When Demos disapper

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So recently I have been interested in Realivox Blue.
For those of you who don't know, Realivox Blue is...well, think of Vocaloid, but rather than sythesis based, it's sample based.
I really want to give it a try, but it bothers me quite a bit that there is no demo. I contacted Realitone about this, and while they were really helpful and friendly, I don't know. It's still irksome to be unable to demo the software. They have a lenient refund policy: You don't like it? No questions asked refund. Simple, nice. But, that still is basically blocking the "quote, unquote" demo behind a $150 pay-wall (or, right now it's on sale for $130) and it is REALLY hard to justify dropping that amount of money on a software that I only know what the video demos have shown.

So why do companies do this? I've always seen companies that don't offer demos as either they don't have faith in their customer, their product, or both. While the videos they put up on their content make it sound like Realitone does have faith in their product, it's still rather shady that they would feel like they need to wall off an evaluation period of their software to their customers. Am I wrong for thinking this?

as a sample based product its difficult to offer a demo to play with as without the whole thing you might feel its lacking somewhere
if it has velocity ranges as well as key range for example without hearing how they interact when you play you might pass on it

i do agree for synth based stuff though on the whole
although audio damage dont do demos and offer refunds and ive had no issue throwing cash at them as i know its quality stuff

Well what ever happened to the "unrestricted demo"? A demo doesn't need to be a cut down version. In fact, most of the time whenever someone offers a cut down version of their software as the demo, I'm not interested.
Most demos I use are the "unresitricted for [period of time" - which certainly isn't the best way of doing it, as it kind of makes you feel pressed to make sure you fully dip your feet in the water, and sometimes unforeseen things may come up the impede trying to test it during that period, but, still those kind of occasions are fairly rare, and some - very few - devs realize this and give a very lengthy amount of time, or sometimes or count the time you have your DAW open.
Alternative to that is the U-He method which I found nice, which is just a small spat of noise once in awhile. Now, I should clarify, I know a lot of devs do this or something similar, but it's the way U-He does it that makes it acceptable. A lot of the time I hear devs use either really obnoxious noises, or they cut the playback out altogether. I hate this. Really, really, really hate those demos.
The U-He method doesn't cut out the sound and the sound it plays isn't very distracting.

Again, to me, this just looks like devs not trusting their consumer. They put these demos up like this because they are afraid that their customer is going just download their software, take advantage of it in the 30 days, and then dump it? Well if that's the case, they probably weren't going to be a customer anyways. I'd rather give my potential customers a chance to find out if it's worth spending the money to add a new tool to the box or not. But, maybe I'm a little too new-agey about this kind of stuff.

well again as a sample based product, a full but time restricted demo would still include all the sample data, which could then be stripped and used in any sampler. while you or i might not do such a thing its not unfeasible to expect that some people might or even to share the samples on torrent.
i can kind of understand why a company might be reluctant to put such a demo out there, i can also understand why youre not interested Iin such products, im not trying to change your mind just explain a possible reason for this particular company's decision.

ntom wrote:Well what ever happened to the "unrestricted demo"?
Which full sample libraries ever came as unrestricted demos, then?
Again, to me, this just looks like devs not trusting their consumer.
No, its devs not trusting people who arent their consumers. The money-back guarantee is trusting their consumers.
But, maybe I'm a little too new-agey about this kind of stuff.
Or maybe naive. Or maybe self-entitled. Certainly blinkered.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whyterabbyt wrote:
ntom wrote:Well what ever happened to the "unrestricted demo"?
Which full sample libraries ever came as unrestricted demos, then?
No idea to be honest. It's not something I deal with a lot. More of a plugin-guy/freeware user myself.
Chapelle wrote: Mike from Realitone does excellent walkthrough videos where you can get a pretty good view on what the product has to offer
I'm actually aware of this, and I did watch all their videos on the software. It's just a matter that there are some possible limitations with pronunciation of syllables that could make or break my purchase of the software, so, maybe not all sample libraries need unrestricted demos, but I think this one certain could use a good enough demo to at least allow users to find the limitations of it's singing-ability.

BIAB

Band in a box is the only program I've ever purchased that didn't have a trial / demo.
That being said I've had it since 98 and (almost) always buy the upgrades.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

It has a demo version now but i dont think it's fully working

I've just downloaded a trial version of this
But how do you insert chords to play your own song.
As soon as I put my own chords in and press play. Not only does it play my chords but it also plays some backing that BIAB has self generated
And it sounds crap. You've got 2 different songs playing the same time. Headache beyond belief

It doesn't recognise iRig for guitar so I can't do it that way. It recognises irig keys but i dont play keyboard.
And if i import a song from my daw none of the real drums work. Or any of the other stuff.

Any ideas

You can have a demo! As long as you'd like.
It's just that you have to do a deposit of $150.

Do you know how many hours you can hire a session singer for that money?
swatwork wrote:n/m
Ah yeah, saw too late this is a NECRO thread :dog:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”