Please recommend a non-Apple mp3/music player

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My 64gB iPod is essentially a worthless #$#@#$@ paperweight which sometimes will play audio and other times won't. Just a basically inconsistent piece of garbage.

I am looking for recommendations for a decent portable player that I can play in the car. I have USB-in as well as audio jack in the car deck.

Expandable memory would be nice, but not critical. Ease of battery change a plus.

Not looking to put music on phone, but maybe there is even a decent (cheap) non-Apple smartphone out there that would work well. Maybe having a screen would help?

Thanks for your input! :)

I would look at Cowon. I have an i9, I believe. Not upgradeable, but dependable, and excellent sound quality. Both my wife and father in law have one too, on my recommendation.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Maybe a Sony Walkman? The Premium model appears to have 256GB internal memory, but it costs a fortune and a half. Not sure if the Walkmans generally have expandable memory either.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

Maybe I'm missing the point but...

...if you just want this for the car and your car deck has a USB port then can't you just load up a USB memory stick and let the deck do the playback?

If not then I used to have a Sony walkman and that was great, sounded good, solid, easy to use etc. Though have generally used my phone for the last few years purely so I only had one device to worry about.

Google Pixel now comes in a 128 Gb version. I was finally able to transfer my entire music library off the 64 Gb iPod Touch I had outgrown. Pair that up with MediaMonkey, both PC and Android app, and you can sync music/playlists/album art on your phone the same way you would in iTunes. And it won't lose your music library every six months or so the way iTunes does. :roll:

Bombadil wrote:I would look at Cowon. I have an i9, I believe. Not upgradeable, but dependable, and excellent sound quality. Both my wife and father in law have one too, on my recommendation.
Can't find an i9, but there is an i10. Doesn't look like there's an option for 64gb or more.
AsPeeXXXVIII wrote:Maybe a Sony Walkman? The Premium model appears to have 256GB internal memory, but it costs a fortune and a half. Not sure if the Walkmans generally have expandable memory either.
Amazon is showing a 128gB model for $698 - why so expensive??? :eek:

GaryG wrote:Maybe I'm missing the point but...

...if you just want this for the car and your car deck has a USB port then can't you just load up a USB memory stick and let the deck do the playback?

If not then I used to have a Sony walkman and that was great, sounded good, solid, easy to use etc. Though have generally used my phone for the last few years purely so I only had one device to worry about.
Well, I do use a stick to check mixes out in the car, but my current deck has a convoluted method of accessing and displaying folders and files on a small one line screen. (it's a pain in the butt )

A phone may end up being the best option...

RichieWitch wrote:Google Pixel now comes in a 128 Gb version. I was finally able to transfer my entire music library off the 64 Gb iPod Touch I had outgrown. Pair that up with MediaMonkey, both PC and Android app, and you can sync music/playlists/album art on your phone the same way you would in iTunes. And it won't lose your music library every six months or so the way iTunes does. :roll:
$%^#%$!! iTunes - would love to finally dump that! Problems all the time :bang:

Yes, I'd just like to have the entire library on something. The 128gb Pixel looks great, but looks out of my price range at $800.

MediaMonkey and maybe a cheap second hand phone with a maxxed out micro sd card?...

I got a cheap little RCA tablet on sale,a 32gb Sd card, & downloaded Rocket Player. It's pretty decent. Touch screen w/ album cover thumbnails to scroll thru. It's just small enough to fit in a pocket & my partner is able to attach it to his GPS holder thingy in the car.
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”