THE Psytrance thread

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Recursive, that is awesome. I will put together some templates in studio one format and share them. I will try to use free effects and studio one stock. I also have saturn and all the effects I mentioned earlier. I think it could be a good chance to learn how others are doing it and hopefully others will decide to join in. The more that do the more we can compare methods and learn I hope. I also use Fl Studio and Orion. I'm willing to make template in either of these if someone is also willing to share in the same format.

Best vsti's for bass I would use, aside from free ones

Sylenth
Massive
Rapid
Dune 2
Serum
Cronox 2 (not v3 or crx4, but 2!) It is the best one I think!
Diversion (I have some presets from my Serene Horizon set I might be willing to share if interested) Will post an audio example soon.
Hive (ditto with above)
Razor
Spire
Trillian

I will probably make some short videos for others who don't use the DAW when I make them. Will try to have something in a few days :D

Also here is some ideas from Terrafractyl that he shared a link for me.

http://kinematicrecords.com/ProductionR ... orial.html

Also, in case anyone missed this, an absolutely epic 120+ thread on basslines via isratrance, kind of old though and not updated to much in five years

http://forum.isratrance.com/the-mother- ... es-thread/
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

My contribution for the Rapid owners

http://www.filedropper.com/psypresets1

This is what these presets sound like

https://soundcloud.com/recursion-loop/p ... rance-demo

Later I'll also share some free psytrance presets for Dune2.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Yes, dune 2 is also really great for psy goa sounds! I'll probably have some of those to share as well in a bit.

Here are some free soundsets for both rapid and diversion as well. I moved them into there own reply since my last reply was getting kinda long winded and might be easy to miss :)

Here are some presets for rapid taken from the soundset I released a little bit ago. Some should be perfect for psy/goa. I'll probably share some more in a bit, in an exclusive psy/goa context.

http://www.touch-the-universe.com/North ... 20Demo.zip

And here are some more for Diversion ( which is really amazing for psy imo)

http://www.touch-the-universe.com/Seren ... 20Demo.zip

This might also be of some interest. Lush-101, being modeled after the sh101, is very suited to psy sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sberm_eAZWE
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote:Some good effects

General Effects

1. Any of Psp's Effects like H20
2. Glitch 2
3. Looperator
4. Melda Multi Band Rythmizer
5. Grossbeat
6. Echobode
7. Tantra

Would like to hear about some effects too
Glitchmachines stuff is a piece of heaven. G-Sonique has something useful too but only 32bit :/
recursive one wrote:
Zexila wrote:What you guys use for kicks these days?
Mechanimal kcik samples, I'm a lazy pig :D
After saying that:
recursive one wrote:Some equalization and transient shaping to get it working better in a track. But the bass is a bitch, tried various recipes finally settled on my "magic" Sylenth preset and two band saturation from Saturn (Also equalization depending on the key of the track, transient shaping and a monoizer)
Heck.. I just toss BazzISM2 to a track, set the key I want it to thump in and tiny adjusts of decay n stuff and it's ready :D
recursive one wrote:Does anybody here use Serum for psy? How good it is? It seems that everybody who makes psy and their mom owns a copy of it now.
IMO it makes very pleasing plucky bass. But generally what ever I do with it, ends up something neurostyle. Though I get the same neuro stuff out from Synthmaster too. But generally it's awesome for sounds that change over time. Can be done easily in SM too but in Serum you see more of what's happening.
Touch The Universe wrote:What daws are everyone using?
Well basically my main DAW is Reason but I do have (and use) Bitwig and Reaper too.
Touch The Universe wrote:Best vsti's for bass I would use, aside from free ones

Sylenth
Massive
Rapid
Dune 2
Serum
Cronox 2 (not v3 or crx4, but 2!) It is the best one I think!
Diversion (I have some presets from my Serene Horizon set I might be willing to share if interested) Will post an audio example soon.
Hive (ditto with above)
Razor
Spire
Trillian
Those mentioned above and

MX4/4 from G-Sonique is very good IMO.
Tone2 Nemesis is generally nice for psy, but makes some bass sounds that melt cones.
DiscoDSP Corona <- This one is one weird bird.
KarmaFX Modular, maybe one of my favorite.

Think this is really valuable tip for psy bass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF-NS8DOiXA

I'm not expert on this matter, being messing with psy long ago and I sucked even than, but had pleasure to play with Trilian, so really think Trilian is still the best thing for psy bass, plenty of synths can make good psy bass and probably every one of them got something going for it, some character, so it's good to use for variety, sure, that's why still Trilian is the best, because every different saw gives different character, it's like you got few synths and also you can really tweak it nicely too, think every serious psy head that is still on the hunt for "that" bass should just get Trilian.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

This guy is awesome too.

https://www.youtube.com/user/faxinadu
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:
I'm not expert on this matter, being messing with psy long ago and I sucked even than, but had pleasure to play with Trilian, so really think Trilian is still the best thing for psy bass, plenty of synths can make good psy bass and probably every one of them got something going for it, some character, so it's good to use for variety, sure, that's why still Trilian is the best, because every different saw gives different character, it's like you got few synths and also you can really tweak it nicely too, think every serious psy head that is still on the hunt for "that" bass should just get Trilian.

Late to the party, but that is interesting to read.. tbh I had exactly the opposite experience with Trillian, I really wanted to use it for basslines but NEver could get it to sound right. Having all those different synths oscs sure seemed like the bees knees but...!!
I put it down to the Envelopes, which to me, make or break any synths ability to do snappy psytrance basslines.

I used Sylenth1 for years for my basslines, and still do a lot of the time. I find it is quick and easy to dial in and has a really nice amount of low end. Lately I have been using Serum and found it surprising easy to get decent basslines. Again the envelopes are different (adjustable curves) to most that I have a traditionally used for this so it took a little while to get them exactly right, but when you do it works!

but yeah T.T.U universe posted a psy bass tutorial aboce(if you can even call it that) I wrote many years ago... :oops: I think it is a bit shitty to be honest but the main point is that you should be able to get super close to a decent sound with little or no processing.
Hypnagog (Experimental Electronica) |
Terrafractyl (Psytrance) |Kinematic Records (Label)

Thanks for joining us Terrafractyl :) Super happy you decided to participate in this thread! For those of you who don't know, Terrafractyl defintely knows his shi* and I'm sure we could all learn a bit from him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0wOcIG_k7U

Btw, what DAW do you use Terrafractyl?

Here is another great read from Cosmosis, he also touches up upon the exponential envelopes that are really essential for a snappy bassline.

http://cosmosis.co.uk/cosmosis-bass-secrets-info

And another shorter list of some probably overlooked but really killer bass vstis

1. NWBass
2. Genobazz
3. ABL2/3
4. VB-1 (Super classic one)

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote:For those of you who don't know
Hehe.. Good one :hihi:

Terrafractyl wrote:Late to the party, but that is interesting to read.. tbh I had exactly the opposite experience with Trillian, I really wanted to use it for basslines but NEver could get it to sound right. Having all those different synths oscs sure seemed like the bees knees but...!!
I put it down to the Envelopes, which to me, make or break any synths ability to do snappy psytrance basslines.
As I recall, there's that extended view where one can really get envelopes right, velocity curves too, than that start slider for getting the right starting point (phase) of the waveform, overall, some of the saw's sounded really great, some of the filters quite decent too, "raw" outcome of Trilian really sounded quite "there" to me, probably because Spectrasonics already processed sampled waveforms in some way, don't know really, it's been a long time and even than I didn't know any better. :oops:

Lejurai wrote:
Touch The Universe wrote:For those of you who don't know
Hehe.. Good one :hihi:
:lol: I guess I'm late then :hihi: just found his tracks a few days ago :D absolutely killer stuff :tu:

TTU Youtube

Zexila wrote:
Terrafractyl wrote:Late to the party, but that is interesting to read.. tbh I had exactly the opposite experience with Trillian, I really wanted to use it for basslines but NEver could get it to sound right. Having all those different synths oscs sure seemed like the bees knees but...!!
As I recall, there's that extended view where one can really get envelopes right, velocity curves too, than that start slider for getting the right starting point (phase) of the waveform, overall, some of the saw's sounded really great, some of the filters quite decent too, "raw" outcome of Trilian really sounded quite "there" to me, probably because Spectrasonics already processed sampled waveforms in some way, don't know really, it's been a long time and even than I didn't know any better. :oops:
Some of Trillian's Basses are really great for psy, haven't used it a while though, but I definitely remember the envelopes being an issue. Streaming individual bass notes then fine tuning them in a sampler or manually adjusting the length and some slight automation might be a solution. Will give it a try and see if its any good or not.

On the same subject though, cronox 2 envelopes are the snappiest I've ever heard in any vsti, its a shame they messed it up with cronox 3..

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote:Thanks for joining us Terrafractyl :) Super happy you decided to participate in this thread! For those of you who don't know, Terrafractyl defintely knows his shi* and I'm sure we could all learn a bit from him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0wOcIG_k7U

Btw, what DAW do you use Terrafractyl?

Here is another great read from Cosmosis, he also touches up upon the exponential envelopes that are really essential for a snappy bassline.

http://cosmosis.co.uk/cosmosis-bass-secrets-info

And another shorter list of some probably overlooked but really killer bass vstis

1. NWBass
2. Genobazz
3. ABL2/3
4. VB-1 (Super classic one)
Thanks a lot! :)
To be honest I never considered myself a psy purist, and my basslines and Kicks are a little different from most, but I like it that way haha
VB1 certainly takes me back, I remember when Vb1 with Quadrafuzz was THE way to make psy basslines.... Thanks Isratrance!
As for DAW I use Cubase mainly, but have dabbled with Bitwig over the past year or 2.

Also I have been using Bazzism for years as well, Kick 2 has gotten a bit of a look in lately, but still gets bumped out by Bazzism a lot as I can just make that thing do what I want REally quickly. I don't miss using sampled Kick drums at all!
Zexila wrote:
Yeah that sounds about right, Spectrasonics usually have all the options plus more, and I never delved too deeply into it.... as 500$ is a lot to spend on a bass machine! I only played around with it at a friends place a few times. I think I'm glad I didn't go further with it!
Hypnagog (Experimental Electronica) |
Terrafractyl (Psytrance) |Kinematic Records (Label)

Touch The Universe wrote:but I definitely remember the envelopes being an issue.
Sorry for asking this, but you did try to hit that extended envelopes view?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”