THE Psytrance thread

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Zexila
KVRAF
3194 posts since 18 Mar, 2008

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:57 am

recursive one wrote: I do really dig this vibe and I have some tracks made in that vein but now I'm after more modern proggy sound, like E-Clip, Sideform etc.
What are the chances they still use Trilian+QuadraFuzz for their bass? Guess very high. 8)
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

recursive one
KVRAF
3847 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Re: THE Psytrance thread

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:23 am

Zexila wrote:
recursive one wrote: I do really dig this vibe and I have some tracks made in that vein but now I'm after more modern proggy sound, like E-Clip, Sideform etc.
What are the chances they still use Trilian+QuadraFuzz for their bass? Guess very high. 8)
Good for them :tu: I have neither Trillian nor Cubase. Daniel Lesden uses Sylenth afaik.

Actually when making this bassline

https://soundcloud.com/recursion-loop/s ... he-machine

I had this track imported into my DAW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg8I4-hP8wc

The differences are heard but I think they rather come down to exact envelope settings, equalization and stuff like that than to the plugins used.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Zexila
KVRAF

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:40 am

recursive one wrote: The differences are heard but I think they rather come down to exact envelope settings, equalization and stuff like that than to the plugins used.
Sure, but than again, witnessed making almost spot on Zyce bass with basicly default Trilian patch and Quadrafuzz, they use that, anything you put trough Quadra sounds "it", just like when you start tweaking ES-1, it screams Shanti&Dino Psaras, it's so there so quickly, because that's actual tools used.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

recursive one
KVRAF

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:49 am

Zexila wrote:
recursive one wrote: The differences are heard but I think they rather come down to exact envelope settings, equalization and stuff like that than to the plugins used.
Sure, but than again, witnessed making almost spot on Zyce bass with basicly default Trilian patch and Quadrafuzz, they use that, anything you put trough Quadra sounds "it", just like when you start tweaking ES-1, it screams Shanti&Dino Psaras, it's so there so quickly, because that's actual tools used.
I'm not after "exactly the same thing" which is pointless imo, rather "as good as". It probably would be great to make this exact sound by chaining two plugins together if one of them didn't cost about 300 Euros and another one weren't usable only in one of the most expensive and buggy DAWs :?

Zexila
KVRAF

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:03 am

recursive one wrote:
Zexila wrote:
I'm not after "exactly the same thing" which is pointless imo, rather "as good as". It probably would be great to make this exact sound by chaining two plugins together if one of them didn't cost about 300 Euros and another one weren't usable only in one of the most expensive and buggy DAWs :?
Yeah, but guess the clue is to get what is so special about those tools and try to get close, you did that already, but still it's obvious both tools pack something that stands out and it's even recognizable at this point, wish you could visit someone that uses that and start hearing all those stuff you heard so many times, fun stuff. :party:

As I recall, every saw in Trilian have different character, also Quadra on default settings got "that" sound you can't unheard after it.

recursive one
KVRAF

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:27 am

Well, that's all very useful info, thanks for sharing it anyway :tu:

Zexila
KVRAF

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:32 am

It's not I know, but hey, at least thread is bumped. :bang: :D

recursive one
KVRAF

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:37 am

Actually I'm always interested in "how exactly did the do this" even in case I know for sure that I'll never own the same gear.

andymcbain
KVRist
203 posts since 10 Jan, 2017

Post Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:19 am

Yes, a lot of producers are still using the old Trillian + Quadrafuzz combo... Outsiders being a notable example :)

Cakewalk Rapture + Quadrafuzz is popular amongst the Tesseract Studio guys I understand. I think Rapture has some more unusual but useful waveforms.

The "Quadrafuzz Sound" can be emulated using all-pass filters placed at strategic frequencies, or with most multiband processors on default settings. Fabfilter Saturn is a good example. Just placing a crossover point at the frequency of the 2nd or 3rd harmonic will have a noticeable effect. I also got great results from the very inexpensive 3XOver by Hornet - which would probably murder the sound of an acoustic instrument but can be used to great effect when sculpting a bass sound :D

One of these days I'll actually finish some more tracks rather than just tweaking kick and bass...

Distorted Horizon
KVRAF
1628 posts since 17 Jan, 2017 from Planet of cats

Post Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:51 pm

Wonder how many still use analog stuff.

Zexila
KVRAF

Post Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:19 am

Distorted Horizon wrote:Wonder how many still use analog stuff.
Would even go further and wonder how many even use hardware these days.

Distorted Horizon
KVRAF

Post Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:41 am

Zexila wrote:
Like Virus? Nord? :)

Zexila
KVRAF

Post Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:55 am

Distorted Horizon wrote:
Zexila wrote:
Yeah, the usual suspects. 8)

Distorted Horizon
KVRAF

Post Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:11 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z271T9Hb3SM

There's something very attractive here :love:

Distorted Horizon
KVRAF

Post Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:12 am

Zexila wrote:
Distorted Horizon wrote:
Zexila wrote:
Yeah, the usual suspects. 8)
BassStation (2), waldorf synths...

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”