made claims like "I-loks keys are no safe investement." and "My point is that if you think you are safe with the i-lok key then you are wrong" that mandated something slightly more rigorous than only having one data point.
Or is it based on self-importaint nonsense?
Says the guy who resurrected a thread to make specific claims then gets pissy about being challenged on them even slightly... Hmmmm.

whyterabbyt wrote:Im not the one who resurrected a 4-month old thread to try and derail it 5 times.
Ohh I'm sorry. I didn't know you were from the thread-police department. I'm very sorry that I made a post to an old thread. And then also tried to derail it. How dare I :lol:. That explains the need for the sophisticated "extrapolation" argument.
whyterabbyt wrote: Not resurrect a thread just so you can claim that "I'm just opposing to the argument that having the licenses on the I-lok usb-key is much safer than having it on a hard drive." when you have no such evidence, perhaps
Again mr. thread-officer. I'm so very sorry to make a claim when I don't have a scientific evidence for my point of view. Backing up with evidence when discussing at kvr is a must for sure.
whyterabbyt wrote: Yet you seem have a problem with people 'discussing' back.
No I'm actually getting used to your self-important behavoir. Even though it's hard.
whyterabbyt wrote: Nope, but then, unlike yourself, Ive not made claims like...
No you are just being pedantic and a sophist for no other reason than getting attention.

Oops didn't spot it's an old post, well 5 months old. Did op ever resolve their issues....ironic.

MFXxx wrote:Oops didn't spot it's an old post, well 5 months old. Did op ever resolve their issues....ironic.
To get something constructive out of this thread I have contacted the I-lok staff (made a support ticket) to get them to explain what the procedure is (if there is one) if a hard drive crash with I-lok soft licenses. I couldn't find anything in their faq about this. There must be a way to get them back without having to contact 20 different developers or something. You can't sell a license that specifically is made available to be put on a hard drive but impossible to backup when there always will be a risk of hard drive failure. Somehow they should re-issue the licenses.
So now I'm waiting for a response.

Hans25 wrote:
MFXxx wrote:Oops didn't spot it's an old post, well 5 months old. Did op ever resolve their issues....ironic.
To get something constructive out of this thread I have contacted the I-lok staff (made a support ticket) to get them to explain what the procedure is (if there is one) if a hard drive crash with I-lok soft licenses. I couldn't find anything in their faq about this. There must be a way to get them back without having to contact 20 different developers or something. You can't sell a license that specifically is made available to be put on a hard drive but impossible to backup when there always will be a risk of hard drive failure. Somehow they should re-issue the licenses.
So now I'm waiting for a response.
Good to hear and keep us posted.

MFXxx wrote:Good to hear and keep us posted.

I will as soon as I get a reply - thanks 8).

Hans25 wrote:
MFXxx wrote:You can't sell a license that specifically is made available to be put on a hard drive but impossible to backup when there always will be a risk of hard drive failure. Somehow they should re-issue the licenses.
You can de-authorize the hard drive and authorize another in the iLok Manager... or transfer it to a dongle (and back - though I'm not sure about that one). :wink:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”