Music production challenge: 5 song styles in 10 minutes

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey everybody,

a few weeks back, I had an interesting little idea.

I wondered whether it would be possible to produce five different song styles in 10 minutes - from start to finish.

Sketching one song in 10 minutes is already interesting, but creating five separate styles seemed a bit crazy at first. However, I decided to give it a go. Of course I had to plan some things beforehand (like sound choice, effects, and re-use of song elements). But in the end, the main work was the reduction of each style to its essential elements.

Without further ado, here is what I came up with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ9dMs0cd90

I definitely had a lot of fun with this challenge, and I would loooooove to see the work of others here :)! Are you ready for some action?

Here are the challenge rules:
  • Pick five genres of your choice. No matter what.
  • Use any software and hardware you want.
  • The focus is on songwriting. You are allowed to prepare instruments and effects beforehand.
  • You have 10 minutes (no pause!) to create your five song parts.
  • You must be able to play back the result from a DAW or other sequencer.
A video entry would be nice, I guess^^.

There are some prices to win, too. I will randomly pick three winners among all participants of this challenge. Final entry date is 2017-06-22 (Thursday). Please use the hashtag #5in10 if you enter your work outside of KVR. Each winner can freely choose between all of my products and pick one lifetime license: Sundog Song Studio (as seen in the video) or MelodicFlow (scales and melodies VSTi) or XotoPad (Windows touch controller).

If you are interested in the details, you can read more about my production choices and the thoughts on my five genres here:
http://feelyoursound.com/articles/5-in-10-challenge

I hope you like this challenge and feel the urge to show your own work! :hyper: :party:

Cheers,
Hauke
Songwriting software: Sundog Song Studio (standalone) | MelodicFlow (plug-in) | ChordPotion (plug-in) | XotoPad (Windows touch app)

IM IN. i'll give the challenge a go.

I think it'll be sort of a medley at the end of the day.

poodle head wrote:IM IN. i'll give the challenge a go.

I think it'll be sort of a medley at the end of the day.
Great :tu: . Looking forward to hear your results :hyper:.
Songwriting software: Sundog Song Studio (standalone) | MelodicFlow (plug-in) | ChordPotion (plug-in) | XotoPad (Windows touch app)

A ten minute advert for your software. Great :ud:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:A ten minute advert for your software. Great :ud:
Yes, I use my own software there :). I started to write tools for my own productions early on. Sundog became my favourite very quickly, so I decided to make a commercial release a few years ago. Since then many updates have been made - thanks to user suggestions :tu: .

I still love to produce my own tracks with it, and I am happy that it allows me to work this quickly. Hence the video :).
But really: I would be happy to see people with other production methods here, too. Personally I simply cannot play any "real" instrument, so I worked with my software. But this doesn't mean that others aren't allowed to play their keyboards instead ;)

hauke wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:A ten minute advert for your software. Great :ud:
Yes, I use my own software there :). I started to write tools for my own productions early on. Sundog became my favourite very quickly, so I decided to make a commercial release a few years ago. Since then many updates have been made - thanks to user suggestions :tu: .

I still love to produce my own tracks with it, and I am happy that it allows me to work this quickly. Hence the video :).
But really: I would be happy to see people with other production methods here, too. Personally I simply cannot play any "real" instrument, so I worked with my software. But this doesn't mean that others aren't allowed to play their keyboards instead ;)
But I don't see the challenge if you are using something that is almost auto-accompaniment software :shrug:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: But I don't see the challenge if you are using something that is almost auto-accompaniment software :shrug:
Um.. Sundog is not an auto-accompaniment software. I'd rather say it's a specialized sequencer: It uses a pattern/rhythm-based approach to song-writing. All rhythms and progressions in my video are built from scratch.
The workflow itself is especially useful for common "Western" styles like modern pop, EDM, and urban genres. Essentially those genres that heavily rely on chord progressions and scale melodies.
So, no Jazz at the moment ;).

OK, Here is my video. Unfortunately it took longer than 10 minutes to make the 5 different parts but at least it is a run through: Sounds OK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac1O0-6Jbbc

Wow, cool, thanks a bunch :)!! Yeah, it's not in 10 minutes, but then again you use 8 bar song parts instead of 4 bar tracks like I did ;).
So nice to see that you use the multi-pattern feature a lot!

I love the "Dub Inspired" and "Future Bass" song parts the most. And especially the playful background melodies around the offbeat in the "Future Bass Break". Feels wonderfully relaxed :)! I like it when you can listen to songs several times and notice something new everytime :clap:

Cheers,
Hauke

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”