THE Psytrance thread

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
User avatar
Synthman2000
KVRian
569 posts since 27 Apr, 2016

Post Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:28 pm

Thought I would present this here..latest offering SoundCloud to the track in the sig... pretty pleased with it.

User avatar
Distorted Horizon
KVRAF
1539 posts since 17 Jan, 2017

Re: THE Psytrance thread

Post Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:56 am

Time to wake this thread again :)

Anything new guys? Have you tried that Melda tool I mentioned earlier?

recursive one
KVRAF
3847 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Re: THE Psytrance thread

Post Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:02 am

Nothing new here... the art of making the bass which doesn't suck still escapes me :(

What do you think about the bass here?

https://soundcloud.com/recursion-loop/s ... he-machine
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

User avatar
wickfut
KVRist
439 posts since 22 Sep, 2015

Re: THE Psytrance thread

Post Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:10 am

'tiz rather nice that.

User avatar
Distorted Horizon
KVRAF
1539 posts since 17 Jan, 2017

Re: THE Psytrance thread

Post Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:01 pm

[quote="recursive one"][/quote]

You've been talking about your venture to find The Perfect Bass for so long, that I have to ask that how would you describe that The Perfect Bass?

For some reason I'm not into bass hunt almost at all. For me if the bass sits and supports the song, it's perfect.

Terrafractyl
KVRist
352 posts since 15 Nov, 2005 from Melbourne Australia

Re: THE Psytrance thread

Post Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:32 pm

I think i have been out to find the 'best' basslines i could for 20 years now. It never ends, but I wouldnt use the word 'perfect' as I dont think that exists in music or art. What i think of as perfect now will probably sound bad to my ears in 10 years. Its happened to me more than once over the years. Hell i started trying to make goa trance in the 90s and some of the kick/bass sounds I used to Love sound like blergh to me now haha.

Recursive one I know your after a south african early 2000s kinda vibe though.. i dont know your monitoring situation, but have you spent much time/ money on treatment or anything?
One thing i have learnt over the years is when trying to make snappy, crisp sounding basslines, the synth envelopes amd the freq response of your room isnt the whole story.

Room/modal issues creating huge tails on certain low freqs can be your biggest enemy.
Its horrible looking at a waterfall display of your room to realise certain vitally important freqs are 'hanging around' in your room for a very long time in comparison to others.
I dunno if its your problem, but it could be in part!
A lot of people dont find this stuff worth doing, but trust me a good sounding room is way better than a nice pair of speakers!
Hypnagog (Experimental Electronica) |
Terrafractyl (Psytrance) |Kinematic Records (Label)

Trance Euphoria
KVRist
184 posts since 27 Nov, 2010

Re: THE Psytrance thread

Post Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:07 pm

Hello All

Trance Euphoria are proud to release ‘PSY Trance Anthems For Vengeance Avenger’ featuring 128 x Top Quality Presets & 10 x PSY Trance Construction Kits as heard in the demos.

https://soundcloud.com/trance-euphoria- ... or-avenger

Whats In The Pack?
* 128 x Vengeance Avenger Presets.
* 10 x PSY Trance Construction Kits (WAV/MIDI & Avenger Presets).
* 100% Royalty Free.
* 448MB Zipped | 567MB Unzipped.

Patches Broken Down:-
10 x Arps
26 x Basses
20 x FX
21 x Leads
16 x Pads
18 x Plucks
15 x Synths

Construction Kits Details
* Kit BPM ranges from 138 -145.
* Each kit folder is BPM and KEY labelled.
* Each Kit Contains folder of MIDI Files for all main parts.
* Each Kit Contains folder of Avenger Presets used.
* Each Kit has Kick, Percussion Inc Top Loops, Toms, Snares, Crashes etc and any additional FX Used (WAV 24-Bit).
* Each Kit has WAV Stems - Basslines, Leads, FXs, Synths, Plucks etc (WAV 24- Bit).
* 120 x WAV Files (24-Bit).
* 36 x MIDI Files.
* 100% Royalty Free.

* Please Use Avenger Version 1.2.5 Or Higher.
* Please Note : Keep your software legal and up-to-date to avoid any issues when loading your new presets.

Price & Availability
Price Is £20 and is available at sellfy at the moment - Purchase -->HERE<--

Will be released this week on Producerloops & Dance MIDI Samples
And Beatport Sounds at a later date.

Thanks MW :tu:

recursive one
KVRAF
3847 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Re: THE Psytrance thread

Post Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:06 am

Distorted Horizon wrote: how would you describe that The Perfect Bass?
Ha, that's easy - any bass from any psy track released in last few years which is not mine :)
Terrafractyl wrote: i dont know your monitoring situation, but have you spent much time/ money on treatment or anything?
One thing i have learnt over the years is when trying to make snappy, crisp sounding basslines, the synth envelopes amd the freq response of your room isnt the whole story.
I mix mostly in headphones :( Because of two kids in the first place. I also have a half-decent pair of speakers but no room treatment. I do understand that this is utterly important but I can't afford having a dedicated production room with decent acoustic treatment at the moment. Real-life priorities and shit :( So my goal is not to make the biggest and fattest bass on earth, rather a bass which works reasonably well in a track and doesn't sound like ass at any other audio system.
Terrafractyl wrote: Recursive one I know your after a south african early 2000s kinda vibe though
I do really dig this vibe and I have some tracks made in that vein but now I'm after more modern proggy sound, like E-Clip, Sideform etc.
wickfut wrote:'tiz rather nice that.
:)
This actually sounds quite nice and much better that the official Vengeance psy expansion demo. TBH that's actually the first audio I'm hearing from Avenger which I like. Some good basses in there btw.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

andymcbain
KVRist
202 posts since 10 Jan, 2017

Re: THE Psytrance thread

Post Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:44 am

Distorted Horizon wrote:My dear fellows in Psy.

Your wait is over.

The solution to that nasty phase issue in bbb is now found.

May I represent to you..

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MFreeformPhase

Vojtec if I ever see you, I'll grab your cheeks and kiss you like a beast.
200_s.gif
This intrigued me but I found drawing freehand on that tiny melda screen (I only have the free version) was a bit annoying. Which phase issues are you using it to solve? :)

andymcbain
KVRist
202 posts since 10 Jan, 2017

Re: THE Psytrance thread

Post Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:03 am

recursive one wrote:
This actually sounds quite nice and much better that the official Vengeance psy expansion demo. TBH that's actually the first audio I'm hearing from Avenger which I like. Some good basses in there btw.
Avenger rocks for bass - I wish I could afford to buy it! When I had the demo I managed to knock up the tightest bass sound I'd ever made within a matter of minutes... just your basic saw, 24dB low pass (forget which one) and simple envelope settings - but the icing on the cake was being able to adjust the harmonics of the wave in the editor. I seem to remember cranking every harmonic up to max *except* the 3rd - which kinda gave the overall sound some overdrive but kept the pitch stable - as it was emphasising the fundamental frequency and the harmonic 1 octave above that.

After that I ran it through a multiband compressor on default settings - which often has a pleasing effect on psytrance bass - and is why some producers still have really old versions of Cubase so they can use the original Quadrafuzz plugin! No further compression or EQ needed after that.

For a tight, proggy bass - you won't go wrong with Avenger. No need to buy preset banks for it :)

Sylenth is still the daddy too... a friend of mine who runs a label and performs internationally swears by it, and the old Quadrafuzz. It's all in the synth, not the processing :) Oh and having the most solid kick you can find helps as well!

recursive one
KVRAF
3847 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Re: THE Psytrance thread

Post Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:26 am

andymcbain wrote:Avenger rocks for bass - I wish I could afford to buy it! When I had the demo I managed to knock up the tightest bass sound I'd ever made within a matter of minutes... just your basic saw, 24dB low pass (forget which one) and simple envelope settings - but the icing on the cake was being able to adjust the harmonics of the wave in the editor. I seem to remember cranking every harmonic up to max *except* the 3rd - which kinda gave the overall sound some overdrive but kept the pitch stable - as it was emphasising the fundamental frequency and the harmonic 1 octave above that.

After that I ran it through a multiband compressor on default settings - which often has a pleasing effect on psytrance bass
I think, the same thing should be possible in the new synth Thorn by Dmitry Sches. It also offers control over individual harmonics in a wave and also has a "boost" effect which seems to be a sort of multiband compressor. Thorn is much cheaper currently.

I'm still not sure about Avenger. It's technically very high quality engine but what I've heard from it sounds somehow boring, except for that TE demo. Clean, characterless, a bit thin sound. I understand that it is very complex synth where you probably can build whatever sound character you want but I prefer more "coloured" synths like Spire, which sound great with minimum effort.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

User avatar
Distorted Horizon
KVRAF
1539 posts since 17 Jan, 2017

Re: THE Psytrance thread

Post Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:42 am

recursive one wrote:
andymcbain wrote:Avenger rocks for bass - I wish I could afford to buy it! When I had the demo I managed to knock up the tightest bass sound I'd ever made within a matter of minutes... just your basic saw, 24dB low pass (forget which one) and simple envelope settings - but the icing on the cake was being able to adjust the harmonics of the wave in the editor. I seem to remember cranking every harmonic up to max *except* the 3rd - which kinda gave the overall sound some overdrive but kept the pitch stable - as it was emphasising the fundamental frequency and the harmonic 1 octave above that.

After that I ran it through a multiband compressor on default settings - which often has a pleasing effect on psytrance bass
I think, the same thing should be possible in the new synth Thorn by Dmitry Sches. It also offers control over individual harmonics in a wave and also has a "boost" effect which seems to be a sort of multiband compressor. Thorn is much cheaper currently.

I'm still not sure about Avenger. It's technically very high quality engine but what I've heard from it sounds somehow boring, except for that TE demo. Clean, characterless, a bit thin sound. I understand that it is very complex synth where you probably can build whatever sound character you want but I prefer more "coloured" synths like Spire, which sound great with minimum effort.
Thorn, Diversion, MPowerSynth, Fathom, KarmaFX Modular, Serum.... Just to name few.

recursive one wrote:Ha, that's easy - any bass from any psy track released in last few years which is not mine :)
Ahh.. Sweet self punishment and criticism :D
andymcbain wrote:This intrigued me but I found drawing freehand on that tiny melda screen (I only have the free version) was a bit annoying. Which phase issues are you using it to solve? :)
Bass. When you toss a highpass to a bass, it may create a several dB peak. With this little tool you can remove that.

recursive one
KVRAF
3847 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Re: THE Psytrance thread

Post Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:41 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvqRBRHovaM

That sound (and the melody) at 2:20 -is it a preset? I'm sure I've heard it in some synth, probably Z3ta
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

andymcbain
KVRist
202 posts since 10 Jan, 2017

Re: THE Psytrance thread

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:14 am

recursive one wrote:
I'm still not sure about Avenger. It's technically very high quality engine but what I've heard from it sounds somehow boring, except for that TE demo. Clean, characterless, a bit thin sound. I understand that it is very complex synth where you probably can build whatever sound character you want but I prefer more "coloured" synths like Spire, which sound great with minimum effort.
Precisely the reason I haven't bought it yet. The first thing I usually check when demoing a synth is "does it psybass?" (I'm sad like that) and while I was able to create my ideal bass sound really quickly I found I was happier with the results from my other synths when it came to stuff like FM, acid leads, etc. I absolutely love the FM in Serum for example - it seems to have a lot of depth and movement to my ears.

So yeah, I can't quite justify 199 EUR just for sawtooth bass lines quite yet!

recursive one
KVRAF
3847 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Re: THE Psytrance thread

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:27 am

andymcbain wrote:
recursive one wrote:
I'm still not sure about Avenger. It's technically very high quality engine but what I've heard from it sounds somehow boring, except for that TE demo. Clean, characterless, a bit thin sound. I understand that it is very complex synth where you probably can build whatever sound character you want but I prefer more "coloured" synths like Spire, which sound great with minimum effort.
Precisely the reason I haven't bought it yet. The first thing I usually check when demoing a synth is "does it psybass?" (I'm sad like that) and while I was able to create my ideal bass sound really quickly I found I was happier with the results from my other synths when it came to stuff like FM, acid leads, etc. I absolutely love the FM in Serum for example - it seems to have a lot of depth and movement to my ears.

So yeah, I can't quite justify 199 EUR just for sawtooth bass lines quite yet!
Yeah, next to Virus, Serum is my favourite source of the FM leads :tu: As for the acid stuff, Spire, Diversion and good old Sylenth are pretty good at this (as well as the Virus ofc).

I just bought Ultrabass which to my ears makes these saw basses just right and it is only 27 EUR :)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”