"Where does artistry end and copycat cut and paste begin?"

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF
8181 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Post Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:26 pm

I disagree that we're all too old to appreciate the current new like our fathers and theirs were.

We no longer grow up into shirtvand trouser grown ups as they did and the music they faced in old age was different and outrageous and they were shocked by the performers. The majority of mainstream music now is stale and indifferent. Regurgitating the same old chord progressions and drum patterns.

Of course there will always be good music but will we ever be shocked again by the next new thing

vurt
addled muppet weed
37262 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: "Where does artistry end and copycat cut and paste begin?"

Post Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:32 pm

dunno, im often shocked when i overhear someones radio :scared:

Hink
Rad Grandad
27227 posts since 6 Sep, 2003 from Downeast Maine

Post Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:48 pm

for the record I never we're all too old or that old people are "reducible to old fuddy-duddies"
Hink wrote:
JerGoertz wrote:Most popular music I've heard from recent years is shit anyways.
said every generation eva :hihi:
of course the keyword being generation, I stand by the above quote as it is a very common phenomenon with a long time catchy name..."generation gap" (a term pretty much as old as myself as it was indeed first used relating to my generation). I relate later a personal story about my parents and a friend's so apparently I am talking all old people? :dog: :hihi:

jancivil
KVRAF
15386 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Post Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:30 pm

"still all these comments do go back directly to my point. "

I indicated that mine does not. And I went into detail. You like 'generations' all doing exactly this one thing but now it's just an anecdote about your family. You really have implied that once people become older, they react just like old people always have about 'rock and roll' or 'jitterbugging'. I felt like showing that isn't always true. I think that is actually more interesting. :shrug:

Hink
Rad Grandad
27227 posts since 6 Sep, 2003 from Downeast Maine

Post Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:07 pm

You like 'generations' all doing exactly this one thing
thank you for proving my point, kindly keep your words out of my mouth :lol:

VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF
8181 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Post Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:16 am

I thought music everyone listened to was shit when I was in my 20s, wheres the generation gap?

Michael L
KVRAF
2371 posts since 25 Jan, 2014 from the End of the World as we Knowit

Post Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:51 am

Good and bad, I define these terms
Quite clear, no doubt, somehow
Ah, but I was so much older then
I’m younger than that now

JJ_Jettflow
KVRian
735 posts since 23 Jan, 2011

Post Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:09 am

Did anyone read the article before commenting?

Gamma-UT
KVRAF
4274 posts since 8 Jun, 2009 from UK

Post Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:15 am

JJ_Jettflow wrote:Did anyone read the article before commenting?
I read it the first time someone posted a thread on it. It had little in the way of dazzling insight the first time around being mostly unsubstantiated assertions that sound virtuous, and it hasn't improved with age. However, there is the satisfying irony of the OP using other people's content to recycle an old thread idea. So there's that.

JJ_Jettflow
KVRian

Post Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:18 am

Gamma-UT wrote:
JJ_Jettflow wrote:Did anyone read the article before commenting?
I read it the first time someone posted a thread on it. It had little in the way of dazzling insight the first time around and it hasn't improved with age. However, there is the satisfying irony of the OP using other people's content to recycle an old thread idea. So there's that.

I found the article to be very short but did have some good points to it but I saw little discussion in the thread; only childish mocking of it...so typical for KVR.

Gamma-UT
KVRAF

Post Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:19 am

JJ_Jettflow wrote:I found the article to be very short but did have some good points to it but I saw little discussion in the thread; only childish mocking of it...so typical for KVR.
What were the good points?

Also, the mocking was primarily of the OP, largely for the reason I stated above.

melomood
KVRist
312 posts since 15 Oct, 2017 from U.S.

Post Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:25 am

I ask you,Sarah
Can copy & paste be an art unto itself?
At what point does copy & paste become an art unto itself?

Was Bowie cheating when he scrambled prewritten words and phrases around to create new lyrics?

JJ_Jettflow
KVRian

Post Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:25 am

Gamma-UT wrote:
JJ_Jettflow wrote:I found the article to be very short but did have some good points to it but I saw little discussion in the thread; only childish mocking of it...so typical for KVR.
What were the good points?
Well, one point the could be discussed is the fact that while today they are going on about cutting and pasting being an epidemic, cutting and pasting has been part of the art since tape. That is not the problem with the music today.

Gamma-UT
KVRAF

Post Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:29 am

JJ_Jettflow wrote:Well, one point the could be discussed is the fact that while today they are going on about cutting and pasting being an epidemic, cutting and pasting has been part of the art since tape. That is not the problem with the music today.
Which is not part of the article. I asked what were the good points of the article that you seemed keen to discuss.

Also, I don't recall the article having an issue with "the music of today". It seemed only concerned that some people might get away with passing off a construction kit as good work, and it didn't even make that point well.

JJ_Jettflow
KVRian

Post Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:34 am

Gamma-UT wrote:
JJ_Jettflow wrote:Well, one point the could be discussed is the fact that while today they are going on about cutting and pasting being an epidemic, cutting and pasting has been part of the art since tape. That is not the problem with the music today.
Which is not part of the article. I asked what were the good points of the article that you seemed keen to discuss.

I don't recall the article having an issue with "the music of today". It seemed only concerned that some people might get away with passing off a construction kit as good work, and it didn't even make that point well.
LOL! Well, should I have said "contemporary music"? I am quite certain they are talking about the current music scene and not the 60's.

I got more from it. I found the article to reference the music scene as a whole, not just the consturcion kit crowd.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”